Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-06-2022, 04:28 PM   #1
Jaystar
Jaystar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire 7 HD
ePub to MOBI, not formatting pages appropriately

Long story short, I have a whole bunch of comics as ePubs that I'm trying to load onto my Kindle (via converting them to MOBI with Calibre) but no matter how many options I tinker with, the end result always ends up janky and undersized. The covers are always fine, but every other page looks like the one I attached, all shrunk into one corner. Please tell me there's a relatively easy solution for this. It's driving me insane.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220806-003207.png
Views:	74
Size:	513.3 KB
ID:	195659  
Jaystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 04:38 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Change the output profile to Tablet so the images are not touched.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2022, 05:09 PM   #3
Jaystar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Change the output profile to Tablet so the images are not touched.
The image attached was a conversion that was on the tablet setting. I’m noticing it looks completely normal on the Calibre viewer but gets shrunken down like that on the Kindle, but again only the body pages with the cover being good, so I’m wondering if it’s an issue with my Kindle settings or something but I don’t even begin to know what that would mean. My other comic books that I uploaded to the kindle in PDF form were perfect, full-paged images like they’re supposed to be, and I guess I could just convert to PDF for these new ones but it’s so much nicer having a cover and proper title and metadata and stuff with the mobi format. I’m just not seeing why they turn out so weird.
Old 08-06-2022, 09:16 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Have you tried an KF8/azw3 conversion instead?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 09:43 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaystar View Post
Long story short, I have a whole bunch of comics as ePubs that I'm trying to load onto my Kindle (via converting them to MOBI with Calibre) but no matter how many options I tinker with, the end result always ends up janky and undersized. The covers are always fine, but every other page looks like the one I attached, all shrunk into one corner. Please tell me there's a relatively easy solution for this. It's driving me insane.
Looking at that, the first thing to do is open the epubs and look at the images. What you show makes me think that the comic page images are low resolution. The epub probably has code to size the image to fill the ereader/app window, but, the conversion to MOBI is losing this. Converting to KF8/azw3, as @DNSB suggested, might fix this.

You could try KCC (Kindle Comic Converter). It is optimised for creating formats for different devices, but, I don't know if it will take epub as input.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2022, 10:34 PM   #6
Jaystar

Unfortunately no other kindle compatible conversion worked either. And I also looked at KCC but it only takes cbz/cbr formats sadly.
Old 08-06-2022, 11:14 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=186697
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 05:06 PM   #8
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Kindles use a proprietary fixed-layout for comics in either KF8 or KFX format, depending on the target device. That enables features like full screen and panel-by-panel viewing. A conversion from EPUB to MOBI via calibre isn’t going to generate the correct format.

Your best bet is to extract the images from the EPUB, create a CBZ or CBR, and use Kindle Comic Converter to produce a proper Kindle file from that.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote