Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-05-2010, 09:09 PM   #1
taglines
Banned
taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Techno-worship is a triumphalist and intolerant cult?

Techno-worship is a triumphalist and intolerant cult?
Any journalist who cheerleads uncritically for Twitter is essentially asking for his own destruction, says NewYorker.com, noting: That's what George Packer writes in a follow-up to his earlier "Stop the World" post. GP also says:

* "The response to my post tells me that techno-worship is a triumphalist and intolerant cult that doesn't like to be asked questions."

* "The Internet and the devices it's spawned are systematically changing our intellectual activities with breathtaking speed, and more profoundly than over the past seven centuries combined. It shouldn't be an act of heresy to ask about the trade-offs that come with this revolution."

re

"techno-worship is a triumphalist and intolerant cult that doesn’t like to be asked questions:" http://is.gd/7KO9v Ya got us, George Packer!

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...biltonite.html

GP's first NYer story:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...the-world.html

Last edited by taglines; 02-05-2010 at 09:12 PM.
taglines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I want to get worked up about this... but I just can't!!!!
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2010, 11:05 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
I want to get worked up about this... but I just can't!!!!
Me too, I think I'll twitter my response.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:20 PM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Yet another Luddite.. Who cares..?
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:33 PM   #5
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
http://mobblog.cs.ucl.ac.uk/2009/03/...at-predicting/
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2010, 06:25 AM   #6
MrBlueSky
Connoisseur
MrBlueSky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrBlueSky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrBlueSky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrBlueSky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrBlueSky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrBlueSky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrBlueSky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrBlueSky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrBlueSky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrBlueSky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrBlueSky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 600
That guy is blogging about Twitter, oh the irony!

Pot, kettle, black?
MrBlueSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:24 AM   #7
Lynn2010
Lynn2010 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Actually, you would tweet about this on Twitter.
Lynn2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:53 AM   #8
taglines
Banned
taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
guyanon, thanks for this these links. Good followup yes.
taglines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:45 AM   #9
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Yep, I'm pining for the old days. When the only written information was hand scribed by fat monks and only royalty could read.

Less humorously, our signal to noise ratio is getting worse every year. I think Cory Doctorow and others nailed the long term solution. We're going to eventually need a persistent online-source reputation system so we can tune out the noise, if we so desire.

I can see one other possibility but 'reputation' could be implemented sooner -- personal "agents," a limited form of AI, who we allow to filter our content.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote