Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-28-2016, 11:54 AM   #1
Libron
Libron began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 5, Kobo Glo HD
Is it normal to see lights at the bottom of my Glo HD?

It's basically 5 lights coming from the lower part of Kobo, that are seen when looking at it from a upper angle. Screen also looks "dirty" (not from external dirt), even at higher light settings.

I noticed this since I bought it and I thought it's normal, but recently I've read someone complaining about having this perceptible bottom light after he wrongly reassembled his Kobo Glo. After that I've checked some video reviews of this model and they don't seem to show this lower lights. I never tried to open my e-reader, myself, so I'm wondering: is it a defect to see light coming from the lower part of the screen and does it classify for warranty replacement or is it just a normal thing?
Libron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:49 PM   #2
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Yes to some extent it is normal to see lights at the edge of your devices screen. You shouldn't see them if you're looking straight on at the page, or really most angles that would still allow for comfortable reading.

If you can clearly see the lights when comfortably reading on your Glo HD you may have an issue.

As to the 'dirty' appearance, is it a uniform grey color, or are there splotches of light and dark? If it's a uniform grey across the screen, then it's normal. If it's splotchy you may have an issue.

You could try and return it, since if these parts of your device are malfunctioning they'd likely be covered by the warranty.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2016, 04:08 PM   #3
Libron
Libron began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 5, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Yes to some extent it is normal to see lights at the edge of your devices screen. You shouldn't see them if you're looking straight on at the page, or really most angles that would still allow for comfortable reading.

If you can clearly see the lights when comfortably reading on your Glo HD you may have an issue.

As to the 'dirty' appearance, is it a uniform grey color, or are there splotches of light and dark? If it's a uniform grey across the screen, then it's normal. If it's splotchy you may have an issue.

You could try and return it, since if these parts of your device are malfunctioning they'd likely be covered by the warranty.
When I use it from a normal angle, I don't see the lights directly, but I can see small, but clear shades at the very bottom (ending at the level of footer pagination). It's not a big deal, but I wonder if it's something I should be worried about.

Dirt effect is even, it seems to be a bit more "dirty" at the lower half of the screen, but that's a small difference, more visible in bad light or from lower angles.
Libron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:31 PM   #4
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
I recall others saying the Glo HD screen had some oddness to it. I've only got an H2O to judge for Kobo, and I've had various eink Nooks over the years. However as long as the dirt look is generally uniform it's likely just the screen.

You can try to get Kobo or whoever you purchased it from to replace it, but without being able to physically examine your Glo HD I couldn't assure you that the replacement would be drastically better.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:56 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libron View Post
When I use it from a normal angle, I don't see the lights directly, but I can see small, but clear shades at the very bottom (ending at the level of footer pagination). It's not a big deal, but I wonder if it's something I should be worried about.
That's fairly normal. The lights are shining in from the bottom of the screen, so there is a little unevenness there. Yours sounds a little worse than normal, but not to much.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2016, 09:15 PM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I have 2 Glo HDs and the typical cone shading that you often see at the bottom between the LEDs, such as on the Glo, is non-existant on my Glo HDs. The screen is very even and not blotchy at all, even around the bottom lights. Yes, if I tilt the reader so I'm looking down under the bottom bezel, I'll be able to see the lights, but in a normal reading position, you shouldn't be able to see bright spots from the lights at all.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote