Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-22-2021, 06:18 PM   #1
iancs
iancs began at the beginning.

Device: none
Drop Caps epub->Mobi

Hi.
I am converting my own book to several formats on Calibre. And I am trying to convert from the Epub created in InDesign to a mobi file. When I do that, the Drop Caps get screwed. I don't really have any idea of how can I solve that. The conversion to AZW3 is perfect tho.
Thanks.
iancs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 06:20 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by iancs View Post
Hi.
I am converting my own book to several formats on Calibre. And I am trying to convert from the Epub created in InDesign to a mobi file. When I do that, the Drop Caps get screwed. I don't really have any idea of how can I solve that. The conversion to AZW3 is perfect tho.
Thanks.
Mobi is an old format and has very poor support for many CSS features. Go with azw3 unless you have such an old Amazon Kindle that mobi is needed.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2021, 06:26 PM   #3
iancs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Mobi is an old format and has very poor support for many CSS features. Go with azw3 unless you have such an old Amazon Kindle that mobi is needed.
Actually, I am doing this to sell the book on my website. So, I'm trying to cover as many devices as I can. I won't sell it on Amazon because of my own reasons. I guess it's impossible to convert to mobi and keep the Drop Caps, right?
Old 01-22-2021, 06:36 PM   #4
iancs

If it's impossible, how can I make the first letter just like the others on the mobi using Calibre? I mean, simply delete the drop cap thing and force the mobi to use the same size for the letter that was supposed to be a drop cap?
Old 01-22-2021, 06:49 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
You might want to ask that question in the Kindle Formats forum in the E-Books Format area.

Or possibly before posting do a search for drop caps to CYA in case it's already been asked and answered. One thread in the Epub forum had Hitch showing the results of converting epub to mobi and what the drop caps looked like. Check it here.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2021, 11:01 PM   #6
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
Drag your ePub file into Calibre. This will be an extra instance of the ePub file in Calibre. The original ePub file will still be in the original folder.

Find the class that defines the dropcap (in the first paragraph of each chapter, normally). Then do a find and replace in all the html files.

Example:

Find: <span class="dropcap">
Replace:

(Leave the "Replace" line blank to delete all of the dropcap codes.)

Then convert this ePub to MOBI.

Last edited by deback; 01-22-2021 at 11:03 PM.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 12:12 AM   #7
iancs

Thank both of you for the help. I decided to remove completely the drop cap from all files but the Interactive PDF. I think it will grant a better consistency through the process of reading.