Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-08-2017, 11:49 AM   #1
rjwse@aol.com
Addict
rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle epub readers on android
print pdf with "inside" margin offset

I have had great success converting EPUB to PDF using calibre, but I have a problem when supplying the file for book binding. In Page Setup you can specify all 4 margins to any size. For example, 36pts 36pts 36pts 36pts creates half inch margins all the way around. The book binder uses part of the 36 on inside margins, and text is obscured at the spine. If you compensate for this by using 72pts, then the inside text looks okay but now the outside margin is too wide. I was hoping someone could recommend a method for offsetting all odd numbered PDF margins. Would it be possible to add this to Page Setup?

top: 36pt
bottom: 36pt

odd:
left: 54pts
right: 36pts

even:
left: 36pts
right: 54pts

I have not been able to locate a utility which can do this.
Best Regards, Pop
rjwse@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:22 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I assume you want to create a print ready PDF that you can send to a printer/book binder.

I would convert the EPUB to a format readable by a word processor (e.g. MS Word or Open Office Writer) and do it there, they have the settings for gutter margins and mirrored (left and right) pages.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2017, 10:23 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's not possible to do this in calibre for technical reasons having to do with how the PDF is produced. But it can be easily done by processing the final PDF file, for example: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...ftk-or-similar
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:17 AM   #4
rjwse@aol.com
Addict
rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle epub readers on android
Thanks to all of you for your quick replies. This is a perfect solution: (1) open terminal, (2)
type in "pdfjam --twoside --offset '1cm 0cm' ~/Desktop/my.pdf" The transformation of even a large book takes only a couple of seconds. The odd and even pages have a different offset such that when viewed two pages at a time there is an extra gutter between the pages making it easy for the bindery people. Perfect solution! Many thanks, Pop
rjwse@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, margin offset, pdf margins