Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-07-2008, 10:17 AM   #1
Choisya
Choisya began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Ectaco Jetbook downloads.

I recently purchased an Ectaco Jetbook but have been disappointed to find that only one (inefficient) website, Diesel Ebooks, has any modern bestseller type books to purchase. Most are classics which at 75 years of age I have either read or do not want to read!

I am currently trying to buy Monica Ali's Brick Lane to no avail as I cannot get onto the Diesel website to buy it. Anhy ideas where else I can get it?

Also, I downloaded War & Peace fro Gutenberg in txt format but it is incorrectly aligned - any ideas why this is or are Gutenberg txt files always like this?
Choisya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:50 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choisya View Post
Also, I downloaded War & Peace fro Gutenberg in txt format but it is incorrectly aligned - any ideas why this is or are Gutenberg txt files always like this?
What do you mean by "incorrectly aligned"? PG books are plain text files.

Unfortunately with the JetBook your choice of format is extremely limited - PDF or plain text. You're going to have to buy a book in a different format (eg LIT) and convert it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2008, 11:55 AM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
It's probably because there are linefeeds in the text at a certain line length. You should be able to remove these with any text editor... Assuming there are two line feeds between paragraphs it shouldn't be to hard.

For contemporary ebooks you are probably going to want to do some DRM removal. Then you will need to convert that file to .txt.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:11 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I recently purchased an Ectaco Jetbook but have been disappointed to find that only one (inefficient) website, Diesel Ebooks, has any modern bestseller type books to purchase. Most are classics which at 75 years of age I have either read or do not want to read!

I am currently trying to buy Monica Ali's Brick Lane to no avail as I cannot get onto the Diesel website to buy it. Anhy ideas where else I can get it?

Since you have a Kindle, just ditch the Jetbook and use that instead to read moder eBooks. The Jetbooks reflowable format is just plain text. Rather useless if you want proper reflowing with bold, italics, links, images, etc. Basically, as Bob said, you'll have to buy DRMed eBooks and rip out the formatting to make then plain text. Just stick with the Kindle and try to sell the Jetbook.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:34 PM   #5
tazzle
Glyph
tazzle began at the beginning.

For free books, I prefer to get them from manybooks.net because they nicely offer the texts in many convenient formats... For example, here is their page for War and Peace; try downloading the PDF version of this (look for the download button at top right, and choose PDF from the menu), and see if this looks better on your Jetbook.
tazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2008, 03:52 AM   #6
Choisya

Thanks folks but (a) I do not have a Kindle - I am in the UK so could not purchase one without complications.

(b) I am not technical enough to change these formats - haven't the faintest idea how to start!

(c) I will try the Manybooks format to see if it is better than Gutenbeg. By 'not aligned properly' I mean that the sentences do not run on in the normal way, there were lots of broken lines on the page.

(d) I will have another go at getting on to Diesel since they have quite a few books from the bestseller lists - the only website I have seen so far that has and that have a suitable format for Jetbook (Adobe).

Last edited by Choisya; 10-10-2008 at 03:59 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:57 AM   #7
Choisya

Sorry Bob, but I do not know what a line feed, text editor or DRM is, nor do I know how to convert! You are dealing with an elderly ignoramous here!
Old 10-10-2008, 10:11 AM   #8
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Choisya,
A line feed is simply what tells the computer that you have reached the end of the current line and need to start a new one. They work great at the end of a paragraph, if they are used in other places, the document will only look right if the screen displays as many columns as the original document.

A text editor (assuming you have windows) would be something like notepad... or even Word in Microsoft Office (Though that would be overkill for this purpose).

If you are on a Mac, Perl might be installed, if so, I can write a little script that will strip the new line characters (except at the end of paragraphs and for blank lines) pretty quickly.

The PG txt version of War and Peace (edition 12) uses new lines to break paragraphs apart, which makes it easy to convert. If it used normal indentation, it would be a little more complicated (Mainly because you would have to look at the next line before you decided to strip the new line character from the current line), but it still would not be tough.

If you have perl installed, let me know, and I will put together the script for you.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:15 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry Bob, but I do not know what a line feed, text editor or DRM is, nor do I know how to convert! You are dealing with an elderly ignoramous here!
You don't know NOW but you can learn. We're all here to help.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:36 AM   #10
Choisya

I've given up on my Ectaco except to read the classics that are already there. All the conversion stuff is far too much trouble and not worth the bother. I will wait until Kindle comes to the UK because I understand that it is simpler and anyway you can buy books from a proper bookseller. I tried the new Sony but I need a search facility and it does not have one.

Thanks for your help guys!
Old 10-15-2008, 08:54 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
I've given up on my Ectaco except to read the classics that are already there. All the conversion stuff is far too much trouble and not worth the bother. I will wait until Kindle comes to the UK because I understand that it is simpler and anyway you can buy books from a proper bookseller. I tried the new Sony but I need a search facility and it does not have one.

Thanks for your help guys!
Yes, conversion does take an effort, but for many of us here the effort is very much worth it. For example, I convert .lit files for my Sony. It takes about one second; then, I load the file into calibre and convert it for Sony. It may sometimes take 15 seconds to do that.

We thought you had a Kindle based upon what you chose in the User's Preferences section.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:33 PM   #12
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Some people on the-ebook.org forums claim that there is a firmware for Ectaco with FB2 support. But apparently you cannot just download it but need somehow to request from the support.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:28 AM   #13
Choisya

Thanks Don. It may take seconds to download once you have mastered the conversion techniques but I just do not understand the language of these programs and the jargon defeats me. At 75 years of age maybe my brain is slowing down somewhat or I just lack the patience.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:32 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks Don. It may take seconds to download once you have mastered the conversion techniques but I just do not understand the language of these programs and the jargon defeats me. At 75 years of age maybe my brain is slowing down somewhat or I just lack the patience.
Damn it, don't be so defeatist . TRY it, don't just say "oh, it's too difficult for me to do". You're obviously not stupid, and there's absolutely no reason that you can't do the same thing that so many of the rest of us are doing without problem.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:14 AM   #15
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Some people on the-ebook.org forums claim that there is a firmware for Ectaco with FB2 support. But apparently you cannot just download it but need somehow to request from the support.
Just a point, but .fb2 support came pre-installed on my Jetbook.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote