Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 11-07-2005, 10:51 PM   #1
Brian
MobileRead Editor
Brian has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 700p, Zodiac2
Palm's Ed Colligan talks to Time

Time.com has an article from the November 14, 2005 issue of Time magazine about Palm and the future of mobile computing titled PC in Your Palm. Ed Colligan, the president and CEO of Palm, Inc. spoke with Time's Laura Locke about Palm's vision for mobile computing, including:
  • Palm's priority on making the Treo more affordable for broader consumer markets
  • the importance of mobile search
  • the future of portable video using applications like MobiTV
  • opportunities to partner with Apple Computer
  • Palm's decision to team up with Microsoft to go after the enterprise market

Read the full article here.

Related: New Treos in the works and other Palm rumors
Old 11-08-2005, 10:51 AM   #2
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Very informative interview. From what I gather, there'll be the Treo and the Treo in the future. Don't expect any dedicated high-end PDAs from Palm anymore.
Advert
Old 11-08-2005, 11:09 AM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I think they might still make non-phone pdas. They are a good place to try new technology, and they still produce a profit. It's just not a growth market. But we'll see. I'm converted myself to the smartphone idea. But I think I probably prefer smartphones that are more like power-pdas with a phone in them.

I'd like to see a nice one from Palm that looks kind of like this (it's the one Michael Mace pointed out on his blog)...
http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/pro.../0,,70,00.html

Very nice. Closed it looks like a regular phone. Open it's a full pda.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:11 PM   #4
Antoine of MMM
Mobile Ministry Magazine
Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nokia N75/N800 Internet Tablet
I liked this article as well. Not so much because it has said anything "new" but because it as framed kinda nicely for a soon to come new model or two.

I really feel that Palm is really gearing up to change gears on a few fronts, and I do hope that is new models that really meet customer needs at attainable pricepoints.