Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-09-2015, 07:45 PM   #1
Vinicius
Vinicius began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 7rd generation
Kindle 7th generation

Hello , first of all apologize for my English and congratulations for the site . Bought a 7th generation kindle and would like to know if there is a way to install koreader or other means so that I can read pdf mathematical articles, because the converters that are distorting the equations. I saw videos where this is possible , but no explanation of how . Thank you !!
Vinicius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:13 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Yes, you can install KOReader -- but you will need to jailbreak, and on new devices that requires hardware modding.

There is a sticky thread with more details.

P.S. -- Kindle Serial Numbers
I believe you refer to the device we call the KT2.

Last edited by eschwartz; 07-09-2015 at 08:16 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2015, 08:37 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
The PW3 is also being marketed as the: "7th generation Paperwhite"

So, yup, check the first four characters against that chart - then we will all know what we are talking about.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:48 AM   #4
Vinicius

Thank you for responding so quickly . sorry but I forgot to add these so important information , my version of FW 5.6.2.1 and serial starts at 90C6
Old 07-10-2015, 02:59 AM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinicius View Post
Bought a 7th generation kindle and would like to know if there is a way to install koreader or other means so that I can read pdf mathematical articles, because the converters that are distorting the equations.
If you lack the technical skills for a hardware jailbreak, check out K2pdfopt, which will reformat .pdf files for eInk Kindles. (AFAIK, parts of the k2pdfopt code are also used by KOReader when reflow mode is activated.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2015, 07:54 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinicius View Post
Thank you for responding so quickly . sorry but I forgot to add these so important information , my version of FW 5.6.2.1 and serial starts at 90C6
So please change your info box to: KT-2

Our nicknames here uniquely identify a model, Amazon sells more than one Kindle as a "7th generation" Kindle.

- - - -

Now that is over with, for "HowTo" on installing the connection to the serial port and on installing the jail break using the serial port -
Use any of the PW-1, PW-2, PW-3, KT-2 or KV write-ups.
The only difference will be the physical location of the connection point on the mother board.

For that information on your device, see my: "KT2 Exposed" thread - lots of pictures there (also of the PW2).
To do that -
Select "KT2" in the prefixes drop down box, then click the 'show threads' button.
(Which is one of the reasons we have our own nicknames.)

Once you have installed the jail break, you can install KUAL (menu) and KOreader.
Your PDF reading problems should be over with.

Note: if KUAL doesn't run on your firmware version, let us know and we can tell you how to downgrade it - once we find a safe place on the 'net to post the Amazon install files.

Note: Amazon distributes **all except** the initial factory install update files.
We could, if the need arises, distribute the **initial** update files.

Last edited by knc1; 07-10-2015 at 08:13 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:13 AM   #7
Vinicius

Thank you for your help , I installed K2pdfopt and could convert all mathematical articles the way I wanted. The help you benefited an entire class of academics , thank you !!