Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 08-26-2005, 04:02 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 / Nexus 7 / Kindle PW
StyleTap is one step closer bringing Palm OS to WM

Sure what better use could you have for your Pocket PC than to run a Motorola 68K emulator on it to play your favorite Palm OS games from the past. StyleTap allows software originally written for Palm OS handhelds to run on Windows Mobile devices. The fifth preview release (V0.9.080) is one step closer to the real thing:
  • Compatibility improvements: Serial IO improvements; NetLib and TCP/IP: Autodial works with PPP modem connection configured in Pocket PC; improvements for Life Balance, MIMS, Mathpad, and SongBook.
  • General improvements: Major performance improvements for graphics-intensive applications and games; special handling for AXIM X50v graphics accelerator (DIB mode color mapping); improved handling of armlets.
Click here to download the 14-days trial.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:37 PM   #2
gadgetguru
Addict
gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Tungsten T5
Surprised that Palmsource didn't take action against the developers of StyleTap... Even if the OS was reverse engineered from scratch, Surely Palmsource lawyers should be able to find some infringing (imagined or not) portions. to at least get a restraining order against distribution... it is a tactics used again and again across the tech world...Microsoft, SCO, and especially Apple, where the developer of a Windows Mobile application whose interface was made to look like an ipod got a cease-and-desist...

Either, Palmsource is asleep at the wheel, or doesn't want to waste it's limited resources paying lawyer fees...

Personally, I am torn between the two... I want Palmsource to survive but the presence of Styletap will make sure that my favorite Palm application will run even if no one makes Palm OS products anymore (not an impossibility given that the only Palm OS OEM of note is Palm, Inc. and the rumor of it supporting MS with Treo 700...)...

Enthusiast
Old 08-26-2005, 01:02 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note3, MacBook Air, iPad Air
I wouldn't count the lawyers out yet. But right now, you've gotta figure that market share and staying in the market is priority one, so even a PalmOS emulator on Win Mobile is good news. Then if someone likes it, they are a good candidate customer for the "real" thing! I wonder... does StyleTap maybe have some kind of licensing agreement with PalmSource already?
Old 08-26-2005, 03:24 PM   #4
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
This is so comforting. Hopefully my Zodiac will last for another 2 years, but if I ever have to buy another PDA (and, in the event that Palm keeps dropping the ball) I won't be so lost on a Windows Mobile PDA with my special Palm OS app's running on it.

Let's go, Zodiac, let's go!!
POL9A
Old 08-27-2005, 11:48 AM   #5
derekweb
Groupie
derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Palm Treo 700p & iPaq hx2755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pride Of Lions
Let's go, Zodiac, let's go!!
POL9A
ROFL ... Potter fan.

Personally, an emulator is a "poor" substitute for the real thing. However, in THIS case I LOVE this emulator. It was a bit wonky in the last release I tested, but you k now. It's still in beta. Got to expect issues like that. I fully applaud them for being able to do this.

Besides, I have a zodiac 2 and t3 sitting around. The zod2 is the only with power charging it, as I keep it around with ebooks for the wife when she heads out on military duty. But my t3 has a severe digitizer issue. This application allows me to still use my favorite applications that I legally purchased.

One last note. If Palm WERE to come out with an actually viable and STABLE and well-designed device, then I'll switch back. However, the LD was a joke (nice attempt thought, looked great on paper, but performance sucks!), the T5 is crap.

I want something STRONGER. Military. Hello. Zodiac 2 is great for this, but it's the wrong form factor (for me. The Wife loves it, as she's double jointed and apparently doesn't mind the landscape first). I need something DURABLE (not the T5), great screen (pictures and movies, not to mention e-books), and horsepower (I run databases on my ahndhelds, to keep track of things, not to mention finance computations and tracking!).

So far, I no longer see Palm as being able to provide for my needs. Although, if they can stick to the "Zen of Palm", and get back to actually delivering handhelds that people want, PPC will have to seriously work again to keep me. Their upcoming WM2005 isn't as thrilling as Microsoft would have you believe.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:58 AM   #6
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekweb
The Wife loves it, as she's double jointed and apparently doesn't mind the landscape first).
I wish my wife was double-jointed and liked the landscape first.

I agree that emulators are tough, but they're very necessary in select applications. Virtual PC on my Mac, for one. More importantly, my video game emulators on my Z2. The world might as well stop spinning if I can't play Donkey Kong 3 or Justice League Task Force.

Since I've gotten into handheld gaming, I'm realizing that the Z2 is a great little PDA. When I have to upgrade (hopefully in several years) I know that I'll be giving up this necessary feature (as future PDA manufacturers are sure to blame Tapwave's design for their downfall.)

But we live in the present, and right now all is well in my PDA world. But when I need that Palm OS emulator, I'm sure that it'll be bug-tested and ready for purchase.
POL9A