Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-01-2020, 07:40 PM   #1
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
azw3 vs kfx?

I have been using azw3 to sideload my books to my kindles. However, I've heard about the kfx format as an option. Is this a better format for sideloading?
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:40 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
I have been using azw3 to sideload my books to my kindles. However, I've heard about the kfx format as an option. Is this a better format for sideloading?
You can only get it from amazon wirelessly.

There is a calibre plug-in that can output kfx, but it produces a single file, which might have some downsides,
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2020, 04:44 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
For most books the only difference between azw3 and KFX is artificial in terms of typesetting/layout because they use the same upload to KDP. The difference isn't great. The reason for KFX seems to be to increase DRM and optimise Whispernet delivery, especially GSM/3G/4G which unlike your laptop, tablet or WiFi, Amazon and the Publisher is paying for.

Please select Download via PC (a tablet or phone works as does Mac and Linux) as other wise the Publisher is being charged and books the Publisher has selected as DRM free are having KFX DRM added.

There is nothing visually that Amazon couldn't add to azw/KF8 rendering on all the ereaders that support KFX. There is no change needed to the actual ebook azw files.

So please boycott KFX. You aren't missing much (just slightly fancier rendering on screen) compared to KF8. It's a nasty format.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 02:47 PM   #4
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
For most books the only difference between azw3 and KFX is artificial in terms of typesetting/layout because they use the same upload to KDP. The difference isn't great. The reason for KFX seems to be to increase DRM and optimise Whispernet delivery, especially GSM/3G/4G which unlike your laptop, tablet or WiFi, Amazon and the Publisher is paying for.

Please select Download via PC (a tablet or phone works as does Mac and Linux) as other wise the Publisher is being charged and books the Publisher has selected as DRM free are having KFX DRM added.

There is nothing visually that Amazon couldn't add to azw/KF8 rendering on all the ereaders that support KFX. There is no change needed to the actual ebook azw files.

So please boycott KFX. You aren't missing much (just slightly fancier rendering on screen) compared to KF8. It's a nasty format.
I agree with You about all the bad things You say about KFX. And may be that Amazon could have added the "better typography" using AZW3.

But the question is: KFX will be cooler than AZW3 in my Kindle?

And the answer is: Yes. You will obtain hyphenation, ligatures, kerning and better handling of tables. And if I remember correctly only with KFX books there is the 9 pages preview. The only thing You could obtain with AZW3 is hyphenation and You must use soft-hypens (and funny things will happen if there are pop-up notes).

And IMHO (I don't want to boycott anything but if You desire to do it) You boycott KFX better using the calibre plugin: You buy Your books elsewhere and You read them on Kindle with the same quality of books purchased from Amazon.

Drawback of KFX produced by calibre plugin:
  • They are larger than files downloaded from Amazon because they are not compressed.
  • Not all books can be converted into KFX (but now a vast majority of them can be converted)
  • No Linux compatibility for the plugin.

Last edited by ps67; 07-02-2020 at 03:07 PM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:39 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I read my books bought from Amazon on a Kobo Which leads to the similar epub2 vs kobo proprietary kepub doing different rendering. And on it too, like Kindle, it's mostly about the rendering software, not KF8 vs KFX or epub2 vs kepub, as many KFX and kepub start as epub2 anyway.

I also migrated to Linux.
Advert
Old 07-03-2020, 05:40 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I read my books bought from Amazon on a Kobo Which leads to the similar epub2 vs kobo proprietary kepub doing different rendering. And on it too, like Kindle, it's mostly about the rendering software, not KF8 vs KFX or epub2 vs kepub, as many KFX and kepub start as epub2 anyway.

Windows 10 vs. Linux (meh)
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:07 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Windows NT 3.5, NT 3.51, NT4.0, 2K, XP, Win 7 vs Win 10.
Old 07-03-2020, 04:09 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Windows NT 3.5, NT 3.51, NT4.0, 2K, XP, Win 7 vs Win 10.
And Windows 10 is the winner by a landslide.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:31 PM   #9
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I'm still with Windows 7 and I'm staying there as long as poss.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:40 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I'm still with Windows 7 and I'm staying there as long as poss.
Are you able to run Calibe 4.20?
Old 07-05-2020, 01:10 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
About 14 years ago for me. (Although I still dual-booted to Windows XP or used a VM for a couple years for a couple applications.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 03:53 PM   #12
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are you able to run Calibe 4.20?
Last night I downloaded the last Calibre update capable of running on Win 7. It's 3.48. I haven't installed it yet because the instructions on the web page are to uninstall the current version, and I'm a bit nervous about doing that, even though I'm having problems with it - it won't open easily. I have to spend ages telling the program to open.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:05 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Last night I downloaded the last Calibre update capable of running on Win 7. It's 3.48. I haven't installed it yet because the instructions on the web page are to uninstall the current version, and I'm a bit nervous about doing that, even though I'm having problems with it - it won't open easily. I have to spend ages telling the program to open.
Try 4.20. If that doesn't work, you can uninstall it and install 3.48. When you uninstall Calibre, you don't lose your plugins, settings, and libraries.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:15 PM   #14
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Try 4.20. If that doesn't work, you can uninstall it and install 3.48. When you uninstall Calibre, you don't lose your plugins, settings, and libraries.
According to the Calibre website, 4.20 doesn't work on Win 7

https://calibre-ebook.com/download_windows

Under Note it says:

"If you are using Windows 7 or Vista please, use calibre 3.48, which works with all Windows 7/Vista machines, from here (this word is a link - BookCat). Simply un-install calibre and install 3.48, doing so will not affect your books/settings."
Old 07-09-2020, 11:36 PM   #15
Janet56
Enthusiast
Janet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Libra, Forma (8 and 32 gb), Sage, Kindle Oasis
Just a quick note - I have my books on my 64 bit Windows 7 laptop and Calibre 4.20 is running just fine.
Janet56 is offline   Reply With Quote