Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-22-2024, 11:31 AM   #1
1ily
1ily began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Kobo Sideloaded Small Caps Font

Hello! I’ve adjusted my sideloaded fonts (for regular, italics, bold, italics bold) to follow this format here (https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kob...play_Correctly), and I have the font family for small caps and small caps bold. Normally it wouldn’t bother me, but some of my eBooks will have the font-variant: small-caps and the font doesn’t match the rest of the book.

Does anyone know what naming scheme Kobo requires for small caps or if it supports it at all?
1ily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 11:34 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ily View Post
Hello! I’ve adjusted my sideloaded fonts (for regular, italics, bold, italics bold) to follow this format here (https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kob...play_Correctly), and I have the font family for small caps and small caps bold. Normally it wouldn’t bother me, but some of my eBooks will have the font-variant: small-caps and the font doesn’t match the rest of the book.

Does anyone know what naming scheme Kobo requires for small caps or if it supports it at all?
font-variant: small-caps; does not work with ePub. RMSDK is too old a version. You will need to convert those eBooks to KePub using the KoboTouchExtended driver in calibre.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-22-2024 at 11:40 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 01:24 PM   #3
1ily

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
font-variant: small-caps; does not work with ePub. RMSDK is too old a version. You will need to convert those eBooks to KePub using the KoboTouchExtended driver in calibre.
The file is already in the kepub format. I've attached a screenshot of what the small caps looks like (right), and what I'd expect it to look like (left). The size should be bigger, bolder, with more a bit more character spacing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	expected look.png
Views:	61
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	208432   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_036.png
Views:	69
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	208433  
Old 05-22-2024, 01:57 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The file is already in the kepub format. I've attached a screenshot of what the small caps looks like (right), and what I'd expect it to look like (left). The size should be bigger, bolder, with more a bit more character spacing
Here's what the CSS needs to look like.

Code:
.smallcaps {
  font-variant: small-caps;
  text-transform : lowercase;
;
What you do is make sure the span surrounds text you want to be in small-caps. What your screen grab looks like is that the text is in uppercase. small-caps won't work unless the test is in lowercase.

As for the small-cap font you installed in the fonts directory. it won't work for KePub.
Old 05-22-2024, 06:52 PM   #5
1ily

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Here's what the CSS needs to look like.

Code:
.smallcaps {
  text-transform : lowercase;
;
What you do is make sure the span surrounds text you want to be in small-caps. What your screen grab looks like is that the text is in uppercase. small-caps won't work unless the test is in lowercase.

As for the small-cap font you installed in the fonts directory. it won't work for KePub.

The original book had the css settings as:

Code:
.smallcaps {
  text-transform: uppercase;
}
I changed the text transform to lowercase, but the font size still appears inconsistent compared to the rest of the text

Here's a snippet of the book's text & the code. The classes are being applied correctly

Code:
<p class="body-text">Flags whipped and snapped in the breeze. 
<span class="smallcaps">Unity</span>, one declared in plain, black thread. 
<span class="smallcaps">Strength</span>. The others bore the insignia of the revolution, the same one that had been chalked on Jack’s dance floor: the sun with its searing rays.</p>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_039.png
Views:	33
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	208437  
Old 05-22-2024, 06:56 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The next thing to try is to choose a different font. Maybe it's an issue with the font you are using. I would try some of the fonts that come with the firmware.
Old 05-22-2024, 10:16 PM   #7
1ily

I like this font enough that I'll deal with it. It's not like smallcaps appear that often anyway. Thanks anyway!
Old 05-23-2024, 05:14 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I like this font enough that I'll deal with it. It's not like smallcaps appear that often anyway. Thanks anyway!
There is one more solution. You can stop reading in KePub and read in ePub. If you read in ePub, you can access the fonts from outside of the ePub. I'll have to dig up the code for this and make sure it still works.