Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-12-2018, 04:31 PM   #1
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
"Time left in book" not working anymore

For some reason on my new Oasis2, time left just doesn't work anymore. Now I don't know if its the recent update, or the O2. I haven't read on my Voyage long enough to pay attention, or my old O1. I'd have to test it.

But in any case, it doesn't matter how many time I do the reset with the code.
;ReadingTimeReset
It works for a while, it shows learning speed. Then it might work for some pages. Usually by the time I hit around 20% or so in a book, it goes all off again and then it stays on something like 9 minutes left in book and 1 minutes left in chapter. And it will not budge. I do the reset again, and after some pages, same thing again and again. I cannot keep it going for a whole book. I read normally as I always to.

All the books are from amazon direct, not sideloaded.

I have restarted the O2 with the button and from the menu. Not reset to factory, just restarting.

Does anyone else have these issues? Its my favorite setting, especially if there aren't any page number, just locations.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:11 PM   #2
anxobaltar
Enthusiast
anxobaltar began at the beginning.

Device: kindle Oasis 9th Gen
It happens exactly the same to me! It does not work, I advance some pages and it works and again 1 minute left to finish the chapter. I thought it was a problem with the book I'm reading but now...🤔

Enviado desde mi ONEPLUS A3003 mediante Tapatalk
anxobaltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2018, 06:32 PM   #3
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxobaltar View Post
It happens exactly the same to me! It does not work, I advance some pages and it works and again 1 minute left to finish the chapter. I thought it was a problem with the book I'm reading but now...🤔

Enviado desde mi ONEPLUS A3003 mediante Tapatalk
It happens with every book I been reading so far. Glad to know I am not alone. I might send off a feedback to amazon, once I can figure out where the email is. Yes, it always defaults to 1 minute chapter left and for book left its either 9 minutes or the one I read now is 13 minutes. But chapter always goes to 1 after a while. No matter how often I reset and have it relearn the reading speed.

It annoys. I hope it gets fixed.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:10 PM   #4
Atunah
Wizard

I think I fixed it. I did the reading time reset one more time and then this time I did a restart not with the button and using the popup restart, but just held the button down until it restarted on its own.

I then finished the book I was reading and I am now almost 70% through the next and the reading time has been holding correctly.

I didn't know that a hold down button restart is different than the menu restart and the popup restart. But something seems to have gotten worked out.

I am happy to have my time left in book back, or time left in chapter. I usually stay with time left in book.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:12 PM   #5
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I was have this issue until I shutdown then restarted my Oasis.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2018, 06:00 PM   #6
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I didn't know that a hold down button restart is different than the menu restart and the popup restart. But something seems to have gotten worked out.
The menu and the shorter time (20ish seconds) pushing the button until popup initiates a "soft" restart. The longer press (40+ seconds) is a more thorough "hard" restart that is completely shutting off the Kindle and powering back on.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:25 PM   #7
Atunah
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
The menu and the shorter time (20ish seconds) pushing the button until popup initiates a "soft" restart. The longer press (40+ seconds) is a more thorough "hard" restart that is completely shutting off the Kindle and powering back on.
Ah, good to know. If I have any issues in the future, I'll just go right for the hard restart. I finished a whole book now and time left read is still going strong and is correct. So I am happy again. Its been driving me nuts.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:31 PM   #8
Atunah
Wizard

Well darn. It stopped working again. Right back to where I was. Stuck on a single digit number for time left in book and 1 minuted in time left in chapter.

It worked through a whole book and when I started a new one, 25%, it went awry again. Resetting time left only works for a few pages and then its back to the stuck minutes.

This is driving me nuts.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:49 PM   #9
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Try resetting your settings.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:23 AM   #10
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
This is driving me nuts.
There is an easy solution for your problem. Turn all progress off. And then just keep reading, reading, reading until the popup at the end of the book to rate shows up.

DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:17 AM   #11
Atunah
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Try resetting your settings.
No such thing as resetting the settings. Only to reset the time left reading which I did a gazillion times and reset the kindle. Which I also did many times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
There is an easy solution for your problem. Turn all progress off. And then just keep reading, reading, reading until the popup at the end of the book to rate shows up.

I like having something there. Just like a paperbook where I can kind of see how many pages are left, I like the same on my kindles. Just don't like to read "blind". Which is only an issue with ebooks of course. I need that visual cue.

My preferred option would be the status bar I used to have on the older kindles. It was the best thing. Next best is time left. If I had pages on these books, I would put it on that. Now all I have are locations as options, just so I can get a percentage.

I have tried almost everything I can to make this work. I don't know what they messed up with the last update, but something broke. It worked fine when I first got my Oasis.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:37 AM   #12
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have not seen any more issues with the time left since i shutdown and then restarted my Oasis after I got it and updated it to the latest firmware. I have also seen a little improvement in the battery life after it finished indexing.

By the way most days I am switching back and forth between as many as 4 books.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:38 PM   #13
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I see the problem with incorrect time on my Voyage every once in awhile. It's not happening to me as often as Attunah, but once it starts happening in a book it seems to happen multiple times. In my case, it usually seems to cut the estimated time roughly in half, but sometimes it's even more than that.

I use the ";ReadingTimeReset" search which corrects it for awhile, but it usually happens again.

I'm currently using 5.8.1.11 firmware version--but I've seen this through multiple firmware versions.

I find it an odd bug that it seems like Amazon should be able to sort out with one of their firmware updates.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:49 PM   #14
Vlash
Banned
Vlash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Vlash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Vlash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Vlash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Never worked on my Paperwhite, it always displays something weird like: 30 minutes left, when I'm 1500 pages far from the book's end.
Vlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:54 PM   #15
Atunah
Wizard

I never had any issues with it before. Worked on my Voyage, Oasis1 and I am pretty sure it worked on the O2 initially. I am on 5.9.2.0.1

Its one thing to get a wee bit out of wack, say 2 hours instead of a more correct 4 hours left in book. But it always defaults at 1 minute left in chapter and a few minutes in book. 9 minutes, 12 minutes. Once its in that position, it does not change anymore.

Any fix seems to be temporary. Might be a wee thing for most, but its important to me. I already send a thing off to feedback to the kindle folks, but who knows. I don't know how many use those settings even to notice.

If they would just give me back my progress bar, I'd be happy.