Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-21-2009, 03:45 PM   #1
TrolleyGirl
TrolleyGirl began at the beginning.

Device: prs505
new ebook owner & confused

I just purchased my first ebook. After studying these forums I decided upon the PRS505, which I got at Target for $178.

I signed up for a 1 year subscription at Fictionwise with the 100% micropay rebate. However, now that I am looking around the site most of the books I'm interested in are in the secure ereader format. If I understand right, I need to purchase in the multiformat lrf version. Am I thinking right, or can I purchase the secure ereader format and using the free ereader pro software on my PC somehow convert the book so the PRS505 will accept it?

Please help me as I am clueless! Thanks for your time.
TrolleyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:51 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrolleyGirl View Post
I just purchased my first ebook. After studying these forums I decided upon the PRS505, which I got at Target for $178.
Awesome price. Welcome to the forum

Quote:
I signed up for a 1 year subscription at Fictionwise with the 100% micropay rebate. However, now that I am looking around the site most of the books I'm interested in are in the secure ereader format. If I understand right, I need to purchase in the multiformat lrf version. Am I thinking right, or can I purchase the secure ereader format and using the free ereader pro software on my PC somehow convert the book so the PRS505 will accept it?
From Fictionwise books that will work on your 505 are Multiformat (download LRF or EPUB) or for secure books PDF (which they call Secure Adobe). Personally I would steer clear of the PDF's as they don't display as nicely as LRF or EPUB unless specially formatted to fit the Sony's screen, which these are not.

If you're mainly looking for books from authors published by big publishing houses (Penguin, Randon House, Harper Collins, etc) you won't find those in anything but secure formats.

For secure books your best bet are EPUB's from stores like Books On Board, Diesel Ebooks, Shortcovers, etc. or LRX (secure LRF's) from the Sony store. The Sony store is supposed to be switching to EPUB by the end of the year.

As far as buying secure eReader format books, you would have to remove the DRM (the secure part) and then they could be converted.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 10-21-2009 at 03:54 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Congrats on getting your 505! I've had mine since March and love it!! I mainly use Booksonboard and the Sony Store, as well as the library for my books. I really wasn't that impressed with fictionwise.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:04 AM   #4
TrolleyGirl
TrolleyGirl began at the beginning.

Device: prs505
Thank you both so much for your help. I maybe back with more questions later. I did download "Around the World in 80 Days" for free. It worked. This is a book I have wanted to read for a long time, but never have. My next download will be the final book in the "No. 1 Ladies Detective" series, by Alexander McCall Smith.

I think I understand now, in Books on Board or Diesel Books, for example I choose the Adobe format. While in Shortcovers or Sony's Ebook Store I choose EPub.

Thanks again.
TrolleyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:50 AM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I think I understand now, in Books on Board or Diesel Books, for example I choose the Adobe format. While in Shortcovers or Sony's Ebook Store I choose EPub.
Be careful. Books on Board and Diesel sell both ePub and PDF with Adobe DRM. Unless you're sure you're OK with how PDF displays you'll want to make sure you're buying ePub from them.

BoB calls PDF "Adobe Digital Editions" and ePub "Adobe ePub". Diesel calls PDF "Adobe" and ePub "ePub", but they use the same Adobe graphic for both.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 10:53 PM   #6
easterncoyote
Zealot
easterncoyote began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Be careful. Books on Board and Diesel sell both ePub and PDF with Adobe DRM. Unless you're sure you're OK with how PDF displays you'll want to make sure you're buying ePub from them.

BoB calls PDF "Adobe Digital Editions" and ePub "Adobe ePub". Diesel calls PDF "Adobe" and ePub "ePub", but they use the same Adobe graphic for both.
Brian, I am so confused about this, and I would appreciate it if you or someone could clear it up for me. Is epub an Adobe format? Or does Adobe have its own kind of epub, and are there other kinds of epub? Thank you for any help.
easterncoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:04 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
ePub isn't an Adobe format. It's a defined standard. See http://www.idpf.org/

But most publishers producing ePub format ebooks add Adobe DRM encryption to them. This combination of the ePub format with Adobe DRM is commonly referred to as "Adobe ePubs".

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterncoyote View Post
Brian, I am so confused about this, and I would appreciate it if you or someone could clear it up for me. Is epub an Adobe format? Or does Adobe have its own kind of epub, and are there other kinds of epub? Thank you for any help.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:08 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Unfortunately Fictionwise don't currently supply ePub as one of the formats for their "Secure eBooks". I'd suggest that, if you're OK with removing DRM, your best bet would be Secure Mobipocket format. The DRM is easily removed, and the format converts well to ePub using Calibre.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:05 AM   #9
easterncoyote
Zealot
easterncoyote began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
ePub isn't an Adobe format. It's a defined standard. See http://www.idpf.org/

But most publishers producing ePub format ebooks add Adobe DRM encryption to them. This combination of the ePub format with Adobe DRM is commonly referred to as "Adobe ePubs".
Thank you. I finally understand!
easterncoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:24 AM   #10
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Welcome. Great advice above.

I was unintentionally fooled by the BookonBoard abobe naming and inadvertently got a PDF instead of an epub. When I contacted them they were kind enough to credit the purchase price to my account.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:09 PM   #11
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
I've been a long time fictionwise user - so, when I picked up the Sony 505, I continued w/ FW - I did find a way to de-drm my books, and purchase in mobipocket secure format. It's an extra step, but I have an easy setup now to do it. So, don't be discouraged that you bought a fw membership. You can still take advantage of it w/ secure books by taking a couple of extra steps.

Oh, and look at your local library for books to check out online. I had to go one county over to get a library card. My only complaints are that there seems to only be two genre's - thriller (i.e. Cussler) and romance. I am not a big reader of either. And, the other complaint is the majority of books are PDF and the display of them is entirely painful to get through and truly take away from the enjoyment of reading.

Last edited by mgrunk; 10-24-2009 at 06:12 PM.
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote