Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-28-2015, 06:29 AM   #1
polli
Zealot
polli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Touch, LG G Pad. Asus 7.0
Android Tablet - Adding EBooks to External SD Card to read through Aldiko?

Is it possible to add eBooks to an External SD Card on an Android Tablet - to read through Aldiko?

I know I can put them on the External SD to import then in. But Aldiko creates a copy of them all on my tablet memory and it is getting very full!

Was hoping there was some way I could get Aldiko to just read them on the External SD.
I have gone into my Apps & tapped Aldiko move to SD Card. But that doesn't seem to move any books.
polli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:10 AM   #2
polli
Zealot
polli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enough

Question

Can anyone help please?
Advert
Old 12-04-2015, 11:02 AM   #3
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
If your device is rooted and you have a recent enough version of Android, you can try using "Link2SD". The app itself is pretty easy to use, but it requires that your SD Card be formatted in a specific way. It's fairly straightforward if you know how to manage partitions with Linux, but a Google search found several tutorials like this one that can be accomplished with downloadable Windows tools.

If you haven't, you may want to try Mantano reader. I originally used Aldiko as my Android ereader app, but switched to Mantano because it doesn't make copies of books that it imports. Both are based on Adobe's rendering engine, so look and feel are quite siimilar.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 04:06 AM   #4
polli
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
If your device is rooted and you have a recent enough version of Android, you can try using "Link2SD". The app itself is pretty easy to use, but it requires that your SD Card be formatted in a specific way. It's fairly straightforward if you know how to manage partitions with Linux, but a Google search found several tutorials like this one that can be accomplished with downloadable Windows tools.

If you haven't, you may want to try Mantano reader. I originally used Aldiko as my Android ereader app, but switched to Mantano because it doesn't make copies of books that it imports. Both are based on Adobe's rendering engine, so look and feel are quite siimilar.
Have not rooted but thanks I will try Mantano then.
So what do I do leave my ebooks on my External SD Card till read? And it wont add them to my phone memory at all?
Old 12-05-2015, 11:27 AM   #5
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by polli View Post
Have not rooted but thanks I will try Mantano then.
So what do I do leave my ebooks on my External SD Card till read? And it wont add them to my phone memory at all?
That's right. You can keep your books anywhere you want on the tablet, onboard or on an SD Card. Tell Mantano which folders you want it to search and then select the import icon. The books will be listed in its library like they are in Aldiko, but they will stay in their original locations. If you remove books you've finished reading, select the import icon again and Mantano will remove them from its library list.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2015, 01:46 PM   #6
polli
Zealot

Hi tried Mantano but not impresed. It has a very stark interface and cant find a way to change the fonts. And keep getting pop ups.
Think i am too used to aldiko.
But it cant keep my books on external though. Is that the only reader that does?
Old 12-08-2015, 07:08 PM   #7
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I'm looking at the same question on a new MOTO E phone I just got. I'm completely new to Android, so I don't even know yet if the following readers are copying my books off my mSD card or reading them in place. But I've been advised that people like PocketBook reader and I am also trying out Ebook Reader.

(a) Have you tried either, and (b) do you know if they copy the books or just leave them in place?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 03:49 PM   #8
Quincunx
Quincunx knows who John Galt is.Quincunx knows who John Galt is.Quincunx knows who John Galt is.Quincunx knows who John Galt is.Quincunx knows who John Galt is.Quincunx knows who John Galt is.Quincunx knows who John Galt is.Quincunx knows who John Galt is.Quincunx knows who John Galt is.Quincunx knows who John Galt is.Quincunx knows who John Galt is.

Device: Several Android devices, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-505
from Aldiko Customer Support current webpage:

Quote:
Are eBooks saved in external storage or internal storage?

Aldiko posted this on June 26, 2012, 23:01

Our design for the Aldiko Book Reader is to store books in external storage. The application will tell the device to save books in external storage. However, it will depend on how the device defining external storage. We have noticed that some devices set aside part of the internal memory as external storage purpose. In this case, even the Aldiko Book Reader asks the device to save books in external storage, books will still be saved in the part of internal memory that serves as external storage purpose.

Currently, there's no way to change the storing location of books manually. However, we will consider enabling changing book storing location in the future updates.
Code:
https://aldiko.zendesk.com/entries/21646947-Are-eBooks-saved-in-external-storage-or-internal-storage-
Quincunx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 04:59 PM   #9
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
[QUOTE=polli;3218872]Hi tried Mantano but not impresed. It has a very stark interface and cant find a way to change the fonts

The font selection is under Theme - Edit Default theme. Mantano may then download a font pack if not already installed. Choose a different font, then touch outside of that font selection box, then touch OK to apply your changes. I find even the Free version of Mantano fully featured enough for me. Hope that helps!
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:51 PM   #10
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Using ES File Explorer I can open ebooks on my SD card and choose to load them into either Overdrive or Aldiko, but I usually save them on Dropbox and load them from there. (This is with a Kobo Vox.) However the last 2 versions of Aldiko are really buggy and crash if you try to do much more than read, so if it doesn't improve, it's gone.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:10 PM   #11
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I use Moon+ reader on Android and it handles books on micro SD cards just fine.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote