Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-21-2016, 07:09 PM   #1
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Children and Reading for Pleasure

Spending a few days at my brothers, I got up in the middle of the night last night when I noticed the narrow, somewhat furtive beam of a small torch coming from the loungeroom where my 10 year old niece was supposedly asleep on a mattress on the floor. I poked my head through the doorway to find that the beam was coming from a small penlight held in the hands of my wide-awake niece. I could see the dark inactive screen of her much used IPad next to her, and the black screen of the for once turned-off TV. The beam was directed at the open pages of what looked to be quite a substantial book. Something about a naughty girl. Not entirely a surprising choice for my beautiful little niece. I just hope for her parents sake she was not taking notes.

My response was a simple "Enjoy. I used to do that when I was your age!"
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:43 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Spending a few days at my brothers, I got up in the middle of the night last night when I noticed the narrow, somewhat furtive beam of a small torch coming from the loungeroom where my 10 year old niece was supposedly asleep on a mattress on the floor. I poked my head through the doorway to find that the beam was coming from a small penlight held in the hands of my wide-awake niece. I could see the dark inactive screen of her much used IPad next to her, and the black screen of the for once turned-off TV. The beam was directed at the open pages of what looked to be quite a substantial book. Something about a naughty girl. Not entirely a surprising choice for my beautiful little niece. I just hope for her parents sake she was not taking notes.

My response was a simple "Enjoy. I used to do that when I was your age!"
That brings back memories! The days that I just had to finish that book (only a few pages more! which was actually about half the book, but still ) and only went to sleep after 3 in the morning.

And I remember one particular event...
My parents were on skiing holiday and my grandparents were staying to watch over us. One night, I was (naturally) reading again, under the covers, with a torch, when my grandfather caught me. He told me to sleep, closed my door and I heard him walking downstairs again. So, me being me, I started reading again. When my grandfather opened the door again and took my torch

Sneaky grandfather had only pretended to walk down the stairs and had sneaked back to my door again to catch me in the act of not listening to him.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2016, 06:49 AM   #3
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
The good thing is that there is no need to fear for the future of reading. Despite the fact that there are so many different activities competing for Children's attention, a good book still has its place, at least for some, just as it did when we were children.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:08 AM   #4
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
I took the opportunity recently to repurpose two enTourage Pocket eDGes by gifting them to a niece and nephew who were and continue to be avid readers.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:23 PM   #5
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I fell in love with science fiction at a very early age. My parents, in keeping with 1950s norms, tried forbidding me to read SF, then tried rationing the SF, then tried insisting that I read "worthwhile" books, then actually buying me "worthwhile" books to read. It never worked while I was a kid, but I began branching out in my own good time.

When my kids started reading I was just happy they were reading! I didn't think much of some of their choices, and I monitored for "adult content" material, but they were pretty free to read what they wanted. I've never regretted it.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2016, 03:21 PM   #6
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I fell in love with science fiction at a very early age. My parents, in keeping with 1950s norms, tried forbidding me to read SF, then tried rationing the SF, then tried insisting that I read "worthwhile" books, then actually buying me "worthwhile" books to read. It never worked while I was a kid, but I began branching out in my own good time.
It's something many parents and teachers seem to forget: that reading is not only for knowledge and learning, but also for pure, plain fun. If it's not material kids shouldn't be reading, such as extreme sex and/or violence, just let them read. If they ever feel the need to read 'worthwhile books' (also known as 'The Classics"), they will. Someday.

I've only read classics in school. Then I gorged myself on fantasy for 15 years, and I'm only now branching out into classics, philosophy, science fiction, mystery and others on my own.

Quote:
When my kids started reading I was just happy they were reading! I didn't think much of some of their choices, and I monitored for "adult content" material, but they were pretty free to read what they wanted. I've never regretted it.
Exactly.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote