Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-18-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
chobo2
chobo2 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Anyone read computer books on e-readers?

Hi

I am thinking of getting this ereader: http://www.aluratek.com/product_info...02&display=All

Now one of my main reasons for having a e-reader would be to put computer books on it. Seeing how big computer books are to log around, I don't like reading them on computers, they go obsolete pretty fast.

However most of them are pdf format what I hear is not too good for small screen like an e-reader. So anyone ever read computer books on e-readers? Is it good? Is there better formats then pdf(that pdf can convert to)

Thanks
chobo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:27 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by chobo2 View Post
Hi

I am thinking of getting this ereader: http://www.aluratek.com/product_info...02&display=All

Now one of my main reasons for having a e-reader would be to put computer books on it. Seeing how big computer books are to log around, I don't like reading them on computers, they go obsolete pretty fast.

However most of them are pdf format what I hear is not too good for small screen like an e-reader. So anyone ever read computer books on e-readers? Is it good? Is there better formats then pdf(that pdf can convert to)

Thanks
I've read (Actually I *am* reading.) a Photoshop Layers book on my Kindle 2. And it's 'okay' for doing so. Most of the images in the book are small enough that they look decent on a 6" e-ink screen. However, most computer books are formatted in PDF that is designed for A4 or Letter sized paper, which means that withoug constant zooming, panning and scrolling, they don't look so good.

For computer and other large-size texts, I think a Kindle DX or one of those iRex iLiads would be better. The screens are much larger.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 04:33 PM   #3
chobo2
chobo2 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
I've read (Actually I *am* reading.) a Photoshop Layers book on my Kindle 2. And it's 'okay' for doing so. Most of the images in the book are small enough that they look decent on a 6" e-ink screen. However, most computer books are formatted in PDF that is designed for A4 or Letter sized paper, which means that withoug constant zooming, panning and scrolling, they don't look so good.

For computer and other large-size texts, I think a Kindle DX or one of those iRex iLiads would be better. The screens are much larger.

Derek
Is that book made for the kindle? Since I am guessing books that are made to be on the kindle are checked to make sure it looks half decent at least.

Hmm that really sucks. How about converting pdfs(even though I hear that is hard to do). Is there some good format that will work with computer books.
chobo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:54 PM   #4
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
I've tried on my Kindle 2, it didn't work for me. Screen is too small.

I recommend the larger size screens, if you can swing it.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:52 PM   #5
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
I copied my user's manuals for both my camera and my laptop; I have them both on 8.5 x 11 pages, in sheet protectors and in 3-ring binders. There was no problem reformating the two manuals using Calibri to epub. However they were just too big to read on my Sony 700. So they got deleted real quick. Saw no reason to keep them on my reader.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2009, 05:26 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I tried to read MS Server 2003, pdf converted to lrf with pdflrf...gave up. Unpleasant.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:50 AM   #7
donald1
Enthusiast
donald1 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I read them on a Sony PRS-600 6inch screen reader. As mentioned before most books are pdf format. Main problem is that quite some books have a larger border and forces you to either zoom/pan or reflow. Typical I first try the reflow method but you loose some graphics in that case (not always a problem).
Best would be to have the books in another format or have a larger screen.
donald1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:03 AM   #8
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Would a netbook be a better answer for reading computing books?

I say that because hubby was interested in an ereader for his computing books (works in IT) but he has used my sony 600 with 6 inch screen and it really is too small for books of that nature. I think you would maybe need a 10 inch screen or bigger really so a netbook might be a consideration.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:13 AM   #9
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poshm View Post

I say that because hubby was interested in an ereader for his computing books (works in IT) but he has used my sony 600 with 6 inch screen and it really is too small for books of that nature. I think you would maybe need a 10 inch screen or bigger really so a netbook might be a consideration.
The problem is the screen. Some people, like me, cannot read from computer screen for a long time. Also battery life is an issue, although with netbooks it is not too bad.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:31 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I'd get either a netbook, a larger LCD based mobile device or a larger e-ink screen. I'd say the minimum size would be 9". The advantage of e-ink screens is battery life. The advantage of LCD based mobile devices or netbooks is the colour screens.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:39 AM   #11
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
If one has the source and can re-format for the screen size, this works quite well --- I've got a number of LaTeX references on my PRS-505 as .pdfs and they work fine.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:05 AM   #12
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
One thing you've really got to watch out for, especially with books on programming, is the formatting of code listings.

With printed books, the author will usually take care to ensure that the line breaks within program code occurs at sensible places. But that doesn't always get transferred to the e-book. I've seen cases where program code just flows like normal text, regardless of the semantics of the code or the occurrence of continuation markers. In other cases, the code simply gets truncated, especially on a small-screen device.

Also, some publishers don't realise that code has to be rendered in a fixed-pitch font. This is never a problem with paper books, but is sometimes an issue with e-books.

I'm not saying all programming books suffer from these problems -- just that they are issues you need to watch out for.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:44 AM   #13
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Is that book made for the kindle? Since I am guessing books that are made to be on the kindle are checked to make sure it looks half decent at least.
If you read more threads on MR you'll find many saying that you're wrong. Mostly in the idea that they're *checked* to make sure they look good. As I understand it (I don't have a Kindle) if the source is well-written (from a technical standpoint) then the conversion produces a decent-looking book. But AFAIK nobody actually checks the output to see how good it looks.

Quote:
Hmm that really sucks. How about converting pdfs(even though I hear that is hard to do). Is there some good format that will work with computer books.
As others have mentioned, the basic problem with technical books on ereaders is the size of the screen. Even in full 8.5"x11" technical books I often find graphics that are too full of detail for me to read them. Often I copy/enlarge them (usually onto 11"x17" because I've got a copier that can do that).

With a large enough screen PDF should be a decent format-but I can't find an ereader with a large enough screen, for me, so I read technical books either on my workstation (28" screen) or, if I need them to be mobile, on my laptop (17" screen).

BTW, I don't understand your comment "I don't like reading them on computers, they go obsolete pretty fast". The only difference I see between reading them on computers vs reading them on ereaders is mobility & display. I would certainly agree if you're talking about reading treebooks-anything that requires frequent updating is, IMO, best obtained electronically.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:48 AM   #14
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
I've been reading computer books on my iphone. Not the best experience ever, but it works.

I recommend getting epubs from http://oreilly.com if those are some you're interested in. There's also the practical programmer.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:18 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by poshm View Post

To me, yes. I tried reading a computer book on my Kindle, and got a headache.

My Asus 1000HE gives me a great reading experience.....instant page turning, pictures are clear, battery life is minimum 8 hrs.

The reading screen is considerably larger, and I can adjust font. I prefer the mobipocket reader to the kindle for pc. To me, its just a better reading experience.

I have a wireless mouse for mine, so a simple click of the middle button turns pages as fast or slow as I need.

Plus, I bought it from Amazon, so I knew I had 30 days to try it out and if it didn't suit, I could return it for just the shipping charges.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote