Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 07:40 PM   #1
isotherm
Connoisseur
isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 2
Hotkeys for Kindle 2

I've developed this script to add customized hotkey support to the Kindle 2. It doesn't modify any files, so it should be able to peacefully coexist with official updates. For now I included sample shortcuts which add SHIFT-1 for exclamation point, etc. But the sky is the limit; anything you can think of to do in a shell script can be the action of a hotkey. I have a script developed for GPS coordinates that I hope to post in the other thread soon.

Below I've reproduced the README included in the zip file. Before I do the work of making this into a package, I would appreciate feedback from anyone who can load this onto their Kindle via telnet/ssh access. Once loaded, you can customize your shortcuts via mass storage. Please let me know if you find this useful!

Code:
NOTE: This has been designed and tested on a Kindle 2. It may or may not work
on other devices. At this time, you must understand how to access the root
filesystem of your Kindle. Hopefully an update package will be developed soon.

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Plug your Kindle into your computer as a mass storage device.
2. Create a folder called:
     hotkeys
3. Copy the contents of this ZIP file into the newly created folder.
4. Log in to your Kindle via telnet, ssh, or serial console.
5. Set the filesystem writable by executing:
     mntroot rw
6. Install the script:
     mv /mnt/us/hotkeys/hotkeys /etc/init.d
7. Enable the script to be started automatically:
     ln -s /etc/init.d/hotkeys /etc/rcS.d/S75hotkeys
8. Reset the filesystem as read-only:
     mntroot ro
9. To begin using the script without rebooting:
     /etc/init.d/hotkeys start

Custom hotkeys are now available for your use, and you may now switch back to
USB storage device mode. Load scripts for any desired hotkeys into the folder
you created for them. When keys are pressed, the "hotkeys" folder is checked
for both one and two key scripts, e.g. if the user has pressed SYM, 1:
     \hotkeys\SYM-1.sh   -- then --   \hotkeys\SYM.sh
The names of the keys are as shown on the Kindle's keyboard, except these:
     NEXTL, NEXTR, ENTER, SHIFT, AA, UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, SELECT
The send_keys and send_string functions are available for your use inside of
hotkey scripts. Their format is:
     send_keys key1 [key2 [key...]]
     send_string 'string' ['keys-before' ['keys-after']]
The send_string function will type out whatever 'string' you specify, using
SYM as necessary for symbols. Before typing, it will simulate pressing any
keys listed in 'keys-before', and after typing it will press the keys listed
in 'keys-after', if any. Here are examples of their usage (each has the same
ultimate effect):
     send_keys DEL DEL SHIFT H E L L O SPACE W O R L D SYM RIGHT SELECT ENTER
     send_string 'Hello world!' 'DEL DEL' 'ENTER'

LICENSE AND DISCLAIMER

You may freely use and share unmodified versions of this software so long as
you do not charge a fee for redistribution. This software may not be bundled,
preloaded on devices, included in collections, or otherwise aggregated without
prior written consent of the copyright holder. All other rights reserved to
the maximum extent permitted by applicable law.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE
SOFTWARE.
Attached Files
File Type: zip hotkeys.zip (5.1 KB, 447 views)

Last edited by isotherm; 07-29-2010 at 08:40 PM.
isotherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:00 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
That's pretty neat! Great work, thanks!

On a sidenote, you just broke my brain with those awk scripts . For the life of me, I can't stomach the awk syntax, and never had the courage to delve into it ^^.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
isotherm
Connoisseur
isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Any comments after use? Should I make an update package?

I (ab)used awk so that I could use only built-in commands. I have scratchbox set up as well as an Ubuntu ARM chroot, so it might be better to compile a C program for the purpose...
Old 07-30-2010, 09:12 PM   #4
isotherm
Connoisseur

If you don't like starting the device automatically in USB networking mode, here is a nice hotkey script. Place as \hotkeys\ALT-U.sh:
Code:
send_string ';debugOn' 'DEL WAIT' 'ENTER WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT'                   
send_string '`usbNetwork' 'DEL WAIT' 'ENTER'
Now you can just press ALT-U from the home screen to enable USB networking.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:57 AM   #5
choff
choff walks where angels fear to fly.choff walks where angels fear to fly.choff walks where angels fear to fly.choff walks where angels fear to fly.choff walks where angels fear to fly.choff walks where angels fear to fly.choff walks where angels fear to fly.choff walks where angels fear to fly.choff walks where angels fear to fly.choff walks where angels fear to fly.choff walks where angels fear to fly.

Device: Kindle DXG
Whoo hooo! Thank you so much for this! I tested it on my new DX Graphite and it works perfectly. Sure, a package would also be nice to have :-). Keep up the good work!
choff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 03:51 PM   #6
isotherm
Connoisseur

Glad to hear it also works on the DX... Although I guess SHIFT+1 etc. aren't very useful for it! A lot of these hotkey scripts rely on the layout of the SYM box or other menus, so hopefully they all work on the DX as well.

Here is a script to start the web browser from virtually anywhere you are in the Kindle. Place as \hotkeys\ALT-W.sh:
Code:
send_keys HOME MENU WAIT DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN SELECT WAIT SELECT
I'm still working on the pseudo-GPS coordinates hotkey.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:26 AM   #7
Hrant
Polymath in training
Hrant began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2 (Global)
Very cool stuff.

For one thing we certainly need access to more characters. I can't even type my street name (Cañada) properly! Will this let us do that sort of thing?

hhp
Hrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:43 PM   #8
isotherm
Connoisseur

Can you enter that key normally (even if it takes a lot of keystrokes)? For now, this is basically like macro functionality. I haven't figured out how to inject arbitrary keys into the framework yet.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:22 PM   #9
Hrant
Polymath in training

I don't get it - you mean to get a "ñ"? I see no way of entering it (except maybe copy-pasting from a document).

hhp

Last edited by Hrant; 08-01-2010 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 08-03-2010, 03:29 PM   #10
jupstin
Groupie
jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can I set up a hotkey to take the place of pressing the 5-way controller on my Kindle 2? It cracked recently, and is neither consistent nor responsive any longer. I'd love to be able to use hotkeys for this. Ideally, I would want Enter to function in this capacity.
jupstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:40 PM   #11
isotherm
Connoisseur

Yes, you could! Place as \hotkeys\ENTER.sh:
Code:
send_keys SELECT
Note that when you push enter, both enter and select will be processed. It may make more sense for you to assign a hotkey like SHIFT-ENTER or ALT-ENTER. Then, if pressing ENTER doesn't work in a certain situation, you could go ahead and press the hotkey.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:46 AM   #12
jupstin
Groupie
jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's great! This will save me a lot of frustration. Thanks so much.

EDIT: Woah - I think I spoke too soon. That looks a bit more complicated than I can handle. I'll have to wait for a version for Dummies (or at least for "less smarties")

Last edited by jupstin; 08-06-2010 at 10:57 AM.
jupstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:34 PM   #13
Zanshin
Connoisseur
Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 4 (non-touch), Kindle DX Graphite, Asus Transformer
Hello.

Would it be possible, with this hack, to force the Kindle to refresh a second time when pressing the NEXT or PREVIOUS buttons?
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:41 PM   #14
Hrant
Polymath in training

Good idea - to get rid of the ghosting, right?
This would also be useful when viewing PDFs.
What I'm having to do sometimes is turn the
Menu on-off to get rid of ghosting.

hhp
Old 08-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #15
Zanshin
Connoisseur
Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 4 (non-touch), Kindle DX Graphite, Asus Transformer
I'm particularly annoyed by the ghosting when looking at a series of pictures.
I don't think it's too noticeable when reading books but you can clearly see it when using the picture viewer. So yeah, I'm thinking that a double refresh would solve that problem (althought using a little more battery).
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote