View Single Post
Old 07-19-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arfarf624 View Post
I am assuming you are starting from firmware 3.2.1 ,
also do you think it would work with a wifi only kindle?
Sounds like a good idea
get amazon items, use calibre to back them up, then factory reset, the follow your instructions

to make things easyer, could you provide links to the items, and also where is the .assets file located on the kindle
The link talking about 3.2.1 jailbreak is here.

The screen saver hacks are here. I used the same method discussed in the jailbreak hack to get the screen saer file onto the Kindle while it was restarting.

The posts talking about creating a blank .assets file is here. The assets file/folder is in the system directory which is hidden so you have to set up your windows system to allow it to see hidden system files. This folder/file is not there when you first get the Kindle as it is added after it phones home the first time.

BTW, if you try this when it is just out of the box, you can skip the step which deals with registering as they are pre-registered form Amazon.

I have watched for three days and the fix still seems to hold. I would see no reason it wouldn't work for WiFi unless there is a significantly different way that Amazon deals with the screen savers which would not make any real sense. I'm going to do a factory reset later and go back to the regular system so I can see what AT&T actually sends.

Also, keep in mind, they can shut Kindles off at will, they do so with stolen units. If they wanted to, they could determine that nothing they are sending is being received and they could theoretically shut you down for violating terms of service.

Last edited by chas0039; 07-19-2011 at 11:34 AM.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote