Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Which one would YOU use?
Pocketbook InkPad 1 100.00%
Nook glowlight plus 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-26-2023, 12:26 PM   #1
readthinksurvive
Connoisseur
readthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmos

Device: kindle oasis; kobo elipsa/libra; pocketbook 741; SNA4X
Question Pocketbook Inkpad 7.8 vs Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8

I am looking to purchase a 3rd ereader for daily travel purposes.
I like this size 7.8 , it's in between my other 2 ereaders.
What are the pros and cons of pocketbook vs nook gl+?
Could anyone who has these devices input their opinion amd possibly include images of comparisons (software, size, etc...) so I can get a bigger perspective
readthinksurvive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 02:48 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I would buy neither. The Inkpad 4 is said to have rather poor text contrast and the Nook software sucks (IMO). YMMV.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2023, 05:18 PM   #3
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
Yes, for a device with a new version of the E-INK Carta 1200 screen, the contrast is really weak against the competition. However, it seems that this applies to almost all Pocketbook devices equipped with this type of screen.

I was very disappointed myself when I first started the Inkpad 4, there wasn't that "AU" effect like when I first started the Tolino or the Kobo LIbra.

"BUT" again, I think you shouldn't exaggerate people.

You have to take into account that paper books don't have such black writing either, so if the screen has to imitate the writing of the book, the Inkpad 4 is completely fine.
in addition, I have to admit that Inkpad 4 has a very good uniformity of backlighting from eReaders of the same size.

Also, I would like to add that regarding "CONTRAST", on readers that have a very strong contrast (black), at least in the meme case, my eyes get tired more quickly. In the case of the Inkpad 4, reading is very pleasant on the eyes, both during the day and at night. some comments about the contrast are completely meaningless and have no real weight. The font should be such that it does not hurt your eyes and is pleasant to read, which Inkpad 4 completely fulfills.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 06:07 PM   #4
readthinksurvive
Connoisseur
readthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I would buy neither. The Inkpad 4 is said to have rather poor text contrast and the Nook software sucks (IMO). YMMV.
which 7.8" device with page turn buttons would you recommend?
Old 12-27-2023, 06:49 PM   #5
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The Kobo Sage is 8" with buttons, and Sirtel has one, so that's probably your answer.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2023, 07:44 PM   #6
readthinksurvive
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
The Kobo Sage is 8" with buttons, and Sirtel has one, so that's probably your answer.
i wanted to try a new ecosystem ;p
Old 12-27-2023, 08:33 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
Also, I would like to add that regarding "CONTRAST", on readers that have a very strong contrast (black), at least in the meme case, my eyes get tired more quickly. In the case of the Inkpad 4, reading is very pleasant on the eyes, both during the day and at night. some comments about the contrast are completely meaningless and have no real weight. The font should be such that it does not hurt your eyes and is pleasant to read, which Inkpad 4 completely fulfills.
In my case it's the other way around - the weaker the contrast, the faster my eyes tire. That's why I no longer read paper books. I need good contrast.
Old 12-27-2023, 08:40 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by readthinksurvive View Post
i wanted to try a new ecosystem ;p
In that case, better the Inkpad than the Nook. The Nook software is quite limited, but some people actually prefer fewer options, so YMMV, as always. If you use Calibre on Windows, the newest Nook cannot connect to Calibre on Windows and apparently there's no fix, so that's something to consider as well.
Old 12-28-2023, 06:29 AM   #9
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
In my case it's the other way around - the weaker the contrast, the faster my eyes tire. That's why I no longer read paper books. I need good contrast.
The contrast of the Inkpad 4 model is still better than that of previous models of Pocketbook readers.

I have also been looking for a reader with the highest contrast for years, but in the end, when I bought Tolin, I had to reduce the contrast a bit (in Koreader), because such a strong contrast may not be so pleasant in the evening hours.

Here is a photo of the screen of my Inkpad 4, if that's not enough for you, then buy an OLED file, because no other reader will give you significantly stronger contrast:

Here you can see the Inkpad 4 compared to the Inkpad 3 (the inkpad is on the upper side with stronger contrast):

Unfortunately, I only took the photos quickly with my phone, in reality the contrast is much more pronounced, if you want I will add some photos to you in the afternoon.

Koreader (default Contrast) :

I would like to remind you that the contrast of Inkpad 4 is still better than the previous E-INK Carta. I myself was obsessed with a very strong contrast, but over time I realize that contrast is not everything..

I think that the main advantage of the Inkpad 4 is the almost perfect uniformity of the backlight, which is quite a rarity for this size display.

If you don't need protection through the screen (as in the case of the Inkpad 4), I would recommend either Kobo or Tolino (essentially identical screens from the same manufacturer) if you are only interested in contrast.

"Good luck"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20231226_023547.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	813.6 KB
ID:	205445   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture d’écran du 2023-12-28 12-31-42.png
Views:	357
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	205446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture d’écran du 2023-12-28 13-12-25.png
Views:	366
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	205447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture d’écran du 2023-12-28 13-14-02.png
Views:	359
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	205448  

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 12-28-2023 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-28-2023, 07:13 AM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
So I was looking for a reader with the highest contrast, but in the end, when I bought the Tolino, I had to reduce the contrast a little (in the Koreader program), because such a strong contrast may not be so pleasant in the evening hours.
That's certainly something I've never wanted to do. The more contrast, the better for me.

Quote:
Here is a photo of the screen of my Inkpad 4, if that's not enough for you, then buy an OLED file, because no other reader will give you significantly stronger contrast
Quote:
I would like to remind you that the contrast of the Inkpad 4 is still better than most recent readers.
You yourself said the Inkpad 4 has relatively poor contrast. I haven't seen it and I went by what you posted about it in the Pocketbook forum. Now you say that no other reader has any better contrast and the Inkpad 4 actually is better than most others? Which is it then? Is it poorer than other Carta 1200 screens or better?

Not that it matters much to me, I'm not in the market for a new reader, nor am I particularly interested in Pocketbooks. I'm quite satisfied with my Kobos. But there's a couple of contradictions in your posts about the Inkpad 4.
Old 12-28-2023, 07:16 AM   #11
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English

Quote:
That's certainly something I've never wanted to do. The more contrast, the better for me.

You yourself said the Inkpad 4 has relatively poor contrast. I haven't seen it and I went by what you posted about it in the Pocketbook forum. Now you say that no other reader has any better contrast and the Inkpad 4 actually is better than most others? Which is it then? Is it poorer than other Carta 1200 screens or better?

Not that it matters much to me, I'm not in the market for a new reader, nor am I particularly interested in Pocketbooks. I'm quite satisfied with my Kobos. But there's a couple of contradictions in your posts about the Inkpad 4.
To put it straight: Inkpad 4 has a significantly better contour and contrast as a reader with the E-INK Carta, but it does not achieve as strong a contrast as a reader with the same EiINK Carta 1200 screen.

In short, the contrast against the previous models is of course good, but against the Kobo or Tolino (for models with E-INK Carta 1200 type screen), the contrast is not so pronounced, which quite surprises me, that's all.

"" But I think it's intentional on Pocketbook's part, since strong contrast can be too aggressive for some readers and PB doesn't offer the possibility of font contrast in the settings, so they chose a compromise. ""

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 12-28-2023 at 07:20 AM.
Old 12-28-2023, 07:19 AM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
To put it straight: Inkpad 4 has a significantly better contour and contrast as a reader with the E-INK Carta, but it does not achieve as strong a contrast as a reader with the same EiINK Carta 1200 screen.
I see. Thanks.
Old 12-28-2023, 01:53 PM   #13
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:

In short, the contrast against the previous models is of course good, but against the Kobo or Tolino (for models with E-INK Carta 1200 type screen), the contrast is not so pronounced, which quite surprises me, that's all.

"" But I think it's intentional on Pocketbook's part, since strong contrast can be too aggressive for some readers and PB doesn't offer the possibility of font contrast in the settings, so they chose a compromise. ""
I find it extremely unlikely that they intentionally lowered the contrast so as to not offend the eyes of some extremely sensitive readers. It's much more likely that they've just failed to develop a screen that's matte enough not to act as a mirror, but that still will let through the right amount of light. They have historically used sunken screens, so it's probable that they haven't found the right kind of glass layer to use yet.

No e-ink screen comes even close to having too much contrast. All of them are significantly worse than printed paper books on that front. I welcome Carta 1300 and all better glass layers.

Onyx Boox used to have this problem with their screens. I hardly ever read on my Nova 3 since the contrast is too low. Their newer screens use micro-etched glass. Reading on my Palma is a joy. I hope Pocketbook also starts using screens like that.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 02:44 PM   #14
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
No e-ink screen comes even close to having too much contrast.

Quote:
Onyx Boox used to have this problem with their screens. I hardly ever read on my Nova 3 since the contrast is too low. Their newer screens use micro-etched glass. Reading on my Palma is a joy. I hope Pocketbook also starts using screens like that.
Are they using micro-etched glass on their 13" model? I bought one a year or two ago and it had the worst contrast and sharpness of any e-ink device I have ever seen.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 03:20 PM   #15
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
All of them are significantly worse than printed paper books on that front.
I certainly wouldn't say that. In addition, it is very easy to measure. Even the E-INK Pearl screens achieved a higher contrast than the printed version.

.. I would advise some users to try the OLED screen, as some users are obsessed with contrast and completely forget about other important aspects that the eReader offers.

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 12-28-2023 at 03:27 PM.

Tags
nook, nook glowlight plus, pocketbook, pocketbook inkpad