larger one 46 63.89%
smaller one 16 22.22%
no difference (same) 9 12.50%
don't know 1 1.39%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-27-2023, 12:12 PM   #1
readthinksurvive
Connoisseur
readthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmos

Device: kindle oasis; kobo elipsa/libra; pocketbook 741; SNA4X
Question if you have more than one ereader, which size do you use more?

im curious about a trend in people who have more than one ereader (given different sizes) and which do they prefer to use more.
readthinksurvive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 01:12 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The one with Buttons.
While all my readers have similar screen sizes 6-7" . I found no added benefit to higher DPI (all are e-ink)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2023, 01:13 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I tend to use my Sage most. Mostly that the 8" screen allows me to use the larger font sizes my old eyes are comfortable with and still have a decent amount of text on the screen. Beats the heck out of waiting for the large print books to be releases—if they are ever released.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 02:06 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I also use the Sage more, and the main reason is the larger screen.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 03:26 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The 8″ Sage. Much better than 7″ Libra or Libra 2.
The 10.3″ reMarkable and Elipsa and 9.7″ Kindle DXG are too big and heavy and of those, only the Kobo Elipsa is sensible/works properly. I preferfed the original 6.8″ Kobo Aura HD H2O to the Paperwhite 1, 2 or 3 or the DXG. Then got Libra, then Elipsa, then Sage.

The 7.8″ Mars is more awkward to hold, no page turn buttons and is poorer to use than Kobo no matter what eReader app is used, not because it's slower.

Last edited by Quoth; 12-27-2023 at 03:28 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2023, 05:01 PM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
While I do have multiple sized readers, I don't go back and forth between readers. I'm currently reading on a 6" (Clara 2E) and previously had a 8" (Forma). I'll try different sizes, but I tend to prefer a 6".
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 05:59 PM   #7
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
I have a Sage and a Libra H2O, and the Sage is my primary reader, 80% of all my reading. The smaller Libra is used when the Sage is charging, or when I go out and its smaller size means better pocketability.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 10:58 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
About 60% Scribe, 10% PocketBook InkPad Color 3 (7.8"), & the rest on my iPhone. Not reading anything on 6-7" eInk devices.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 11:38 PM   #9
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
I use e-readers of various sizes interchangeably. I have no particular preference. The larger ones offer me some advantage in some specific format (PDF, CBZ/CBR) and some additional option like two-column reading, but for reading normal e-books I honestly don't care about the size. I have many more 6" e-readers simply because they are cheaper.
cellaris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 01:19 AM   #10
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
To my surprise I've found myself mostly reading on my Palma, which has the dimensions of a smartphone. The text reads like a newspaper column, and my eyes don't have to travel too far horizontally. I read faster and it's more relaxing for my eyes.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 01:27 AM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I haven't bought or used 6" readers for many years and don't plan to do so in the future. For me either 7" or 8" is suitable, although I prefer 8" - more text on the screen (I don't use particularly large font sizes). That said, I don't want anything larger than 8" either, too big, heavy and uncomfortable. I only read regular novels, not comics or PDF.
Old 12-28-2023, 01:30 AM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
To my surprise I've found myself mostly reading on my Palma, which has the dimensions of a smartphone. The text reads like a newspaper column, and my eyes don't have to travel too far horizontally. I read faster and it's more relaxing for my eyes.
That's exactly why I don't like reading on a phone - I hate reading narrow columns. I haven't read any news on paper for more than a decade. Digital newspapers don't use column layout.
Old 12-28-2023, 08:03 AM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I haven't bought or used 6" readers for many years and don't plan to do so in the future. For me either 7" or 8" is suitable, although I prefer 8" - more text on the screen (I don't use particularly large font sizes). That said, I don't want anything larger than 8" either, too big, heavy and uncomfortable. I only read regular novels, not comics or PDF.
I can't say as I see the appeal of "more text". As long as the font size is reasonable, and the column isn't too narrow, a "smaller" ereader is preferable. And I also only read novels/fiction.
Old 12-28-2023, 08:07 AM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I can't say as I see the appeal of "more text". As long as the font size is reasonable, and the column isn't too narrow, a "smaller" ereader is preferable. And I also only read novels/fiction.
I just don't want to constantly turn pages, it disrupts my reading flow (no matter how I do it, buttons or screen tap). The fewer pages to turn, the better for me (to an extent, of course; I don't want a 10'' ereader, as it would be too heavy and bothersome to hold).

And the layout looks nicer on a larger screen (I read fully justified text without hyphenation).
Old 12-28-2023, 08:14 AM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I just don't want to constantly turn pages, it disrupts my reading flow (no matter how I do it, buttons or screen tap). The fewer pages to turn, the better for me (to an extent, of course; I don't want a 10'' ereader, as it would be too heavy and bothersome to hold).

And the layout looks nicer on a larger screen (I read fully justified text without hyphenation).
I don't find page turns disruptive. And fully justified text on a 6" screen looks fine to me (I have good corrected vision). If my vision got worse, I could see myself going to a larger ereader, even something larger the 8"; weight isn't a problem, most of the time my reader is on a stand.

I do not like to read on a phone for a long period of time: the column is too narrow and I do use left justified text on a phone

Tags
ereader, large displays, smaller display size