Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 12-04-2023, 06:35 AM   #1
u53r69
u53r69 began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
Changing default PDF reader in Calibre web (content server)

Hi everyone,
I use Calibre to manage a little scientific library. Most of my documents are PDF papers wrote in two or three columns, full of graphs and photos, and this doesn't fit very well with the default reader that Calibre uses on the web interface - to be clear on what I mean, I'll leave here a screenshot on Imgur: https://i.imgur.com/sKkJdSj.png.

I want to change this with the default browser pdf reader - so, I don't want the ebook to be converted or something: just the PDF staright away opened in the browser.

I alredy tried messing with the "Behavior" settings, but I found out that it only regulates the offline Calibre behavior, not the web one.

Is it possible to do something like that?
u53r69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 06:47 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The content server does not open PDF files in its own viewer at all. Go to the details page of the book in the server and click the PDF link and it will open in the browser PDF reader. You are probably clicking the Read button which will read the book using the default output format, which is usually EPUB or AZW3
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2023, 06:57 AM   #3
u53r69

Hi, thanks for answering.

I'd like to precisely modify the behavior of the "Read" button, to make it open the PDF.
Old 12-04-2023, 06:58 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

delete any non-pdf files in your book record and it should work fine.
Old 12-04-2023, 07:03 AM   #5
u53r69

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
delete any non-pdf files in your book record and it should work fine.
Thanks, but I have only PDF files.
https://i.imgur.com/E5NNzWb.png
Advert
Old 12-04-2023, 09:05 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

EDIT: Actually, I tried it with the read button as well and it opened in the browser PDF renderer as expected.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 12-04-2023 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-04-2023, 09:39 AM   #7
u53r69

I'm still facing the same problem.

If it could help, here's a video showing it. As you can see, I only have PDF format for that book, and it's rendered correctly by my offline-reader. But, when I click on "Read", it just messes things up.

https://imgur.com/TgxK3Zk

I've also tried to set-up output format as PDF, but without any result.
Old 12-04-2023, 09:56 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

make sure you are running up to date calibre.
Old 12-04-2023, 04:18 PM   #9
u53r69

Hi, you we're right: I was running an old version of Calibre.

I was using Linux Mint 20, so I got to upgrade it to 21 before upgrading Calibre, due to some dependencies issues, but now it all works fine.

Thanks for your patience .