View Single Post
Old 08-14-2023, 06:52 PM   #30
barbiedolphin
barbiedolphin is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why would anyone want to spend so much time/effort on a k4 NT which is meh! at best?
1. I like many things about it, especially its durability (and not least because I have a really nice case for it, which i'm also planning to mod with a solar panel) - the main bottleneck is the storage for me, which OTG would fix. KOReader improves things immensely.
2. Isn't this forum's philosophy about doing weird things with e-ink and pushing devices to their limits? In this case it's also something useful, instead of pure experimentation
3. Tons of these devices still endure, and an easy-to-follow guide (which I'd attempt to arrange if I succeed in this) would be great not just for me, but for everyone who might want to extend the device's usefulness and learn to do kernel stuff with it. Otherwise it seems kind of a waste to have had hardly anyone to ever use the kernel
4. I like learning things but not enough to risk bricking through blind experimentation
5. The vast majority of the work (actually creating a working two-way OTG kernel) has already been done, I just need help safely compiling/installing it (which requires esoteric knowledge which is likely obvious to longtime posters but not to me)

(It's weird how much more intuitive android hacking is to me by comparison - unsurprisingly so, since it's much more popular and well-documented, even if it does require wading through an absurdly enormous, fragmented, and hacky ecosystem.)

Last edited by barbiedolphin; 08-16-2023 at 04:39 AM.
barbiedolphin is offline   Reply With Quote