Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 05-19-2006, 08:54 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Palm Treo 650 among cells with highest radiation levels

While debates about the effect of cell phone radiation continue to rage, we are pretty confident that no company is thrilled to secure a place on the top list of phones with high radiation levels. The following list was recently compiled by Cnet ranking phones according to their Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) values:

1) Motorola Slvr L6 - 1.58
2a) Motorola V120c - 1.55
2b) Motorola V265 - 1.55
4) Motorola V70 - 1.54
5a) Motorola C290 - 1.53
5b) Motorola P8767 - 1.53
5c) Motorola ST7868 - 1.53
5d) Motorola ST7868W - 1.53
9a) Motorola A845 - 1.51
9b) Palm Treo 650 GSM - 1.51
9c) Panasonic Allure - 1.51

The FCC defines the SAR as "a value that corresponds to the relative amount of RF energy absorbed in the head of a user of a wireless handset. The FCC limit for public exposure from cellular telephones is an SAR level of 1.6 watts per kilogram (1.6 W/kg)."
Old 05-19-2006, 09:30 AM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I've got to figure it's not as much a problem with a Treo even if the levels are higher -- who is going to talk long hours on a Treo form factor?! Not many is my guess. I think they will all be using a wireless bluetooth headset on their ear.

On the other hand, like I said before, I hate to think about the effect of it from my pocket. But those are levels with the phone transmitting during a call, right?
Advert
Old 05-19-2006, 09:39 AM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
These are max numbers which don't necessarily represent the average radiation. When you have a very weak signal, your phone might try to constantly "poll" for a reception, in which case radiation can exceed the average level. And in general the farer you are away from a cell phone antenna station, the stronger the radiation.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:50 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
For more on how the FDA examines SAR levels, check out this just released SAR report on the Treo 700p:

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/fo...ive_or_pdf=pdf
Old 05-19-2006, 09:20 PM   #5
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
oh great ... I have the L6 ... time to wear Magneto's helmet ... or something ...
Advert
Old 09-19-2006, 09:31 PM   #6
letah
letah began at the beginning.

Device: Treo 650
Is radiation higher when on the Web/doing email?

Hi all,

I'm really sensitive to EMFs. Often get numb on my face when using any kind of handheld. Anyway, the Treo doesn't bother me so much (not as bad as my Uniden phone at home), but when I am surfing the Web on my Treo or getting my email, I feel dizzy and want to throw up. I used to think it was just a coincidence. But it happens every time. I don't even have the thing anywhere near my head. So I'm wondering if the radiation level is higher for Internet wireless needs. Does anyone know where I can find out?

Thanks.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:40 AM   #7
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
That's interesting, letah. I had never heard of anything like that before. It also makes me wonder if it affects us all more than we think, even if we can't feel it. Do regular clamshell cell phones affect you also?
Old 09-21-2006, 08:46 PM   #8
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
WiFi has also radiation, but with a different wave length. If you worry so much about radiation from your cell phone, I suggest you get a bluetooth headset (or, for the most paranoid, a wired headset!), which radiates at considerably lower strength than a cellphone.