Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-24-2020, 07:39 PM   #1
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
PageEdit-1.3.0 Released

PageEdit-1.3.0

PageEdit-1.3.0 represents a mix of bug fixes and new features.

Windows users please note that the installer will now allow PageEdit to be installed for the current user only if desired. The installation of the included Visual Studio C++ runtime, however, will always require administrative privileges. You can provide those credentials for the runtime install portion only (if you install PageEdit for the current user). The user can also skip the runtime check/install entirely if they desire. If they do so, however, it will be up to them (or their administrator) to make sure the proper Visual Studio C++ runtime is installed. Because of these changes, it recommended that Windows users uninstall the previous version of PageEdit before installing this one. No settings, preferences, or plugins (or their configurations) will be lost by doing so.

New Features
  • Windows/macOS release build updated to Qt 5.12.9 with added bug fixes
  • Added experimental protection against evil epubs manipulating file: urls
  • Changes to support building with Visual Studio 2019 on Windows
  • Improved Windows Installer and handling of C++ runtime libraries

Bug Fixes
  • refactored built-in dark theme
  • Fixes to support Qt 5.15 on Linux

The latest official PageEdit user guide can always be downloaded from its own repository. There's also a user-created guide that can be found here.

The binary downloads (and source) can be found as assets at the bottom of the PageEdit Github Release page.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:16 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Tell all your 32-bit friends that PageEdit 1.3.0 has a 32-bit binary installer that can be downloaded.

Just don't get too used to this happening.

https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/PageE...ases/tag/1.3.0

It's the Window Setup file that doesn't have an 'x64' in the file name, in case there's any confusion.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-26-2020 at 12:05 PM.
Advert
Old 07-27-2020, 11:25 AM   #3
brent63
Zealot
brent63 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tab E nook
Hello again,

I downloaded and installed both Sigil and Pageedit 1.3.0 and installed them both. This was after reading some people say that LibreOffice was better than OpenOffice and reading how the split happened and what one software can use but the other can't I uninstalled OO and installed LO.

The only two times I that I have done minor edits to my Sigil file by using Pageedit and copying the line of text from page edit into LO to add additional lines of text as Pagedit does not have a strong spell checker nor does it use curly quotes.

When I cut and paste the text from LO into PageEdit it appears to pile up on itself. I like to use first line indented, however this adds always added additional code in Sigil that I then remove as my CSS file handles that.

So this time I left the text in LO as default formatting and it still piled up in Pageedit. I save the file anyway and flipped back to Sigil and this is what was at the beginning of each paragraph:

<p style="margin-bottom: 0in; line-height: 1px; background-image: initial; background-position: initial; background-size: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px;">

I know it's not a Sigil issue; but I'm not sure if it's a PageEdit issue having read that PageEdit is basically set with only minor tweaks to come, or if it's an LO issue which never happened with OO.

Thanks
Brent
brent63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 11:35 AM   #4
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I can almost guarantee that the programmers would not have gone through the trouble to add inline styling to imported html.

This would have to be something that is generated by LO. Instead of Copy/paste, have you tried exporting to html from LO and then importing that file? That should let you know if your code is clean, or not.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 11:46 AM   #5
brent63
Zealot

Its me again,

I just did a test where I created a new text document in LO and typed in some nonsense for text.

I then cut and pasted it into PE and got piled up text. I then cut and pasted it first into Windows Notepad and then into PE. Text pasted in file, see attached.

Thanks

Brent
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Text.PNG
Views:	204
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	180949  
Advert
Old 07-27-2020, 11:51 AM   #6
brent63
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I can almost guarantee that the programmers would not have gone through the trouble to add inline styling to imported html.

This would have to be something that is generated by LO. Instead of Copy/paste, have you tried exporting to html from LO and then importing that file? That should let you know if your code is clean, or not.
I have imported larger text file that I first have converted into HTML files and then added the HTML file directly into Sigil with no issue. I usually only do that when I have large amounts of text that I want to add into different chapters of my e-books and not just minor changes.

See added image

Brent
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	test.PNG
Views:	194
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	180950  

Last edited by brent63; 07-27-2020 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:18 PM   #7
brent63
Zealot

Yup there is certainly something up with cutting and pasting from LO into PageEdit.

Saving LO text file as HTML and opening it with Pageedit looks just fine, see attached.

Starting to rethink my decision to switch from OO to LO.

Brent
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Test2.PNG
Views:	202
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	180952  
Old 07-27-2020, 02:30 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I have no idea what you mean by "piling up." Could you be more specific?
Old 07-27-2020, 02:36 PM   #9
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Are you cutting and pasting simple text, or are you cutting and pasting html snippets, or are you cutting and pasting pre-formatted text.

It matters. Try pasting just text not preformatted text.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:54 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I typically get a choice to paste as "Plain Text" when copying from LO.

Try using the Edit->Paste in PageEdit. For whatever reason, I don't get the choice when using the context menu paste, or the ctrl+p shortcut.

Clipboard stuff is squirrelly with Qt. Once you've used ctrl+p or the context menu paste, it seems it's game over for pasting clean html (unless you delete all the preformatted cruft and start over). Hitting enter seems to duplicate all the cruft from the previous p element.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-27-2020 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 05:28 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
For Windows there are 3rd party startup utilities that will clean up text before its pasted.

I use a Scrub Text macro in Clipboard Fusion. Just did tests pasting formatted text from Firefox and Word into PageEdit 1.2 with the Scrub turned -- only got the plain text.

I haven't installed 1.3 yet - but there's nothing in the release notes that makes me think it won't continue to work.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 11:11 AM   #12
brent63
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I have no idea what you mean by "piling up." Could you be more specific?
See my previous post with a 3:46 time stamp.

Thanks
Brent

Last edited by brent63; 07-28-2020 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:14 AM   #13
brent63
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Are you cutting and pasting simple text, or are you cutting and pasting html snippets, or are you cutting and pasting pre-formatted text.

It matters. Try pasting just text not preformatted text.
I did formatted text, and default text. If it's in an html file I add the entire file into sigil directly.

the only time it didn't pile up was, as I said I pasted it first into Windows Notepad, which strips out all formatting. With using OO I have limited my programs down to three OO, PageEdit and Sigil. If I use LO I would need to put Notepad in between LO and PageEdit.

Thanks
Brent

Last edited by brent63; 07-28-2020 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:25 AM   #14
brent63
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I typically get a choice to paste as "Plain Text" when copying from LO.

Try using the Edit->Paste in PageEdit. For whatever reason, I don't get the choice when using the context menu paste, or the ctrl+p shortcut.

Clipboard stuff is squirrelly with Qt. Once you've used ctrl+p or the context menu paste, it seems it's game over for pasting clean html (unless you delete all the preformatted cruft and start over). Hitting enter seems to duplicate all the cruft from the previous p element.
The thing is I have removed LO and reinstalled OO and I so long as I use or change back to default text before cutting and pasting from OO into PageEdit my paragraphs are simple <p> If I forget to I have a quick find and replace in Sigil that fixes it, but LO that was a mess.

Thanks
Brent
Old 07-28-2020, 11:31 AM   #15
brent63
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
For Windows there are 3rd party startup utilities that will clean up text before its pasted.

I use a Scrub Text macro in Clipboard Fusion. Just did tests pasting formatted text from Firefox and Word into PageEdit 1.2 with the Scrub turned -- only got the plain text.

I haven't installed 1.3 yet - but there's nothing in the release notes that makes me think it won't continue to work.

BR
I often copy text from different places that I wish to use, and I use Windows Notepad to strip out the formatting before bringing it into OO to make minor or major edits to it before cutting and pasting it into PageEdit. I liked that I didn't have to go back thru Notepad to strip out the formatting again.

Thanks
Brent