Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 12-29-2008, 01:10 AM   #1
tandknix
tandknix began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Red face New eBookwise User

This is rather a long story, but I would appreciate any help I can get!

I was recently given a used eBookwise from a friend. I thought I went through the necessary steps to transfer into my name and such. I created an account through eBookwise and registered it under my name. I have been uploading books to my eBookwise content server (online) and then clicking 'Online Bookshelf' on my reader. I haven't been purchasing books through my reader at all.

Well a few weeks ago I get a message that says: "Your monthly billing account is delinquent. You will not be able to use the bookstore until you correct this problem. Please go to the Bookstore using your eBook device. You will be prompted to enter a new service billing credit card."

I went to my reader to change the information and noticed that my friends info was still there which I thought I had changed. So I changed it only to get this message when I clicked continue when I was finished: "System error-please try again."

I tried repeatedly. I have emailed the Fictionwise people 2 times and gotten no response. I called them and got someone who didn't listen to what I was saying and recommended that I email someone named 'John' and request information on signing up for the Fictionwise Book of the Month club? I have no idea what he was talking about, but at that point I just thanked him and hung up.

Up until this point I have been converting my books using the ABC Amber PDF Converter to .lit format for the online content server at eBookwise for my reader. I have no idea what the IMP thing is I keep reading about here.

I have also noticed that while the actually reader has my name, phone, and used ID attached, it is still listed under my friend online. When I tried to change this it tells me that that name and user ID are already being used. DUH! I am confused and don't know what to do. I just want to be able to read my ebooks!

Can anyone help me?
tandknix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:33 AM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Is it possible your friend bought her reader from Filament Books , rather than eBookwise? The deal with Filament Books was that you subscribed for a certain length of time and you got the reader "free". (It was - of course - built into the price of the books).

I found this on the Filament Books website:

In association with: Coast to Coast AM, UFO Magazine®, Shadow Lawn Press, eBook Technologies, Inc., Sand Castle Systems, Fictionwise eBooks
PO Box 11013, Marina del Rey, CA 90295 • 310 306-5667
to subscribe, call: 1-877-363-2665 or write: webmaster@filamentbookclub.com
© 2004-2006 Filament Books®, Inc. All rights reserved

You might try them...
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2008, 01:46 AM   #3
tandknix

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Is it possible your friend bought her reader from Filament Books , rather than eBookwise? The deal with Filament Books was that you subscribed for a certain length of time and you got the reader "free". (It was - of course - built into the price of the books).

I found this on the Filament Books website:

In association with: Coast to Coast AM, UFO Magazine®, Shadow Lawn Press, eBook Technologies, Inc., Sand Castle Systems, Fictionwise eBooks
PO Box 11013, Marina del Rey, CA 90295 • 310 306-5667
to subscribe, call: 1-877-363-2665 or write: webmaster@filamentbookclub.com
© 2004-2006 Filament Books®, Inc. All rights reserved

You might try them...
No, she originally purchased it from eBookwise. When she began having battery charging issues she contacted the company and was sent this replacement. She signed up for the BOTM club after she got the reader. I am thinking that when I enter my cc information it is trying to charge my card the $19.95 she owes for the month...if I had 19.95 I wouldn't care and would just pay it (she is one of my best friends after all) but I just don't have the $19.95.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:38 PM   #4
tandknix

Any help?
Old 12-31-2008, 11:30 PM   #5
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Hi tandknix, did you make sure that your account information was changed both on your device and on the eBookwise website? Did you connect your device to the eBookwise bookstore via your computer, and then tapped on the eBook icon on your device and then on the Bookstore icon? Did you change the device user ID also?
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2009, 12:22 AM   #6
tandknix

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
Hi tandknix, did you make sure that your account information was changed both on your device and on the eBookwise website? Did you connect your device to the eBookwise bookstore via your computer, and then tapped on the eBook icon on your device and then on the Bookstore icon? Did you change the device user ID also?
Yes, when I first got it from her. All I can figure is there was some sort of computer glitch on their end because now it shows up under her device user id on the ebookwise website. When I try to update it to match my last name and device user id it now tells me that that id is already being used. Which is true cause it's mine! So all I can figure to do is perform a system reset. I know it involves holding down the page down button and something else because I did it when I first got the book, but I can't remember the exact steps anymore. I can't get a response through email either. I keep getting bounced back and forth between ebookwise and filament. One refers me to the other...
Old 01-01-2009, 12:46 AM   #7
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I got these "reset" instructions when I was having problems with my alignment...it sounds like the beginning is what you're talking about. Maybe they'll help you get back to resetting what you want to reset.

Quote:
-- Power off your device
-- Hold down the previous page button (the bottom button with the book facing you with the two page turn buttons on the left)
-- Power on the eBook -- keep holding the previous page button down until the unit completes its power up
-- It should have booted into the Bookshelf, rather than the
last book you were reading
-- Tap the upper left icon on the screen (the "eBook guy" icon)
-- Tap on the "info" softmenu item
-- Tap on "More"
-- Tap on "align"

Follow the alignment instructions.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:56 AM   #8
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandknix View Post
Yes, when I first got it from her. All I can figure is there was some sort of computer glitch on their end because now it shows up under her device user id on the ebookwise website. When I try to update it to match my last name and device user id it now tells me that that id is already being used. Which is true cause it's mine! So all I can figure to do is perform a system reset. I know it involves holding down the page down button and something else because I did it when I first got the book, but I can't remember the exact steps anymore. I can't get a response through email either. I keep getting bounced back and forth between ebookwise and filament. One refers me to the other...
tandknix, are you using your friend's eBookwise login account (which is different from the device user ID)? Or did you open your own eBookwise account?
Old 01-01-2009, 12:57 AM   #9
Seabound
Steerage Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
tandknix, are you using your friend's eBookwise login account (which is different from the device user ID)? Or did you open your own eBookwise account?
Okay, sorry, I just re-read your original post and saw you opened your own account. Let me think...
Old 01-01-2009, 01:25 AM   #10
tandknix

I appreciate you guys and gals trying to help me out! I am going to try the system reset and creating a new account. i will let you know if it works...in the mean time...keep thinking!!!
Old 01-01-2009, 02:40 AM   #11
Seabound
Steerage Class

tandknix, I am no eBookwise expert, but here goes... (Experts might be able to chime in later.)

Okay, I experimented with my eBookwise. I think the device will be tied to your friend's old account or online bookshelf no matter how many times you change the ID on your device. (After initial registration and association with an online bookshelf, the device ID seems to be just a "dummy" variable.) I think the only way to disassociate the device from your friend's account/online bookshelf is to ask eBookwise to do that. (I don't know exactly how they will do this; perhaps they need to delete your friend's online bookshelf/account, but I'm just guessing.) Then it will free up the device for you to associate to and use on your own own eBookwise account.

Another option which is more straightforward, but maybe not so clean for you and your friend, is to take over your friend's eBookwise account. Once you have her account name and password, you can change the account profile to your own profile. This would be something you can do if eBookwise's response is not acceptable. But of course, your friend might not like the idea--you'll have access to the books she bought in the past.

Then another option is to save up for a new eBookwise (about $116 right now with 64MB internal memory) so you won't have to deal with this trouble. Or perhaps save up for an eInk device. There might still be deals for a Sony PRS-505 for about $200.

Also, the IMP format that you asked about in your original post is the format that eBookwise reads. It cannot read LIT format. There are software tools available in MR which can convert to IMP. And the eBookwise Librarian can convert text and html to IMP format also.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:18 AM   #12
tandknix

Thanks! I did the factory reset steps FizzyWater listed and just created a whole new account using DH's name Now I am just trying to figure out how to use the ebookwise librarian that I have. It keeps giving me errors on some books so I am unsure of what is going on. They are books that I receive free because I do book reviews for several different sites.

If anyone has any ideas on THIS problem...lol...
Old 01-01-2009, 03:21 AM   #13
Seabound
Steerage Class

Quote:
Thanks! I did the factory reset steps FizzyWater listed and just created a whole new account using DH's name Now I am just trying to figure out how to use the ebookwise librarian that I have. It keeps giving me errors on some books so I am unsure of what is going on. They are books that I receive free because I do book reviews for several different sites.

If anyone has any ideas on THIS problem...lol...
I hope it lets you buy books now.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:28 AM   #14
tandknix

Yes, I can buy books now AND I can use the online bookshelf to download books for my reader, but I am trying to figure out how to use the ebookwise librarian that I downloaded and paid for. It will let me download some books but not others. Most of them are in PDF format and I am converting them to HTML.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:33 AM   #15
Seabound
Steerage Class

Quote:
Yes, I can buy books now AND I can use the online bookshelf to download books for my reader, but I am trying to figure out how to use the ebookwise librarian that I downloaded and paid for. It will let me download some books but not others. Most of them are in PDF format and I am converting them to HTML.
You can only download IMP format to your eBookwise.