Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-24-2017, 04:17 PM   #1
tonyvella
tonyvella began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader N50
Calibre sorting

Can I sort on two levels in Calibre? Can I sort on authors and then on titles? So that if I have 20 books by Alexandre Dumas, Dumas would appear under Defoe and Dumas' books will appear in alpha order? Thanks in advance.
tonyvella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 04:25 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Yes - just click on column headers in reverse order. In other words on title and then author.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2017, 04:34 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyvella View Post
Can I sort on two levels in Calibre? Can I sort on authors and then on titles? So that if I have 20 books by Alexandre Dumas, Dumas would appear under Defoe and Dumas' books will appear in alpha order? Thanks in advance.
I believe the default is 3 (I customized my Calibre way back when , so I forget what some of the defaults are)

Cascading sorts work backwards from what you asked for. Prior sorts, Bias the next level.

Sort Title, the Author.
BTW Don't forget Quick Search. click the cursor on a field (value) you want to see the members of. Type Q

eg. series Pern
1 Click on the word Pern (in the series column): Q
Note you can click any header in Quick search to sort by that column
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 04:35 PM   #4
tonyvella

Thank you very much for your quick response. It worked like a charm. May I please ask a secondary question on the same issue:

Many titles begin with A, An, The, etc. In our library listings, Dante's The Divine Comedy appears as Divine Comedy, The. Is there a way of performing this change? Thanks again.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:43 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you very much for your quick response. It worked like a charm. May I please ask a secondary question on the same issue:

Many titles begin with A, An, The, etc. In our library listings, Dante's The Divine Comedy appears as Divine Comedy, The. Is there a way of performing this change? Thanks again.
Yes, but then it sorts under the Article, The
What you have now
is called Library Order. The flip is Strictly Alphabetical

Preferences: Tweaks: <ID: title_series_sorting>
Advert
Old 09-24-2017, 04:44 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Preferences > Tweaks > Control sorting of titles and series in the library display

There you go.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 04:52 PM   #7
tonyvella

Thanks again. I downloaded Calibre late yesterday evening and I just can't keep my hands off it. I don't think I slept 2 hours last night and at my age, 73, I need all the sleep I can get. I just love this program; I wish I had it when I first started collecting hard-covers of the literary masters. Up to last night I have been using index cards.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:59 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Thanks again. I downloaded Calibre late yesterday evening and I just can't keep my hands off it. I don't think I slept 2 hours last night and at my age, 73, I need all the sleep I can get. I just love this program; I wish I had it when I first started collecting hard-covers of the literary masters. Up to last night I have been using index cards.
You can still use it to document your Dead Tree Library. These are called 'Empty Books'

Add from ISBN (right click the ADD icon)
Set a tag eg <in paper Library>

Get a (PS2) keyboard wedge or USB barcode scanner
do small batches, resolve failures
Repeat until you hit the bottom of the pile
Old 09-24-2017, 05:42 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Another way to do manage sorting is via the View Manager plugin. A 'View' defines a) the columns displayed and their relative positions horizontally, and b) the columns used in sorting. Can be more than 3 columns, can be columns not displayed, are defined major to minor. Multiple Views can be defined and saved on a 'per library basis'.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-24-2017 at 05:46 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
sorting