Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-12-2009, 09:26 PM   #1
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Great booklight

Just thought I'd share. I just picked up the Mighty Bright LED booklight, and I think I'm in love.

Yummy things:
-Super flexible neck. It's not hard to move but stays in place
-Two light settings
-Good coverage without making my eyes bleed.
-Takes AAA batteries, and it says you can get an AC adapter. Saw some other options, but they had those round batteries, and I never have those.

http://www.mightybright.com/Book_Lig...uctDetail.html

I got mine at Borders for $14.99, but I can't find it on their online store. Thought I'd share though (I've been looking for a good one for years).
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:57 PM   #2
Cassy
Zealot
Cassy began at the beginning.

Device: Silver Sony PRS 505
Completely agree

i love mine, it also folds up nice and small so you can carry it around easily
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2009, 11:08 PM   #3
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
It's not *that* small. (3 AAA batteries, bulky clip, long neck....) I use a 4-LED z-light. That thing practically disappears when folded--about 1/4" thick, and it gives a nice readable light. Portability is important for me--if I'm home, I just use the nightstand light.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:35 AM   #4
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Question

Manufacturer? Where obtainable?

Gunner...
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:46 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3

I like that one because the necks are flexible and it has two lights that can be places where you want for no bright spots.

http://www.mightybright.com/Music_Li...uctDetail.html
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2009, 10:54 AM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
Manufacturer? Where obtainable?

Gunner...
It's all in my first post. Mighty Bright is the manufacturer, and you can buy it from them direct. I bought mine at Borders though (in the store)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

I like that one because the necks are flexible and it has two lights that can be places where you want for no bright spots.

http://www.mightybright.com/Music_Li...uctDetail.html
I've found with this one that it's pretty easy to move the light around to avoid bright spots, without leaving areas that are less bright. Two lights would be too bright for me, but that booklight will probably be fantastic for DX users.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:03 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It has seperate switches so you can use just one light and then position it how it's best for you. That's also what I like with it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:11 AM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It has seperate switches so you can use just one light and then position it how it's best for you. That's also what I like with it.
Oh that's cool (and I'm an idiot for not figuring that out).
Old 05-17-2009, 04:32 PM   #9
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
It's all in my first post.
I think gunnerp245 was asking about the z-light.

I have no idea which booklight on that page is the 4-LED one that DrMoze recommends. The first one? That's the only one that says "Z-Light."

Edit: ok, it looks like the first one, also here on B&N.

Last edited by jj2me; 05-17-2009 at 04:36 PM.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:44 PM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
I think gunnerp245 was asking about the z-light.

I have no idea which booklight on that page is the 4-LED one that DrMoze recommends. The first one? That's the only one that says "Z-Light."

Edit: ok, it looks like the first one, also here on B&N.
Oh, duh.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:14 PM   #11
itzmeigh
Enthusiast
itzmeigh began at the beginning.

I have this one HERE. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that it is rechargeable. Love it so much that I cringe at even looking at other booklights because I might find one that I like more that can't be recharged!

It holds the charge for almost a month at a time. (I read a couple of hours a night every night with it.) If I forget to recharge it one night then I can charge it about 30 minutes and it will be full bright again. (No way to tell if it is fully charged because ther eis no battery life indicator)

I don't like it clipped on my book (or eBook) but I can set it so that I can lay on my side and it will still light up my book. Or I can lay on my back and set it on my chest.

I've used it for about 2-3 years. Hubby gave it to me for Mother's Day but I can't remember WHICH Mother's Day... I've used it everywhere including the car with no problems!

It stays charged so long that I never even bring the charger on vacation with me. Like this time I was gone about 10 days and I didn't bother to bring the charger. (I haven't got as much reading done as I'd like however because I've been too pooped at night to read!)

Anyway, I can't say enough good things about it. It has really worked well for me.
itzmeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:47 AM   #12
chinesealbumart
Enthusiast
chinesealbumart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chinesealbumart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chinesealbumart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chinesealbumart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS505
This is the one i use

http://www.amazon.com/Reading-Light-.../dp/B000GOYMAE
chinesealbumart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 03:07 PM   #13
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
ThinkTank Technology Bookmark Light

Here are pics from a cheapo Woot.com booklight (pack of three for $1.99 + $5 shipping, IIR). You need teensy tools to change the batteries (3x AG13, which I got for $5 for 100 off eBay). The loss of luminence due to low batteries almost convinced me they were less good than I had originally thought, so don't fall into that trap like I did with these button battery-powered booklights.

Apologies for the poor focus--the infrared focus light didn't server me well in a dark room without flash--but you get the idea of brightness.

This is my first time posting pictures. I don't yet know any way other than the "Attachments" icon, so don't know how to intersperse descriptive text. "Insert Image" requires a URL, but I don't want to host these pics.

The pics will be:
1. Package of three, opened
2. Closed with light clipped on the left cover. Shutting the cover causes no damage, but does make it more probably you'll accidentally hit a page button when the screen is on (just click the menu button to get back to the normal screen).
3. Open flat in dark.
4. Open in reading position. Shows brightness, but out of focus.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ThinkTankPackage.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	29588   Click image for larger version

Name:	Closed.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	29589   Click image for larger version

Name:	InDark.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	29590   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lit.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	29591  
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:17 PM   #14
F1Wild
Addict
F1Wild doesn't litterF1Wild doesn't litter

Device: Paolo-my Kindle2, Blackberry Curve
I just returned the Sony cover/lightwedge that I had purchased along with my first reader-PRS-505 3 nights ago. The first jight I charged, 2nd I read with glee, and by last night I couldn't stand the "frosted" appearance of the lightwedge. I tried my stand-alone, clear lightwedge with the 505 and although much bulkier it was so much easier to read.

Anyway, returned the accessory today and am in the market for either a booklight or a new LightWedge (old one's a wee bit scratched) and have considered trying the "night vision" one they sell. I have found the MightyBright ExtraFlex2 info helpful and also the Brookstone rechargeable. Of those using these could you tell me if there is any trouble with glare on the reader?

Cheers!
F1Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:15 AM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Heres the link the the Mighty Brite light from Amazon......there is a great video review at the bottom. This light has gotten great reviews both here and at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Bright-...3311248&sr=1-1
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote