Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-13-2017, 06:19 AM   #1
Reader_Hiatus
Reader_Hiatus began at the beginning.

Device: none
Onyx Boox max or Sony dpt-s1. Need answers.

Hi, I remembered articles from way back, saying that Sony's Note taking, annotating,drawing and PDF reading software is more refined than Onyx's. Is this still true?

Which is the best for viewing PDF files right out the box? Without downloading third Party Apps.

and is the Onyx's Screen Size the same as Sony? Both seemed to have 13.3 inch. But I remembered some random ad in chinese showing the onyx have around 10~12 inch? Is this a mistake?

Lastly, I saw in one video, Sony dpt-s1 had a zoom function when in draw mode. it would help on having higher level of detail in our drawings. Is the Onyx able to do it too?
Reader_Hiatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:36 AM   #2
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Hello,

First, the SONY DPT-S1 is sold out. To have one you must find a second hand device.

For the PDF, the comments are very positives for the SONY. But the SONY use only the PDF format. The ONYX can use PDF, EPUB and other format and the firmware progress, too slowly maybe, but progress.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2017, 07:22 AM   #3
Reader_Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
Hello,

First, the SONY DPT-S1 is sold out. To have one you must find a second hand device.

For the PDF, the comments are very positives for the SONY. But the SONY use only the PDF format. The ONYX can use PDF, EPUB and other format and the firmware progress, too slowly maybe, but progress.
yes am planning on purchasing a second hand device. Having Support PDF only format don't bother me too much.

Is the screen size of both onyx and sony the same? without direct comparison side by side, I couldn't tell. In videos Sony seems to have a bigger screen. Maybe The Onyx's bezel is wider, making the screen seem smaller by comparison? any thoughts on this?
Old 02-13-2017, 09:02 AM   #4
cqman
Groupie
cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle DXG, Onyx Boox Max1, Max2, Nova, Hisense A5 Pro
Left: Max
Right: DPT-S1

The photo is from internet.

About "Note taking, annotating,drawing".
Before firmware 1.8.1, S1 is far better than Max; From 1.8.1, S1 is slightly better than Max.

Max don't has zoom function (two fingers on touch screen). According to feedback from S1 users, this function sometimes doesn't work smoothly.

For PDF reading, Max is way better than S1.

I'm waiting for Max 2 with new generation e-ink 13.3 screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4c390230e924b8999174173a67061d950a7bf66d_result.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	505.8 KB
ID:	154961  

Last edited by cqman; 02-13-2017 at 09:13 AM.
cqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:53 AM   #5
Reader_Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqman View Post
Left: Max
Right: DPT-S1

The photo is from internet.

About "Note taking, annotating,drawing".
Before firmware 1.8.1, S1 is far better than Max; From 1.8.1, S1 is slightly better than Max.

Max don't has zoom function (two fingers on touch screen). According to feedback from S1 users, this function sometimes doesn't work smoothly.

For PDF reading, Max is way better than S1.

I'm waiting for Max 2 with new generation e-ink 13.3 screen.
thanks so much for this! this is really really helpful! based on the picture, it seems like the sony dpt-s1 is a tiny lil bit taller(maybe not). in any case, that isn't a problem.

thanks for the information and pic! was very useful!

Advert