View Single Post
Old 01-31-2015, 09:25 PM   #73
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Bargain @ $1.99 each from Soho Crime (couponable @ Kobo, price should be the same in the other usual Canada & US stores, may or may not also be discounted in other regions):

Some really nice (mostly) 1st-in-series introductory price-drops I spotted while doing last-minute end-of-month shopping (Soho rotates their offerings on an irregular schedule, so I'd expect these to last for the next couple of days, or weeks, even). Three of them were directly on my wishlist, and accordingly I snapped them up, and one of them has themes Relevant To My Interests™, so of course I bought that as well while it was still cheap.
  • Sacred Games by Australian author Gary Corby (SYKM, Wikipedia), actually the 3rd in his Athenian Mystery series set in Ancient Greece, starring a fictional brother of the philosopher Socrates. I read the 2nd of these in paper from the library years ago and really liked it, and always meant to look the others up. I did say at the time that I'd happily scoop any of the series that went to $3 or below on sale and lo and behold, now one of them is!
  • Detective Inspector Huss by Swedish author Helene Tursten (SYKM, Wikipedia), 1st in her highly popular Göteborg-set police procedural series starring the eponymous Irene Huss, which has been made into a set of films as well (now up to 12, although the newer ones don't have English subtitles on the Blu-Ray releases, sigh), and I've been wanting to try the books my DVDs were based upon. We actually also got this in a freebie Danish translation as part of that Apple iOS Great Free Books promo last year.
  • Frozen Assets by British author Quentin Bates (SYKM), 1st in his Sergeant Gunnhildur Gísladóttir series set in small-town Iceland, which IIRC mitford13 recommended in last year's megathread, and is the 3rd of my Soho wishlist purchases today.
  • White Sky, Black Ice by Alaskan author Stan Jones (SYKM, Wikipedia), 1st in his Alaska-set Nathan Active series starring a State Trooper of Inupiak descent. This novel was a 2000 Barry Award Finalist for Best First Novel according to SYKM, and I actually bought it earlier in the month when it popped up on discount before the current Kobo coupon contest started, since my interest in nordic things also extends to the Arctic Circle and the Inuit & Inupiat and other aboriginal peoples thereof.
  • The Big Both Ways by Alaskan author John Straley (SYKM, Wikipedia), a standalone 1930s-set mystery adventure involving a logging camp mishap and some sort of life-changing roadtrip to Alaska with some pursuit by a Seattle detective. This didn't look too interesting to me from the e-book blurb (I'm cribbing the much more interesting description from the paperback), but SYKM says that the author's other Alaska-set series netted him two Shamus Award nominations, so I'll skim the sample and pick it up if it looks promising.

Last edited by ATDrake; 01-31-2015 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Grammatical agreement.