Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-16-2022, 12:05 PM   #1
Goli4th
Goli4th began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen)
EPUB to KFX conversion insights

So I'm looking to put all my EPUB files (currently managed on Calibre) on my Kindle. To do this, I plan to convert them to KFX, then use the WordDumb plugin to enable Word Wise.

I have a really large collection (+150 books), all accumulated over time. I've been updating the metadata for each book manually, but I'd like to modernize my files as well. I vaguely remember a feature in Calibre to do all this automatically (update the cover, clean up/delete old unused conversion files, etc) but can't find it. Any advice?

Once that's done, I'm going to use KFX Output to convert the book (I left all the settings at default, I don't know if I should change anything?), then WordDumb (already configured in my language). I don't know if I'm supposed to use Kindle collections (I've never looked into that).
I'm open to any comments or avenues for improvement on my workflow!
Goli4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 12:43 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Um... 150 is really large? Try 25 000... yeah, I edited all of them manually.

Apart from editing, I don't know what you mean by modernizing.

Personally I use AZW3 on my Oasis, as that's the only format allowing the use of custom font sizes (the FONT_RAMP hack). But then I don't use WordWise. No idea if that works with AZW3.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2022, 12:43 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Kindle Collections needs a jailbroken Kindle.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 12:51 PM   #4
Goli4th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Um... 150 is really large? Try 25 000... yeah, I edited all of them manually.
Wow, that's really impressive. I'll never say again that 150 is a lot haha

Quote:
Apart from editing, I don't know what you mean by modernizing.
I remember an option in Calibre that allowed me to replace the cover/first image of the epub file with the one from my metadata. It could do other things too, but I can't remember.

Quote:
Personally I use AZW3 on my Oasis, as that's the only format allowing the use of custom font sizes (the FONT_RAMP hack). But then I don't use WordWise. No idea if that works with AZW3.
KFX is the newest and the one with the most features afaik. All the features of AZW3 work with it.

I'm rather new to the Calibre/Kindle scene, and a bit lost I must confess. I'm just looking to get my ebooks on there, in the best quality possible and in a format that would look as much like a book from the store as possible (with cover, etc). A seamless experience in short!
Old 07-16-2022, 03:41 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goli4th View Post
KFX is the newest and the one with the most features afaik. All the features of AZW3 work with it.
Nope. The FONT_RAMP hack doesn't work with KFX. Neither do a couple of other things, like small line-height and negative margins in the css (which are important to some fussy members here ).
Quote:
I'm rather new to the Calibre/Kindle scene, and a bit lost I must confess. I'm just looking to get my ebooks on there, in the best quality possible and in a format that would look as much like a book from the store as possible (with cover, etc). A seamless experience in short!
If your goal is to get your sideloaded books to look like Amazon purchases, then KFX will be the route to go. As to replacing the cover in the files, I guess you mean Polish Books, which allows you to do this in bulk.
Advert
Old 07-16-2022, 04:16 PM   #6
Goli4th

Quote:
As to replacing the cover in the files, I guess you mean Polish Books, which allows you to do this in bulk.
That's exactly the feature I was looking for! Huge thanks to you!

Not related to that at all, but am I supposed to target a specific device when converting my files? Calibre seems to choose Paperwhite 3 as layout by default, and I own a PW 11.

I made a test by leaving all the settings by default (I just entered my custom pages field in KFX output) and the rendering seems very correct.
Old 07-16-2022, 04:19 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goli4th View Post
That's exactly the feature I was looking for! Huge thanks to you!

Not related to that at all, but am I supposed to target a specific device when converting my files? Calibre seems to choose Paperwhite 3 as layout by default, and I own a PW 11.

I made a test by leaving all the settings by default (I just entered my custom pages field in KFX output) and the rendering seems very correct.
Set the target device to Tablet. This means the images won't be shrunk.
Old 07-16-2022, 04:30 PM   #8
Goli4th

Quote:
Set the target device to Tablet. This means the images won't be shrunk.
Thanks again, I'll try this!