Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-31-2015, 01:35 PM   #1
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
What do you do with a book once finished

Hi all

Merry xmas and happy new year to you all.

I was wondering do you delete books from your ereader when you have finished them? if so all books or ones you would not re read.

Cant decide what to do with mine - most i delete but there are some i keep mmmmm

decisions decisions
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:45 PM   #2
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
When I finish a book I remove it. I always have a backup in case I decide to read it again. I never read the same book twice within a few years so it'll just be in the way.

I think of my Kindle as an ereader, not as a storage device from books. It always has my current book, a few likely next books, a book of short stories, a couple of things for reference and that's it. That makes it easy to navigate and easy to reset to factory defaults, which I do about every year just to keep it fresh.

Even though this doesn't seem to affect the Kindle's weight, at least according to my scale, it seems lighter with fewer books and I trust that. A lighter Kindle is a better Kindle.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2015, 01:51 PM   #3
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
Thanks Barry, i have a couple of 'backups i will keep' on there but i think i will delete ones that i have just read. I have all my books in ADE and on Calibre and 2 back ups have about 2k books on my reader lol
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:52 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
That makes it easy to navigate and easy to reset to factory defaults, which I do about every year just to keep it fresh.
I'm a big fan of factory resets too. Something warm and fuzzy about them. But I do it like every other month!

I don't delete books when I finish them, but I do frequently "clean house" on my devices on a regular basis, so there's rarely more than a handful of books on it at any given time. My library stays in calibre and its backups.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-31-2015 at 01:56 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:21 PM   #5
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Since pretty much all my books are in the kindle cloud, even those I get from other places, I just take it off the device and it resides in the cloud. I don't keep read books on my device, only unread and not all of those since its so easy to just tap and bring them in. I do have a bunch of collections and one called "read" which everything I finish goes into.

I don't re-read a lot but if I want to, I just find it in the cloud and download it again.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2015, 02:50 PM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I delete books as soon as I've read them. My doohickeys just have to-read and currently reading books on them. And at that, it's only a fraction of my to-reads. I have about ten different reading classifications in my Calibre library and I generally have about 250 books in the top category on my reader. The rest can sit in Calibre until I shake things up, as I'm about to do for the New Year.

That's at least two years' reading and I don't see the point of loading more books onto a device, just because I can. Even with lots of shelves, it would become too much to scroll through when I'm looking for a next read. And while I could load another hundred or more books of equal appeal, eventually I'd get to the point where the books I was adding were somewhat to significantly less appealing than the ones already there, so what's the point?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:53 PM   #7
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I like to keep all of my library, including read books, on my device -- being able to do that is one of the major benefits of an ereader to me. The only books I delete are the ones that were so bad that I don't want to be reminded of them, which is not many.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:07 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
KEEP
Even the ones I hated and stopped reading (I have a special 'read' date for those). How else would I remember not to buy again.

I have plastic crates of paperbacks, Analog Magazines in the storeroom
I also have some Stamps and Coins (just not the really valuable ones ), So why not books
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:18 PM   #9
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Well, I'd say "keep". I read a lot of series, so it's handy to have earlier books in case I need to search out something that's mentioned in a newer book.

But I also tend to buy a new reader about every 18 months (no impulse control!)....so I tend to "start fresh" every year or so anyway.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:35 PM   #10
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I keep all of my books on my eReader. I like to reread books and never know what I might be in the mood to read at a later date.
I also still have all of my DT Books. I have a large walk in closet that I converted to a library. There are book cases on every wall and the ones with paperbacks are double and triple filled. I even have books filling the space between the top of the books and the bottom of the shelves. I also have bookcases in my office. My spare bedroom closet has bookshelves full of books in them. The master bedroom has a bookshelf. The upper shelf in the walk in closet, that we use as a closet, has books on the top shelf. I do not have any books in my son's room.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:39 PM   #11
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
When I finish a book I remove it. I always have a backup in case I decide to read it again. I never read the same book twice within a few years so it'll just be in the way.

I think of my Kindle as an ereader, not as a storage device from books. It always has my current book, a few likely next books, a book of short stories, a couple of things for reference and that's it. That makes it easy to navigate and easy to reset to factory defaults, which I do about every year just to keep it fresh.

Even though this doesn't seem to affect the Kindle's weight, at least according to my scale, it seems lighter with fewer books and I trust that. A lighter Kindle is a better Kindle.

Barry
Barry I agree with you and I do the same. Over the years I have read some books many times others I never get back too.
cvkemp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:56 PM   #12
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I like to keep all of my library, including read books, on my device -- being able to do that is one of the major benefits of an ereader to me. The only books I delete are the ones that were so bad that I don't want to be reminded of them, which is not many.
ME 2

Tho I am thinking about Going back to Factory with the Fire Phone. So much like Movies & Audibles I watch & delete only re- Down load when I want to watch again.

But really what are the Pros & Cons of going back to Factory? I do use an app on the Phone called Clean Sweep.

Last edited by Barbara1955; 12-31-2015 at 04:00 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:09 PM   #13
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
If I want to reread it, I change it to a different shelf. If I'm not going to reread it, I delete it from my device and the calibre library where I keep the books I have at the device.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:16 PM   #14
Bob B
Connoisseur
Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I rarely reread books so when I am finished with a book I delete it from the Kindle and send it back to the cloud. The exceptions are a few (I think six right now) reference books I keep on the Kindle for future use.
Bob B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:22 PM   #15
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I keep everything. I've got them all archived for long-term storage, but I also have a 4GB card in my primary ereader and (so far) everything I've got is right there. I never know when (or what) I'm going to want to reread.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote