Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-20-2023, 12:16 PM   #1
tatagi
Connoisseur
tatagi began at the beginning.

Device: none
anybody has toxaris' epub optimizer file?

recently I came across this tool that might be very useful for me.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=252011

it handles font subsetting and image compression, without having to manually unpack/repack the epub archive. calibre can handle this as well, but this time I want smaller toolbox dedicated for the above task.

but his website is now apparently gone and he is not active in the forum for the last two years.

so I want to know if anyone who has the copy of it is willing to share. I will really appreciate it.
tatagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 05:17 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatagi View Post

it handles font subsetting and image compression, without having to manually unpack/repack the epub archive. calibre can handle this as well, but this time I want smaller toolbox dedicated for the above task.

but his website is now apparently gone and he is not active in the forum for the last two years.

so I want to know if anyone who has the copy of it is willing to share. I will really appreciate it.
You don't need ePub Optimizer as Calibre will do this. You can do it from the editor or from the main GUI.

From the main GUI, select the eBooks you want. Right click and select Polish book. Select Subset all embedded fonts and Losslessly compress images.

It's that easy.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2023, 05:41 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
For once, Jon, it would be nice if you at least entertained the notion that others might be more of an authority on "what they need" than you are. The request for copies of Tox's tools is not an unreasonable one. Please let those who might be able to assist them with obtaining them do so if you cannot.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-24-2023 at 10:01 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 06:47 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The OP knows Calibre can do it. Hopefully someone has a copy, archive.org for domain hasn't or is broken, but I found this which "works" in the sense of a download that downloads.
https://web.archive.org/web/20210113...1.12-setup.msi

Gives a 1.5 Mbyte download windows msi, which I can't install as I run Linux.
It may be a plugin for MSWord?

Via this post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=11

Last edited by Quoth; 03-23-2023 at 06:50 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 06:52 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually a version is in this post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=12
Advert
Old 03-23-2023, 10:59 PM   #6
tatagi
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The OP knows Calibre can do it. Hopefully someone has a copy, archive.org for domain hasn't or is broken, but I found this which "works" in the sense of a download that downloads.
https://web.archive.org/web/20210113...1.12-setup.msi

Gives a 1.5 Mbyte download windows msi, which I can't install as I run Linux.
It may be a plugin for MSWord?

Via this post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=11

oh, how I didn't try my luck finding stuff in archive.org thanks!
but unfortunately the optimizer didn't work the way I expected it to work. it doesn't do anything subsetting non-latin fonts but even worse the optimized epub doesn't show any characters, leaving blank pages :/

I wish I have an expertise to extract just font subset and image lossy compression feature from calibre and make it single executables lol being feature-rich usually means it is resource hungry..
Old 03-24-2023, 07:32 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
oh, how I didn't try my luck finding stuff in archive.org thanks!
but unfortunately the optimizer didn't work the way I expected it to work. it doesn't do anything subsetting non-latin fonts but even worse the optimized epub doesn't show any characters, leaving blank pages :/

I wish I have an expertise to extract just font subset and image lossy compression feature from calibre and make it single executables lol being feature-rich usually means it is resource hungry..
Calibre 6.14.1 with my library loaded is taking 271.4MB of memory. That's not all that much. With a smaller library, it should take less memory.
Old 03-24-2023, 09:56 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

About 27 MByte on Linux and near zero CPU just with Calibre open and about 5,600 ebooks and PDFs in total. Many have multiple formats.

But the OP knows about Calibre.
Old 03-24-2023, 09:57 AM   #9
tatagi
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Calibre 6.14.1 with my library loaded is taking 271.4MB of memory. That's not all that much. With a smaller library, it should take less memory.
it's probably not a big deal with newer PCs with 16+ GB rams but some laptops have their rams embedded so it's impossible to get an extra.

I've been seeing you rave about calibre many times , may I ask what benefits using the library gives you? I don't see any problem sticking to windows explorer to locate the files if they're well organized enough.
Old 03-24-2023, 10:07 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The filesystem method of finding is very limited. Mostly by folder/filename (.format). To be able to use alternate, usually results in a duplicat file beeng needed.

OTOH A Library manager can use Tags (+ or -), Author (or a fragment), Title (or a fragment), or Comments-Details (if present)

BTW this is not just a Calibre bene. Photos, Music, Movies all have custom Library apps for similar reasons.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 10:37 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
it's probably not a big deal with newer PCs with 16+ GB rams but some laptops have their rams embedded so it's impossible to get an extra.

I've been seeing you rave about calibre many times , may I ask what benefits using the library gives you? I don't see any problem sticking to windows explorer to locate the files if they're well organized enough.
It's a lot more then organization. There is the editor, the plugins (one of which removes DRM), managing eBooks on my Kobo, page count, the description, format conversion, font subsetting, lossless image compression, seeing covers, and much much more.

As for organization, I can sort in a number of different ways. I can have different libraries.

There's just so much you cannot do with a file tree. A file tree loses so much. it's just a lot to say.

What you asked about in the first post is so easily done with Calibre. I used to use ePub Optimizer, but Calibre is so much easier.
Old 03-24-2023, 11:47 AM   #12
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I agree with all the above about Calibre’s library manager. I will add that I also use Calibre as a library server so that I can access/manage my library, via the internet, from anywhere around the world. There is definitely some nice functionality in Calibre’s Editor, but I tend to use Sigil most often.

I also have several thousand ebooks managed by Calibre and it really does NOT use very much resources.

Cheers!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 12:06 PM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:

2G RAM will run Linux + Calibre. I do have a PC and a laptop with 16G RAM each, so that multiple VM can be run, but Calibre seems fine on Linux, Windows 7 and Windows 10 with 4G, though Windows 10 is better with 8G.
My VMs:
XP 2G RAM
Win7 4G RAM
Win10 3G RAM

That was on a laptop with 8G RAM and Linux.
Now that I have 16G RAM I've changed Win10 to have 8G Byte RAM.

Obviously only Linux and Win10 run the up-to-date Calibre.

Last edited by Quoth; 03-24-2023 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-24-2023, 12:17 PM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Calibre with no ebooks is 120MByte RAM and zero everything else on Win 10 pro on Oracle VirtualBox on Linux.

MS Anti-malware 116 Mbyte.
Old 03-25-2023, 02:21 PM   #15
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:

That's Toxaris's old "EPUB Optimizer" program.

Like JSWolf said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What you asked about in the first post is so easily done with Calibre. I used to use ePub Optimizer, but Calibre is so much easier.
I agree. When Calibre's font subsetting + image compression tools came out ~2016:

they pretty much superseded Toxaris's. Toxaris's was very good for all those early years, but when Kovid built similar functions into Calibre, it made it a few simple clicks.

(And if you already use Calibre for other book work... then it did a perfectly fine job without the need for external tools.)

I forget the exact specifics between them—for a while, Toxaris's still handled some edge-cases a little better, but in the ensuing 7 years, Kovid has pretty much squashed all those subsetting issues.

Quote:
Quoth actually shared my backup of Toxaris's "EPUB Tools":

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
which is a (fantastic) Microsoft Word addon to go from DOCX->EPUB.

I never was a user of "EPUB Optimizer", so I sadly don't have those old files.

But like we said above with subsetting+compressing. Now, in 2023, it's probably best to just use Calibre.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 03-25-2023 at 11:19 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote