Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-15-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Joe Wilcox: I was wrong about the iPad

We've been discussing the whole immersion/distraction qualities of the iPad lately, so I found this rather interesting:

http://www.betanews.com/joewilcox/ar...Pad/1276619322

Quote:
I was wrong. On further reflection, I realized that iPad offers fresh functionality: Immersion. I find there are fewer reading distractions, and content is better presented than on a laptop and browser. I'm more focused and retain more of what I read. For reasons not easily explained, I find myself more thoroughly reading iBooks than defaulting to the skimming I sometimes do with physical books. Part of this immersive experience is the technology, but also how iPad is used. Apple's tablet is a sit down and focus device, as much because of size and shape as screen and user interface. The totality -- physical design and software benefits -- is immersion.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:06 PM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
lol. funny how some folk complain about too many distractions and some find it easy to focus.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I think it's really both. If a book is good, I tend to stick with it. If it has a "slow" part, or is simply not that great a book, I tend to wonder on over the email, crossword puzzles....etc.

If the book is good, then I really see no difference......

The reason I think I read a little less now than I did on my Sony is this. When I picked up the Sony and sat on the couch, I was pretty much going to read. When I turned the device on, there were no other options. When I grab the iPad and sit on the couch, the options are many. When I turn it on I see the reading app.... but also everything else..... so I may think, "oh, I'll check the news real quick", and 30 minutes later get around to my book.....

Just my personal experience and thoughts, far from absolute truth....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:57 PM   #4
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I'm reading less right now, because I am using the iPad as my main MobileRead portal. And as we all know MR is the world's largest chronophage...

Hey! The spell checker didn't hack up a fur ball on that!

Ooh! Shiny!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:59 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I see no issue with reading on an iPad. You just do it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 05:09 AM   #6
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I see no issue with reading on an iPad. You just do it.
Can you imagine what it would ave been like if there had been a blogosphere when documents shifted from rolls to bound books? All the debate about whether the hard covers would be comfortable to hold for long periods, whether the division into separate pages would interrupt the reading experience and lose the immersion. Is it worth the cost of replacing all the pigeonholes in which you keep the scrolls with these new-fangled 'shelves'?

And then printing? Who wants to read the mechanically produced printged version and lose the pleasure of well-executed calligraphy?

I love books - the look and the feel of them. But I love the content, and I want to get to the content wherever I am.
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:42 AM   #7
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Want some distraction? Set up pushmail and try to resist the urge to read your mail when you heard the ping.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:31 AM   #8
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
Want some distraction? Set up pushmail and try to resist the urge to read your mail when you heard the ping.
it's not that hard. i do all the time. if you're really that easy, turn off the alert sound.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:41 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
Actually, that would be quite easy. Most email I get these days is list stuff.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:43 AM   #10
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I'm reading less right now, because I am using the iPad as my main MobileRead portal.
Ohh I wouldn't get any reading done checking MR every minute, it's bad enough as it is. One more argument for not getting the iPad
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:48 PM   #11
mtnmedic
Enthusiast
mtnmedic has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 64GB WiFi + 3G, Astak EZ Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
it's not that hard. i do all the time. if you're really that easy, turn off the alert sound.
Yep. If I'm really engrossed in a good book, I will make ways to remove distractions.

Lovin' my iPad!
mtnmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:44 PM   #12
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
I read Betanews and Joe has been pushing out Apple articles non stop. I just took him for a troll and the comment section is about 90% anti-Apple so they eat this up. What's really funny is a couple days ago some one posted saying Joe would do a 180 on the iPad just to stir up the page views and sure enough here it is...
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:55 PM   #13
scottjl
Reader of Books

it's all about the page views..
Old 06-17-2010, 03:01 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick101 View Post
Can you imagine what it would ave been like if there had been a blogosphere when documents shifted from rolls to bound books? All the debate about whether the hard covers would be comfortable to hold for long periods, whether the division into separate pages would interrupt the reading experience and lose the immersion. Is it worth the cost of replacing all the pigeonholes in which you keep the scrolls with these new-fangled 'shelves'?
Scrolls do have separate pages. Eg:

Their main disadvantage is that you have to rewind them after you've finished. One finds in Latin literature a number of insulting remarks about the rudeness of people who don't rewind their scrolls for the benefit of the next reader, after they've finished with them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:46 AM   #15
vonCZ
Connoisseur
vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
When I turn it on I see the reading app.... but also everything else..... so I may think, "oh, I'll check the news real quick", and 30 minutes later get around to my book.....
This is my concern. My family and I have been watching too much TV lately. So I've told them: "this summer when we visit the States, I am buying an eReader. When we return home: no more TV in the evenings!!" So the very last thing I wanna do is end up sitting on the couch watching movies and playing video games on an iPad. At least we don't have internet at our house, so surfing/emailing won't be a temptation. Anyway, until last week none of this concerned me: I was set on buying the DR800. But now that that's out... I'm afraid my second choice is the iPad.
vonCZ is offline   Reply With Quote