Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-07-2020, 03:01 PM   #1
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Smallest/lightest 6" Eink Reader?

My lightest is the Sony PRS-T3 at 7.6 ounces with the factory lighted cover. Also the narrowest at about 108 mm. Height is about 159mm. Both measurements in the lighted cover. My Kobo Aura, cased, is shorter vertically but considerably wider and heavier. The 5" Sony 350 and Kobo Mini are similar weight to the PRS-T3 but a bit shorter vertically. In factory cases they are both wider than the T3.

None of my Kindle or Nook 6" readers compare with the size and weight of the T3.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 03:28 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
From what I was able to look up, the t3 with light cover is actually 12.2oz.

The Kobo Clara HD is 5.6oz with no cover. A sleep cover I found Amazon is 3.5oz for a total of 8.8oz. Lighter then the T3 and the Kobo has a front light.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2020, 05:10 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
The Oasis 1 without its cover is the lightest, 131 g (4.6 oz). With the cover it's 238 g (8.4 oz).

Last edited by Sirtel; 04-07-2020 at 05:13 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 05:34 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The Oasis 1 without its cover is the lightest, 131 g (4.6 oz). With the cover it's 238 g (8.4 oz).
The cover is heavy because it contains a battery. Without the batter in the cover, the run time is rather poor. The Oasis 1 is terrible design no matter the weight.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:55 PM   #5
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
From what I was able to look up, the t3 with light cover is actually 12.2oz.

The Kobo Clara HD is 5.6oz with no cover. A sleep cover I found Amazon is 3.5oz for a total of 8.8oz. Lighter then the T3 and the Kobo has a front light.
My digital scale says otherwise and checks in agreement with Amazon's Kindle weights within 1/20 ounce. That tells me that the weight you found listed for the PRS-T3 IS WRONG.

Last edited by Richwood; 04-07-2020 at 07:10 PM.
Advert
Old 04-08-2020, 03:50 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
My digital scale says otherwise and checks in agreement with Amazon's Kindle weights within 1/20 ounce. That tells me that the weight you found listed for the PRS-T3 IS WRONG.
Does your weight includes batteries for the light?
Old 04-08-2020, 09:29 AM   #7
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I don't have dimensions/weight solely for the lighted cover, but these numbers for the T3 are copy/pasted from the Sony T3 user guide:

Dimensions (w/h/d)
PRS-T3: 109 × 160 × 11.3 mm (4 3/8 × 6 3/8 × 15/32 inches)
PRS-T3S: 107 × 160 × 8.8 mm (4 1/4 × 6 3/8 × 3/8 inches)
Mass
PRS-T3: 200 g (7.1 oz.)
PRS-T3S: 160 g (5.6 oz.)
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:44 AM   #8
Richwood
Astronomy Nut

Quote:
The Sony T3 lighted cover is like the factory lighted covers for the Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT and Kindle Touch and runs off the reader's internal battery.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:38 PM   #9
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The T3 lighted cover is very minimal. Either the original or the lighted cover basically includes the attached back cover with a front flap. It's different from a typical ereader cover like what I have for my Kobo or Tolino.

I know most people here hate goodereader but this video by them does show clearly how the Sony cover attaches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP0TLQ1XYAI

Of the four ereaders listed in my user info to the left, the PRS-T3 with lighted cover takes up the least amount of space if I'm putting it in a pocket of my handbag. It's very slim.

Last edited by 4691mls; 04-08-2020 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:45 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I don't have dimensions/weight solely for the lighted cover, but these numbers for the T3 are copy/pasted from the Sony T3 user guide:

Dimensions (w/h/d)
PRS-T3: 109 × 160 × 11.3 mm (4 3/8 × 6 3/8 × 15/32 inches)
PRS-T3S: 107 × 160 × 8.8 mm (4 1/4 × 6 3/8 × 3/8 inches)
Mass
PRS-T3: 200 g (7.1 oz.)
PRS-T3S: 160 g (5.6 oz.)
There is no way that the light cover is .5oz. So my weight of 12.2oz may or may not be correct. But it's more correct then 7.6oz. I don't know if the 12.2oz includes the batteries. So the T3 with light cover is heavier then initially reported.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:09 PM   #11
4691mls
Wizard

I found the PRS-T3 cover on the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20140401...ader/prsa-cl30

If you scroll way down the page to "details" it says "Ultra lightweight (80g)"

Online gram/ounce converters indicate this is a little over 2.8 oz
Old 04-08-2020, 02:17 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I found the PRS-T3 cover on the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20140401...ader/prsa-cl30

If you scroll way down the page to "details" it says "Ultra lightweight (80g)"

Online gram/ounce converters indicate this is a little over 2.8 oz
But that weight is without batteries.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:45 PM   #13
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Quote:
The Sony T3 lighted cover is like the factory lighted covers for the Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT and Kindle Touch and runs off the reader's internal battery.
Quote:
But that weight is without batteries.
Richwood is correct - the T3 cover uses the reader's battery.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:25 PM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I can confirm that. My Sony PRS-T3 with lighted case is 214.1 grams, which comes out to 7.5521553 ounces. My next smallest (lighted) eReader is the Tolino Shine 3 (Clara hardware twin). With a Fintie cover it weighs 265.5 grams (9.3652369 ounces). But it's thicker and wider than the T3, though I don't have the thinnest case available. (The Shine 3, without a case, is 164.4 grams or 5.8 ounces.)

PocketBook has produced some really small and light eReaders in their newest generation, but they don't quite match the Sony T3's size or weight (when factoring in a case). The HD 3 (for example, the "fanciest" of their 6" readers) weighs 155 grams, and has dimensions of 161.3 x 108 x 8 mm. It features Text to Talk (via USB adapter or Bluetooth), water resistance (HZO), 300 dpi, 16 GBs "warm" lighting and page turn buttons (this model doesn't have a microSD slot, like many of the Pocketbooks still have). It also can handle ASCM files directly (so you can buy or borrow protected ePubs online with its Web Browser). It looks like these can be bought from Tech Inn (I think an English outfit that ships to the U.S.) for $140 plus $8 s/h. (Can't personally vouch for them.)

https://www.techinn.com/en/pocketboo...-6/137356320/p

PocketBook has a full line that uses this form factor (same weight and size). They have the non-touch Basic Lux 2, front-lit, 212 ppi, 8GB (plus microSD slot) $79 + $8 s/h. The Touch Lux 4 (adds a touch screen to the Basic Lux 2 features, plus 512MB RAM instead of 256MB) for $108 + $8 s/h. (Some of their models still use the older form factor.) All PocketBooks are supposed to be able to use 17 eBook formats (PDF, PDF(DRM), EPUB, EPUB(DRM), DJVU, FB2, FB2.ZIP, DOC, DOCX, RTF, PRC, TXT, CHM, HTM, HTML, MOBI, ACSM).

A comparison of these three models...
https://www.pocketbook-int.com/us/pr...31+80341+85911

At any rate, right now I have a PocketBook 615 (original Basic Lux with Pearl screen and without WiFi which weighs 5.7 ounces, without a case) and i like the way it displays text — so (down the line) I'm probably going to pick up one of these new generation versions. If I can really borrow from Overdrive and buy protected ePubs directly from bookstores with these (without WiFi I can't test that), they seem like about the perfect eReader for me. (The Tolinos are nice, but I like that the PocketBoooks have many more choices in text size and the 615 seems to render my fonts better.)

Last edited by rcentros; 04-08-2020 at 05:09 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:37 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
There is no way that the light cover is .5oz. So my weight of 12.2oz may or may not be correct. But it's more correct then 7.6oz. I don't know if the 12.2oz includes the batteries. So the T3 with light cover is heavier then initially reported.
You're wrong. The T3 (with lighted cover) weighs slightly less than 7.6 ounces. I can vouch for and verify that. You have to understand that the cover on a T3 is basically the back part of the T3's case plus a flap to cover the screen. It's a unique design and very light. Even the Sony T2 (without light or case) was 162 grams, lighter than the current Kobo Clara. Sony made some nice, light readers for the time.

Last edited by rcentros; 04-08-2020 at 05:40 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote