View Single Post
Old 08-23-2008, 05:16 PM   #14
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
After performing the upgrade to the version 1.1.708 (was OK) and after some hours of reading, my cybook is in infinite loop and not start.

I tried to reset and did not work, the button off and did not work, installed the version 1.1.708 again did not work. My cybook died?
I just had the same problem after my power ran out a few days ago, shutting of my Cybook the hard way. The problem occurs both with and without a SD card. Tried reflashing using 708, didn't work. Tried reflashing using 708fmt (for link see post #5 in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26323), got the Cybook back in working order. As a side node, this killed the dictionary I was storing in internal memory (no biggie, it was the GCIDE dictionary, easily downloaded again). EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot: I have the 64 MB version.

A bit of speculation: It would seem to me that this is indeed memory corruption, because the device shut down hard when the power failed. I recall getting forced harddisk checks on linux systems after power failures, indicating that the filesystem doesn't like not being dismounted properly (Linux users, please confirm? Is this indeed the case with the filesystem used on the Cybook?) and thus leading to memory corruption. Perhaps this is only fatal if the power loss occurs during an operation on the memory, e.g. changing a page, as I've had some power losses already without any problems.

Two random thoughts: A note on the wiki warning users not to let power run out would be nice. Perhaps I'll write one tomorrow. And, should I be right about the cause, a battery indicator on the reading screen definitely wouldn't hurt.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote