Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-26-2005, 03:58 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
E-books - do YOU read them?

Internationally best-selling novelist, William J. Lambert III, who has written over one-hundred books, in the complete gamut of existing genres, comments on a few of his William Maltese and Willa Lambert books released in electronic (and Audio) formats.

I found doing it, while staring at a computer screen, too downright trying, exhausting, eye-straining, and uncomfortable, especially compared to my curling up with the tactile pleasures of a bound book, seated before a warm fireplace, complete with crackling logs, comforter across my knees, an ice-bucket of cool white wine (and appropriate wine glass) within easy reach.

Mr Lambert, I assume you were reading your e-books on a PC's computer screen. My advice: buy a PalmOne T5 or a Dell Axim X50v of which either one makes a perfect addition to a warm fireplace and cool white wine. I am sure many readers of Mobileread agree with me that reading e-books can also be a comfortable experience IF you do it right!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 10:47 AM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I agree... you can curl up to a good ebook on a PDA, but I hate reading long text on a computer screen.

It's like movies... I find it's wonderful to watch on my PDA, on my TV, or on a movie screen. But not a fun experience on a computer screen. I'll even watch on my PDA at my desk right next to a computer monitor! One exception... it's pretty cool to watch streamed movies on my laptop in a hotel room with broadband.

And as we've said many times before, it's actually less eye strain to read ebooks indoors on a good PDA screen (even a typical 240x320 PPC screen) than a paper book. But outdoors, sure, we need more epaper screens to come out for that to be more practical. Or a PDA screen that looks like some of the pretty amazing LCD and plasma TV screens I see at the local electronics store!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2005, 12:18 PM   #3
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
My advice, Mr. Lambert, is to buy a Zodiac2 and enjoy the splendor of eBooks in landscape form with all of the customizeable buttons of iSilo with the white wine and fireplace. No extra light needed to bother your sleeping parter, as a bonus.

And, it conforms to BobR's widescreen movie experience, so it's added value all the way around.
POL9A
Pride Of Lions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 12:26 AM   #4
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
I'm a devotee of ebook reading, but I can never read anything lengthy on the computer screen. Anything more than a page gets dumped to iSilo for later persual on the PDA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobR
And as we've said many times before, it's actually less eye strain to read ebooks indoors on a good PDA screen (even a typical 240x320 PPC screen) than a paper book.
But this doesn't feel like the case for me, since I tend to read with the text on the smaller side (though not the smallest) and many people think that it's too small for them to see. Maybe I'm just used to it. Can't wait to have a larger screen than my T|E...
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 01:16 AM   #5
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
One thing you almost have to do to read ebooks comfortably is to read in fairly bright indoor light or turn the screen brightness down. Full brightness in a not-so-fully lit room is not easy on the eyes. But turn that brightness down to 25% or so, and it's quite enjoyable.
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2005, 03:39 PM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos
One thing you almost have to do to read ebooks comfortably is to read in fairly bright indoor light or turn the screen brightness down. Full brightness in a not-so-fully lit room is not easy on the eyes. But turn that brightness down to 25% or so, and it's quite enjoyable.
Or, if your e-book reader supports it (e.g. eReader, latest beta of iSilo), use light text color against a dark background -- a great eye relief!

William Lambert was so nice to write me an e-mail regarding his essay from this thread and to allow me to reprint it here:

Quote:
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 09:31:23 -0800
To: Alexander Turcic
Subject: RE: Your essay on e-books
Alexander:

Thanks for your appreciated feedback on my recent essay, regarding
readership of eBooks, posted on useless-knowledge.com.

The responses I've received, yours included, assure me that there are,
indeed, eBOOK readers out there; my survey sample, unfortunately, having
been just too random to have encountered them. (I've heard from quite a few
eBOOK aficionados, for instance, with impaired eyesight who find the format
genuinely advantageous).

As an author, sometimes entirely isolated within a world that consists of
very little more than imagination and computer, it's very easy to lose
perspective (which is apparently what happened to me in this case).

The next time (if ever) I question the validity of my publishers wanting "to
take" one of my books "into" the eBOOK format, I'll only need refer to the
informative feedback letters (which includes yours) that I've received on
the subject.

My thanks for having taken the time and made the effort to get back to me -
and to post your response on your mobileread.com forum page. Your interest
is appreciated.

William
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 03:48 PM   #7
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What a kind and eloquent response from Mr Lambert. It's inspired me to search for one of his books to read...
Old 02-28-2005, 05:46 PM   #8
William Maltese
Author
William Maltese began at the beginning.

Device: Palm
Thanks Bob, but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobR
What a kind and eloquent response from Mr Lambert. It's inspired me to search for one of his books to read...
Bob,

I only hope if and when you select one of my two available eBOOKS to read that you chose my sci-fi BOND-SHATTERING. My circuSex is aimed entirely toward the "erotic" market, and I suspect its contents would have the average reader's socks drop. In fact, BOND-SHATTERING has it's "hot-hot" bits to, so......

I'm probably late with this forewarning, but I wouldn't want ANY reader to think that he was downloading something similar to Roddenberry's "Star Trek" or Disney's "Dumbo" when picking up what's presently available of my stuff.

I might recommend that you wait until I hopefully add my more mainstream writing to the EBook market (i.e. THE BRENTRIDGE GOLD, DOG ON A SURFBOARD, even my Stud Draqual Mystery series).

Always hate to discourage potentially new readers, BUT the last thing I want is you paying out good money to end up with something that's going to have you likely thinking I'm not quite the "nice" guy you may have thought I was.

It's the thought that counts, anyway. So, thanks for your kind response.
William Maltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 07:08 PM   #9
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Thanks for the heads up William! Fortunately, I Googled for info first
You're right, my tastes are not along those lines, but I still appreciate your previous note. You have a real knack with words.

I hope you'll browse MobileRead a bit, and visit us every now and again.

Best wishes!
Old 03-01-2005, 09:43 PM   #10
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Maltese
Bob,

I only hope if and when you select one of my two available eBOOKS to read that you chose my sci-fi BOND-SHATTERING. My circuSex is aimed entirely toward the "erotic" market, and I suspect its contents would have the average reader's socks drop. In fact, BOND-SHATTERING has it's "hot-hot" bits to, so......

I'm probably late with this forewarning, but I wouldn't want ANY reader to think that he was downloading something similar to Roddenberry's "Star Trek" or Disney's "Dumbo" when picking up what's presently available of my stuff.

I might recommend that you wait until I hopefully add my more mainstream writing to the EBook market (i.e. THE BRENTRIDGE GOLD, DOG ON A SURFBOARD, even my Stud Draqual Mystery series).

Always hate to discourage potentially new readers, BUT the last thing I want is you paying out good money to end up with something that's going to have you likely thinking I'm not quite the "nice" guy you may have thought I was.

It's the thought that counts, anyway. So, thanks for your kind response.
Could you provide a URL to a place that sells the ebooks you mentioned? I tried Fictionwise and Diesel books, to no avail.

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 11:50 PM   #11
Colebuddy
Splash Mobile Addict
Colebuddy began at the beginning.

Device: Zire 72
Electronic Books

I've read books since I was a little tyke. In fact, I've read more books of the old fashioned, old school set than I have the electronic versions. (I've clumped all non-paper formatted books such as e-books and audio books for the purpose of simplicity). I must say, that I took a bit of a hiatus from books. However, the audible versions and the Palm formatted books have rejuvenated a reading bug within me over the past 4 years since I first bought my Palm. Ever since that time, I've delved into the alternative, paperless book world and have had more opportunities to experiment with a greater number of styles, authors and genres. My reasons for this are myriad and were built upon a foundation of necessity combined with my love for books.

You see, as my schedule became more and more busy, I've had little time to curl up in front of a book and kick back. My time to "kick back with a book" evolved to reading at night in bed. This alternative sure beats using an annoying lamp that might keep up my wife whenever I read bedside. My lack of free time allowed me to experiment with audio books whenever I do yard work and water the plants or take my 120 mile, 2 hour a day, 6 days a week commute to work. What better way to kill time and feed your brain?

Would I rather curl up in front of a fireplace, dressed in a satin robe and warm slippers over some hot cocoa and puppy dog at my feet? You bet! However, the reality of my schedule dictates that I branch out and discover other methods to feed the rather voracious appetite of my inner "book beast". The varied electronic formats have more than satisfied my hunger for entertaining and informative books.
Colebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 02:25 PM   #12
W. Lambert III
W. Lambert III began at the beginning.

Better late than never -- hopefully

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnett
Could you provide a URL to a place that sells the ebooks you mentioned? I tried Fictionwise and Diesel books, to no avail.

Craig.
Craig:

Sorry, I'm so late in getting back to you as regards the eBooks presently "out" under my William Maltese pseudo, and how you can find the URLS that sell them. Not only have I been a tad "out of touch", lately, having taken a short (and, of course, well-deserved) break from "things", but I tried to check in here a couple of times and, for whatever the reason, the system seemed to think I was an "alien" and refused to let me in.

Anyway, I'm on-site, at least for the moment, and in response to your query (hopefully, better late than never): You can find the eBook version of my circuSex (as well as my print books) on most any "amazon" site: amazon.com; amazon.co.uk; amazon.de ... et al. Think it's, also, available for download at bn.com, too. And, of course, you can head off to the publisher's site at http://www.iuniverse.com and get it downloaded from there.

As for BOND-SHATTERING, I think the cheapest download spot is presently directly from the publisher nighwares LLC at: http://www.nighwares.com. I am, by the way, presently in negotiations with nighwares for them to provide eBooks for at least an additional three of my present print-only books.

If you're interested, too, you might like to head on off to my maltese web-site: -- http://www.williammaltese.com --. Unforunately, I've been so busy of late, it's not actually up to date (none of the eBooks yet included), but there's some bio info that you might find of interest.

And, if you want to contact me directly, feel free to drop me an e-mail at -- williamjlambert3@yahoo.com; especially, since I seem to have periodic problems accessing mobileread.

Sorry again for waiting so long to get back to you. I'll try to do better next time.

My best,
William Lambert
(AKA William Maltese)
W. Lambert III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:05 PM   #13
William Maltese
Author
William Maltese began at the beginning.

I'm "into" e-books just because of the response here

Hey guys:

Back in 2005, I put forward a query as regards to whether or not anyone really reads e-books, since I, personally, didn't seem to have the knack for scrolling tiny screens.

I was particularly interested, of course, because as a writer, I was always having publishers ask me whether or not I wanted my next "to go" e-book, as well as hard-print, and usually -- at the time -- I said, "Why bother? No one really reads them, do they?" As a result, at the time, I think I only had one e-book available, and it was xxx-rated.

Well, don't you know, when I made known my opinion that ebooks weren't really being read by most anyone, I certainly got my comeuppance (very politely, here), both from people with sight problems and others, like those "on the road", who insisted that e-books were the next best thing to white bread.

So, next time one of my publisher asked if I wanted to go ahead and have my book released as an e-book, as well as in print version, I said, "Why not? I understand there are lots of people out there who read them."

As a result, via fictionwise.com and diesel-ebooks.com, I now have available a total of seven of my books available in e-book format. Granted a couple of them are still xxx, BUT there's also, the sci-fi GERUN, THE HERETIC, the sweet romance (that wouldn't even offend my mother) HEART ON FIRE, a male adventure BLOOD-RED RESOLUTION, and a mystey THE FAG IS NOT FOR BURNING.

Who would have guessed that in just a couple of years I'd have out this many, with more to come? Not I? Certainly, thanks to everyone here who kindly input information when I requested it.

William Maltese
http://www.williammaltese
http://www.myspace.com/williammaltese
William Maltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:45 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Great to hear from an author who "gets" eBooks, William. I wish you every success with your sales of them! We're now, of course, in a far better position when it comes to reading eBooks than we were when the thread started, with the latest "eInk" readers which pretty much replicate the experience of reading a paper book, and none of the "eye strain" that comes from reading from a small PDA.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:19 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I agree. with HarryT. Welcome aboard William. It's nice to be able to see things from the author's side of things. Especially an author who understand ebooks and how important they are/will become. For people with dificulty ready the small print in an ordinary paperback, it's great. Just up the font size and read away.

The Sony Reader makes it very nice to read ebooks on the go. I took my reader to NYC this weekend and it made it nice to have a pile of books with me without having to lug around a pile of books.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote