View Single Post
Old 08-22-2015, 04:51 PM   #46
iliis
Pastafari
iliis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
finally unbricked my Kindle :)

I found out, a friend of mine owned a DXG too and was willing to lend it to me (on the condition that I buy him a new one, if I broke that one too ). I rooted it, got a copy of / and flashed it on mine. Et voila: My Kindle is running again

@knc1 and the others here: Thank you very much for your support!

One last question: I'd like to provide a full set of backup files (or at least a rootfs.img) of the DXG (009) for others. How do I do that? Which stuff would make sense? And most importanly: How do I ensure that there is no private information in there? I don't want to get banned by Amazon

For the curious, these are the full steps it took me to restore my Kindle DX Graphite:
Spoiler:

SERIOUS WARNING: Even though the steps are simple, a single mishap can cause a lot more trouble. If you're not familiar with the Linux command line or never heard the word UART do not attempt this and instead ask your local nerd/geek/sysadmin (and buy him some beer and pizza).

Get a second (working!) Kindle DX Graphite and:
  1. Make sure, all devices are fully charged! (Charge them for a day or two if in doubt.)
  2. Jailbreak it (this is completely ordinary and described elsewhere, I add it here just for completeness' sake).
    • Ensure, the Kindle is running the most up-to-date firmware (2.5.8) and update if not.
    • Connect running Kindle via USB and mount the document partition.
    • Copy all documents to your PC as backup (also copy all hidden files).
    • Copy Update_jailbreak_0.13.N_dxg_install.bin to the docment root of Kindle.
    • Unmount the partition and disconnect the USB cable.
    • Apply the patch via: [Menu] -> Settings -> [Menu] -> Update Your Kindle -> OK
      (This will fail with an Error 'E006'. This is normal and harmless. The Kindle will automatically reboot.)
  3. Apply yifan's kindleupdater to get an image of the root filesystem:
    • Ensure that there are at least 900MB free on the Kindle!
    • Copy update_dxg-2.5.8-prepare_kindle.bin to document root of Kindle
    • Unmount, apply via settings as before.
    • This will take a long time (at least an hour or so), but will provide some status text of what's going on. The Kindle will again reboot automatically when done.
  4. after applying yifan's patch, mount the Kindle's document partition again: There's an output folder containing a rootfs.img and an update_restore-os.bin file. Copy these to your PC.
  5. throw away the second Kindle, you don't need it anymore.

On the first and bricked device:
  1. connect to your Kindle's serial port. This requires some soldering and a bit of electrical knowledge (Hint: 1.8V (!) and 115200,8,N,1, see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49942for details)
  2. enter recovery mode by sending enter, just after the Kernel loads (there's a prompt, but you have only a second or so)
  3. Connect USB and choose 'load MMC0 over USB storage' by pressing '3' (This requires a password "fiona####" which can be calculated from the serial number, for example with the Kindle Diagnostics Tool)
  4. There should now be four partitions visible:

Code:
    $ fdisk -l /dev/sdf

Disk /dev/sdf: 3.8 GiB, 4047503360 bytes, 7905280 sectors
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disklabel type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0xe9e05acd

Device     Boot  Start     End Sectors  Size Id Type
    /dev/sdf1  *         2  819263  819262  400M 83 Linux
    /dev/sdf2       819264  868415   49152   24M 83 Linux
    /dev/sdf3       868416  884799   16384    8M 83 Linux
    /dev/sdf4       884800 7905279 7020480  3.4G  b W95 FAT32
  5. Don't mount anything and copy the rootfs image:
    WARNING: dd can very easily break everything! Don't do this if you've never used a terminal!
    WARNING: Ensure that you've got the right device by looking at the output of 'fdisk -l' or something. In the listing of step 4 it was /dev/sdf1. Note the '1': it's /dev/sdf1 and NOT /dev/sdf!
    Code:
    dd if=rootfs.img of=/dev/sdX1
  6. Done, hopefully your Kindle will work again after a reboot.

iliis is offline   Reply With Quote