Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-24-2009, 03:59 PM   #1
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
My PocketBook 360 Diary

EDITED TO ADD: I've been compiling some little tips on using the PocketBook 360 (nothing too technical, I am after all just a bog standard user!) at my blog site which so far has the following posts:

Key mapping on the PocketBook 360
http://pocketbook-diary.blogspot.com...tbook-360.html

PocketBook 360 screen and FBReader
http://pocketbook-diary.blogspot.com...-fbreader.html

Reading on the PocketBook 360 (general impressions)

My PocketBook Christmas Present (general impressions)
http://pocketbook-diary.blogspot.com...s-present.html

I hope to build this up into a useful area for tips and will be adding more info very soon.

--- END OF EDIT ---

So my PocketBook arrived on Christmas Eve, an early Christmas pressie - thanks MobileRead and PocketBook

It was kind of love at first sight! Although I'm no techie - I've been into gadgets and computers since I was 11 (er many years ago) and I got a ZX Spectrum which was the coolest thing I'd ever had!

STYLE The Ivory 360 PocketBook has a gorgeous pearly sheen finish and is one of the nicest looking readers I've seen. Only minor let-down looks-wise are the 2 large beasty wing buttons which look a wee bit naff. Fab how the cover easily pulls off and clips onto the back while you read.

SIZE Size-wise, it's about double the size of my ipod touch (so double the size of an iphone) and approx the same width as my Sony Reader touch (prs-600) but a good inch or two shorter.

WEIGHT The main thing I noticed was the weight. The PocketBook is so nice and light to hold whereas the Sony Reader feels like a brick in comparison. If you sit and read for hours at a time, weight can be an issue.

READING The PocketBook is very easy to read whether you're left or right-handed as (it's 360 name implies) the screen will rotate on all four sides so the buttons can be on the right, left, top, bottom - however you find it most comfortable to read. Because it's a lightweight and small, it's super easy to hold it in one hand and flick the buttons with your thumb. I have to say that I don't find the sony ereader to be such a comfortable read partly because of the weight but also the button layout.

BUTTONS You can use the large wing buttons for next and back page buttons (they're not great) or use the middle dpad (?) button and press left for back and right for next page. The buttons do make an audible click - it doesn't bother me but I can imagine that it will annoy some people. But even reading paper books is not entirely silent so I don't see that as a deal-breaker. The buttons feel a little stiff to press but I should imagine they will lose this over time.

PERSONALIZE
Best thing about the buttons is that they're configurable! Menu | Settings | Key Mapping so you can customize your PocketBook to work most efficiently for you.

SCREEN The screen may be small but the contrast is fantastic - really clear to read. It throws my Sony Touch reader into the shade which I guess is a bit of an unfair comparison being that the Sony is hampered by the addition of the touch screen and therefore you lose some contrast. No reflection on the PocketBook so good to read from all angles but some reflection on the Sony.

TEXT Here's my favourite thing so far. You have a lot of reading options if you open your ebook (I've used epubs so far) in the supplied fbreader. Go to Menu | Books | Select Book then Press AND HOLD on the middle OK button. A mini menu will pop up with Open With - click to the right and select fbreader. When your book is open, click on the OK button again and select the settings icon from the menu. You can change your font, the size of the font, line spacing (get more or less lines per page) and margin size. This basically means you get to set up your screen text to what suits your eyes for reading. You can even install fonts onto the PocketBook.

So so far, so good. Will keep you posted on how I get on and Merry Christmas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sizeipodtouch.JPG
Views:	412
Size:	217.7 KB
ID:	41871   Click image for larger version

Name:	pocketted.JPG
Views:	440
Size:	351.2 KB
ID:	41872   Click image for larger version

Name:	readingpocket.JPG
Views:	487
Size:	383.4 KB
ID:	41873   Click image for larger version

Name:	pockettouch.JPG
Views:	472
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	41874  

Last edited by poshm; 12-28-2009 at 05:14 PM. Reason: addition of new blog info
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 04:31 PM   #2
DNT
DNT has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DNT has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DNT has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DNT has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Thanks for your review. The anticipation is killing me right now as the 360 meant to be my self-gift for Xmas and it's not looking like it's going to be here soon. Enjoy and Merry Christmas.
DNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNT View Post
Thanks for your review. The anticipation is killing me right now as the 360 meant to be my self-gift for Xmas and it's not looking like it's going to be here soon. Enjoy and Merry Christmas.
Well when you do get it, I hope you really enjoy it like I am. In the meantime, I forgot to add for people who're finding a lack of info (in English) there is a user guide at http://www.pocketbookreader.com/Downloads.html

I found the user guide helpful as all my instructions were in German which unfortunately I'm unable to translate.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
if you install SciFiFan fbreader version here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65843 or here (older version that still works) https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65865, you won't need to use the buttons to turn the pages.

Use the file from the german thread and the explanations from the english one (the newest file is apparently only in the german thread)

It really works !

Last edited by aceflor; 12-24-2009 at 05:02 PM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 03:39 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
One major problem I've found with FBReader for ePubs - it doesn't respect hard page breaks, so chapters just start in the middle of a page.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2009, 05:02 AM   #6
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
One major problem I've found with FBReader for ePubs - it doesn't respect hard page breaks, so chapters just start in the middle of a page.
Yes, absolutely true. It seems there is no perfect solution right now, but I must say I just adore my pocketbook !!
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 05:46 AM   #7
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You can try playing with /system/config/styles.xml
The first thing I would try is to set "spaceBefore" to some number, like 30 for Header 1.
It will not create a page break, but the space could make this more pleasant for you.

I personally do not mind chapters starting without a break. On the other hand I love the fact I can override font, margins and just about any formatting with FBReader.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:37 AM   #8
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
if you install SciFiFan fbreader version here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65843 or here (older version that still works) https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65865, you won't need to use the buttons to turn the pages.

Use the file from the german thread and the explanations from the english one (the newest file is apparently only in the german thread)

It really works !
Sorry people, I have moved the newest version to this place!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:13 AM   #9
lovestoreadalot
Connoisseur
lovestoreadalot began at the beginning.

Device: none

Last edited by lovestoreadalot; 09-15-2010 at 08:54 AM.
lovestoreadalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:34 AM   #10
poshm
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovestoreadalot View Post
Thanks for the review I am now 100% sure that this will be my first ereader.I'm so close to finally having enough money to buy it. (my kids piggy bank looks so tempting The only thing stopping me from borrowing is the embarrassment of borrowing from a 10yr and 4yr old)
I think it's an excellent choice and I wish that I'd picked it as my first ereader instead of the Sony prs-600 which I'll admit I struggled to get set-up with the Sony nightmare software.

It was very simple to get the PocketBook up and running and I use the excellent Calibre software with it although very easy just to copy books straight on to the device.

The more I use the PocketBook, the more I'm liking it and really nothing negative to say so far
Old 12-27-2009, 09:07 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by poshm View Post
I think it's an excellent choice and I wish that I'd picked it as my first ereader instead of the Sony prs-600 which I'll admit I struggled to get set-up with the Sony nightmare software.
It depends what your requirements are, of course. If there was one device that was clearly "the best" then life would be a lot easier for everybody. I currently have 6 dedicated eBook Readers - the Sony PRS-600 remains my favourite as the best overall, but that's because I use its on-screen annotation feature extensively to "mark up" errors the books I create, as I'm reading them.

For a device without annotation, the Pocketbook 360 is certainly an excellent choice.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:25 AM   #12
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Thanks a lot for the review!
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:13 PM   #13
poshm
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-PocketBooker View Post
Thanks a lot for the review!
Happy to do it - I like this little machine

Anyway, I've been compiling some little tips on using the PocketBook 360 (nothing too technical, I am after all just a bog standard user!) at my blog site which so far has the following posts:

Key mapping on the PocketBook 360

PocketBook 360 screen and FBReader
http://pocketbook-diary.blogspot.com...-fbreader.html

Reading on the PocketBook 360 (general impressions)

My PocketBook Christmas Present (general impressions)
http://pocketbook-diary.blogspot.com...s-present.html

I hope to build this up into a useful area for tips and will be adding more info very soon.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:16 PM   #14
Larrie
Enthusiast
Larrie began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600, PB 360, Ectaco JB, Kindle DX, PRS 950, M90
These are very useful tips for how to fully utilize the capabilities of a PB 360. While there a lots of places to find positive reviews on why one should choose a PB, compiling tips for owners of PB 360 is just great. Thanks! PS completely agree with you about the PRS 600, either in comparison with the PB 360 or the iriver story..
Larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:53 PM   #15
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
I see the 360 have hyphenation. Is that FbReader ? ADE ? Both ?

How well are the css dealt with ? ADE make a mess of it. What about FbReader ?

Last edited by EowynCarter; 12-29-2009 at 12:57 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote