Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 07-26-2006, 04:57 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
TCPMP becomes CorePlayer and turns commercial

It's been setting geeky hearts aflutter for some time now, but it seems the guys from CoreCodec are getting ready for the release of CorePlayer, the commercial derivate of TCPMP. In its first incarnation the player is rumored to include the following features:
  • Skinning
  • Advanced streaming (HTTP/MMS/UDP/RTP/RTSP)
  • New splitter/rendering features (e.g. TS streams)
  • IPTV ready (EPG is tbd per solution)
  • Codecs: CoreMP3, CoreASPm CoreAVC, CoreAAC v2.0; to be added later: CoreAC3, CorePIX, CoreSVG, NSV support, Matroska DRM, Microsoft's Plays for Sure DRM, ON2 codecs
  • Visualization engine
Handheld enthusiast will be happy to hear that CorePlayer Mobile supports H.264/AVC and is optimized for various platforms such as Intel XScale, ARM, and Freescale processors (with support for Windows Mobile, CE, UMPC, Symbian, Linux, Palm, and Java). We are not exactly sure what it means in terms of the future development of open-source TCPMP (or BetaPlayer, as it is rumord to be renamed to again), but one cannot blame the programmers for trying to make some money out of their hard efforts.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:13 AM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Very exciting news! I wonder if they are doing a big bang release with all platforms, or incremental?

But July is coming fast to a close...
Advert
Old 07-27-2006, 04:13 AM   #3
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
For those of us who are a little slow ...

Does H.264/AVC support imply iPod mp4 compatible so I won't have to run all those messy conversion tools?

Last edited by frquixote; 07-27-2006 at 05:50 AM.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:35 PM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The site (http://www.tcpmp.com/) seems to be unavailable right now. Can anyone else confirm?

That's kind of exciting because the site said something about coming in July and, well, it's July 27 so maybe this is it?!
Old 08-01-2006, 10:44 PM   #5
betaboy
betaboy began at the beginning.

Device: x50v
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
The site (http://www.tcpmp.com/) seems to be unavailable right now. Can anyone else confirm?

That's kind of exciting because the site said something about coming in July and, well, it's July 27 so maybe this is it?!
Hey guys thanx for the mention...

We have been working hard behind the scenes over the past few months on CorePlayer and BetaPlayer. Let me take a secto describe the two efforts.

BetaPlayer is our open source player (formally TCPMP). It will support CE/Palm/Windows. It will share the 'cores' from CorePlayer and CorePlayer OEM.

CorePlayer is our closed source effort. It will support CE/Windows Mobile/Palm/Symbian/Windows and by Xmas be out for OS X and Linux GTK and Linux QT.

There is alot more I can say... but I will hold off for now as it is not in our best interests to do so. I will state we are planning to get CorePlayer around the time school starts here in the US (but dont hold me to the).

Alot of people need to realize that quality development takes time... and what we have put together here is a media playback framework that is unequaled. Out of the 1.xx box we will support up to 6 DRM systems, feature advanced skinning support, Streaming (RTP/RTSP/HTTP/MMS/UDP), UPNP support... amung many other things.

Most of which will be in 1.0 but some we be added as we reach our 1.5 release scheduled for this Xmas.

So look for the www.coreplayer.com launch soon and the www.betaplayer.org soon afterwards.
Advert
Old 08-02-2006, 06:29 AM   #6
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Thanks for the update... it's a quality program already, and sounds like it's going to be a really amazing step forward. This is such a big deal that I'd say it actually makes a significant difference in the capabilities of the associated handheld/phone platforms, all just because of one program.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one drooling over what you guys are creating. But there's also a lot of appreciation for the approach you are taking, and how you allow for the current and future free versions. Personally, I can't wait for the commercial version features, but that's a generous approach to have a quite competent free one available, and I know that your team has talked in the past about your desire to keep things affordable.

I hope the rest of your development work goes smoothly, and that you find great success with this product!