Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-29-2020, 09:38 PM   #1
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Browser Hacks for Goodreads?

Sirtel suggested that I should join Goodreads and see if its recommendations might help find books.

I'm having trouble with the site.

I have a severe astigmatism. Everywhere, I need to force Firefox 80 to use more readable-for-me fonts and font sizes. On Goodreads and some other sides, I end up with a lot of text and other elements overlapping and sometimes hiding other text and other other elements. I can't rely on full-page-zoom since most sites use unreadable-for-me fonts, with most text far too small and other text far too big, and since it can cause trouble with scrolling, with sticky keys, and so on.

If anyone knows of user css or other hacks for Goodreads, it'd help...
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 10:10 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
You might want to try the cross platform text based web browser lynx.

Also, you are not required to join goodreads to access reviews and various other content.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2020, 11:36 PM   #3
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Have you tried "Reader View"? Many browsers support some for of this. You can get rid of the fluff on webpages, change fonts and sizes, colors, etc. I believe Firefox supports it natively. But some webpages don't have the icon to move to reader view, I have noticed this on big busy main webpages like the front page to foxnews, etc. But once you get away from that main front webpage, the individual article webpages have reader view available. Goodreads may be similar, so if you don't see the reader view icon on the very first main page, go to some sub-page and see if it appears there. I'm thinking that these super busy main webpages are trying to throw so many ads at you that they go to extremes to confuse services like reader view so you can't bypass their ads. Maybe, maybe not. But be sure to check sub-pages on a website before giving up on finding reader view.

Here is one (older) link that explains a few things about this on various browsers:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/use...sktop-browser/

If your browser doesn't support something like this natively, there are often times add-on extensions available to do it. I use the "Chromium" web browser (the parent, non-spying version of Chrome). You can enable it in Chromium, but there are several steps to do that. However, there is an extension available, aptly named "Reader View", that makes it just a button click.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 11:47 PM   #4
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Reader View doesn't work on the shelf pages. Which are needed to get the recommendations, which are needed to matk the "not interested," and so on...

On any of these sites, allowing AND OR and NOT search would make things easier.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 04:01 AM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
I have a severe astigmatism. Everywhere, I need to force Firefox 80 to use more readable-for-me fonts and font sizes.
You can install the GreaseMonkey/Tampermonkey browser plugins and override pretty much any style with your own style.

For example, the following user script will change the font, the font size and the font color of user reviews.

Code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name     Fix Goodreads styles
// @include  *.goodreads.com/book*
// @version  1
// @grant    none

// ==/UserScript==
function addGlobalStyle(css) {
    var head, style;
    head = document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0];
    if (!head) { return; }
    style = document.createElement('style');
    style.type = 'text/css';
    style.innerHTML = css;
    head.appendChild(style);
}
addGlobalStyle('.readable {font-family: "Comic Sans MS"; font-size: 130%; color: blue; !important; }');
To install it select New user script..., overwrite the template with the above code and save it.

If you then select a book review, for example, this one, you should see a difference.

For more information, see this website.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before.PNG
Views:	227
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	181651   Click image for larger version

Name:	after.PNG
Views:	210
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	181652  
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2020, 12:00 AM   #6
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Goodreads got a lot of slack in feedback when they changed their font to "light", but they didn't seem to care no one liked it and didn't change it back. I used to use an add-on for Firefox to avoid straining my eyes for my home computer, but it seems Firefox has changed things around. When I feel like it's causing eye strain, I keep the website on a Zoom feature - which is annoying. I don't know why they don't consider these things more when changing things about their website
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goodreads