View Single Post
Old 05-17-2019, 04:00 PM   #5
SJC-Caron
Enthusiast
SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Boyue Likebook (T103D) Mimas
"Live-blog" of the set-up process for my new Likebook Mimas

I have just received my Likebook Mimas this morning and have just completed unboxing the device. Everything is as expected. It was nice of Good-E-Reader to ship the device as a gift to avoid tariffs / taxes. The tracking website used by Japan Post was not as real-time as the tracking websites used by other shipping companies, because when I checked on my package location earlier this morning my Mimas was still in customs at Pearson International Airport in Toronto (and I live in Ottawa).

The Likebook Mimas itself is bigger than I expected, mostly due to the bezels. I got the black version even though the Good-E-Reader store only had the white version as a purchasing option (which is OK by me because if I had a choice then I would have gotten the black version). The screen is not flush with the bezels, but the indentation is not as deep as the indentation that was typical of e-readers from several years ago. The buttons on the device do not stick-out as much as photos and videos of the device makes it look like. Also, there is no branding on the front of the device (another plus for me.) The stylus that comes with the device feels light, cheep, and plasticly, but at the same time feels durable. The same can be said for the spare nibs as well. The case is as expected, and I have not experienced the too-tight issue that some reviewers had with it.

I now plan to connect the Mimas to my PC to charge; then turn it on, connect it to my home wi-fi, and let it update itself as needed. Then I will be following along with this video to configure the device, and then I will be raiding MobileRead's “Summary of Modified Fonts” thread to find fonts to add to the Mimas using the advice provided in the Mimas Quick Start Guide and on the Boyue Likebook Twitter account (creating a Fonts folder in the root directory).

I have several comments and questions at this point (pre-turning-on the device) in the set-up process:

1) Based on advice received here on Reddit and on MobileReads, particularly the comment from pazos who worked on adding Likebook support to KO Reader, I will be getting Moon + Reader. Despite other e-reader apps having Likebook support, Moon + Reader is still said to be the best experience for Android devices.

2) The Mimas’ Quick Start Guide indicates that ZIP / RAR files are supported and since CBZ / CBR are just a slight modification to the ZIP / RAR containers, I am expecting out-of-the-box support for CBZ / CBR files.

3) I will be installing a 128GB microSD card into the Mimas and will let the device itself handle any required formatting. I hope to integrate the microSD card into the main device storage.

4) What are the pros and cons for using the included screen protector? I’m inclined not to, but I want to hear more opinions first.

5) How will the default e-book library / organization software handle metadata from e-books transferred to the device from Caliber (eg: series title, subject tags, book descriptions, etc.)? The same question for Moon + Reader? Any recommendations for Caliber plug-ins that were designed specifically for Likebook devices?

6) I don’t want to have my Mimas locked-down behind a password or pin number, but is there a way to lock-down particular apps (eg: G-Mail) behind a password or pin number?

7) Any app recommendations? Particularly for games (board games like Chess, Go, etc.; text-based games like SeedShip; puzzle games like sudoku, crosswords, etc.), web browsers, and text-to-speech apps that plays nicely with Moon + Reader and the Likebook’s default e-book viewers? As a dyslexic finding a good text-to-speech app is particularly important to me.

Last edited by SJC-Caron; 05-17-2019 at 04:08 PM. Reason: formatting
SJC-Caron is offline   Reply With Quote