View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
A-Z of great reads

Here's a thread for another list of books. I'm looking for books* that you really enjoyed reading - books that you remember well, and would be happy to re-read.

But to make creating the list a bit more intersting: in alphabetical order by title†, one book per post, each following on from the last post. I'll list the titles here as people add them:

* Books, i.e. the book title, not the title of some short story or poem in the book.
† "A" and "The" should be ignored. Also "Le" and all other non-English equivalents.

I'll start the thread off with

Alex & Me — Irene M. Pepperberg. A fascinating account of thirty years in the life of parrot and researcher.

Bangkok 8 — John Burdett. Fascinating Buddhist detective & outlandish plots.
Le Comte de Monte-Christo — Alexandre Dumas
Double Indemnity — James M. Cain. Hands down the greatest crime writer ever!
The End of Eternity — Isaac Asimov. One of his most unusual stories.
The From Here to Eternity — James Jones
Gilgamesh — Anonymous
The House of Spirits — Isabel Allende
Into Thin Air — Jon Krakauer. A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster.
Joshua Then and Now — Mordecai Richler. A semi-autobiographical novel.
Kruistocht in Spijkerbroek — Thea Beckman. Crusade in Jeans is the English title.
The Lion of Boaz-Jachin and Jachin-Boaz — Russell Hoban. "One of those absolutely unclassifiable beauties that come along every so often"
Messenger of Truth — Jacqueline Winspear. A female psychologist/investigator in 1930s London. Great if you like historical fiction/mystery or female detectives.
The Neverending Story — Michael Ende
The Odyssey — Homer. The homeward wanderings of an early war hero.
The Prophet — Kahlil Gibran. Poetic essays.
Question Quest by Piers Anthony. Fantasy and Puns.
Rip Van Winkle — Washington Irving. Short and somewhat funny.
The Sparrow — Mary Doria Russell. First contact with an extraterrestrial civilization.
Tai-Pan — James Clavell. A fabulous epic of the Far East.
Under the Dome — Stephen King. Mysterious goings-on.
The Voyage of the Beagle — Charles Darwin. An account of his trip around the world.
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame. Mole, Ratty, Badger and Mr. Toad.
The Xmas Files: The Philosophy of Christmas — Stephen Law
You're Stepping on my Cloak & Dagger — Roger Hall
Zorba the Greek — Nikos Kazanfzakis. "one of the great characters of modern fiction"

Last edited by pdurrant; 05-15-2010 at 01:26 PM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote