Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-21-2015, 01:17 AM   #1
eturgeon
Enthusiast
eturgeon began at the beginning.

Device: sony ereader
PaperLike: 13.3″ E Ink, a fake?

I have been searching endlessly for a e-ink device that could be used as a PC monitor. I found the paperlike.

There is something weird about this item:

http://quibb.com/links/13-3-e-ink-mo...ch-videos/view

Is it just me, or this device is just 10 years ahead of any e-ink reader in term of refresh speed? I hesitated from buying the Onyx m96, because even though it has a "A2 quick refresh mode", I read somewhere that this mode may be problematic, and ugly, etc. So I'm not sure I can use it as a monitor.

But I looked at the paperlike from dasung, and it doesn't look ugly to me at all. It doesn't look black & white only either: there are levels of grays, if I'm not wrong. So is it really a A2-refresh-speed? I tried to buy the monitor directly from dasung, but they don't sell outside of China.
eturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:55 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
It's real:
http://the-digital-reader.com/2015/0...es-2015-video/
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2015, 10:34 AM   #3
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
As forum member Phogg explained in "DaSung Second Screen 13.3" E-ink Monitor" thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=Dasung&page=2

"The big bottleneck in screen refresh is the controller, not the e-ink screen itself. E-ink demonstrated video capability years ago.

Book readers focus on power saving measures to help achieve long battery life. A diametrically opposed goal if you want video."

http://www.e-ink-info.com/6-e-ink-pe...cale-imx50-evk
http://www.e-ink-info.com/project-vi...-ink-prototype

Last edited by markom; 03-21-2015 at 10:57 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:51 PM   #4
eturgeon
Enthusiast

I read that in order to have a fast refresh rate, the "A2 mode" was necessary, which is way more limited. But you are saying that a e-ink powered with, let's say USB, could get a 10fps with 16 levels of gray? I didn't know it depended on power.

I'd love to have that. Does anyone know for sure a device I could buy that would work at this speed? I'm ready to put all the money that is necessary. [Edited - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-23-2015 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:54 PM   #5
eturgeon
Enthusiast

http://www.e-ink-info.com/6-e-ink-pe...cale-imx50-evk

WOW! this is crazy fast!

I was just able to watch that video, since I was not able to use a LCD screen for days.

I need that!
Advert
Old 03-22-2015, 04:03 PM   #6
eturgeon
Enthusiast

http://www.pervasivedisplays.com/products/102

Pervasivedisplays offers a 10'' display, and it looks very easy for a programmer to use, basically you just put images in a folder. However, I'm not sure about the speed. I would be surprised if this could achieve a similar speed as the sample from freescale, or even a 5fps.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:51 PM   #7
HarryHutton
Connoisseur
HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Voyage, Samsung Note 10.1, Nook Simple Touch, M92
According to the E-Ink Pearl datasheet (Link: http://www.eink.com/sell_sheets/pearl_spec_sheet.pdf) refresh times are between 120 msec (1 bit) to 450 msec (4 bit) which gives a max refresh rate of 8Hz

I could have sworn I recently seen one giving figures of between 4Hz and 20Hz, but can't for the life of me find it again...

There's a 2011 video of an 8Hz E-Ink display in action here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DVlGZ3_d3Q

A hacked Sony Prs-1 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXYHvYo5LEE#t=31

And video on E-Ink using the Freescale IMX50 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dffqB9PfKY

What kind of features do you think these speeds could enable?
HarryHutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:55 PM   #8
eturgeon
Enthusiast

I desperately need this speed for an e-paper monitor. Basically, I'm a programmer who spend 50h/a week on a PC... who also wishes to never look at an LCD screen again. Looking at monitor is killing me. I've been searching for a solution for years.

Last edited by eturgeon; 04-02-2015 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:58 PM   #9
eturgeon
Enthusiast

120 ms is the refresh rate in black/white mode (the A2 mode). I just bought a Onyx m96 which provide a nice toggle to enable A2 mode. So I spent 500$ just to try this feature. The result is ugly and pretty slow. I guess the slow part depends on many factors, like the software that I'm using. But the uglyness, can't get around it I suppose, because it's bound to be black and white (no grey).

So what I don't understand, is how the hell can they do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dffqB9PfKY

this is not 1 bit black and white. This is 4 bits.

Last edited by eturgeon; 04-02-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:15 PM   #10
eturgeon
Enthusiast

"The big bottleneck in screen refresh is the controller, not the e-ink screen itself. E-ink demonstrated video capability years ago."

any way to buy a fast controller, for the largest possible display?
Old 04-03-2015, 05:27 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by eturgeon View Post
I desperately need this speed for an e-paper monitor. Basically, I'm a programmer who spend 50h/a week on a PC... who also wishes to never look at an LCD screen again. Looking at monitor is killing me. I've been searching for a solution for years.
Have you seen an optician? If using an LCD monitor is "killing you" it sounds as if you have an eye problem which needs attention. I too sit in front of an LCD monitor for 50+ hours a week, but wearing the correct glasses makes it comfortable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:41 AM   #12
eturgeon
Enthusiast

yeah, I tried everything. 2 docs (my eyes are perfect), differents settings; different monitors, different glasses (anti-blue-light), different filters, etc..

I get headaches. I can tolerate LCD only with extremely low lights. And even that, I tend to get headaches each day after a certain amount of hours.

I know 50 hours a week is nothing. Technically, I did more than 70 and even 80, if I count hours at home. Everyone around me do at least 60 hours. I perfectly know that 99% feel no strain watching at tv/LCD all day. I have a specific condition that is related to the "computer vision syndrome", however I can't find testimonies of people having the same exact problem. Basically it's related to light I think. Yesterday I bought a LED cable and spent time installing it. At the end of the evening, the simple exposure to the cable during the installation gave me a headache, although I had tried never to look at it directly.

Last edited by eturgeon; 04-03-2015 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:44 AM   #13
eturgeon
Enthusiast

So e-paper is like paradise to me. I use my 6 inch Sony Reader PRS-T2 to browse the web. Can you imagine that? how slow and frustrating it can get? well Actually no: because with e-paper I get no headaches whatsoever, so to me it's no frustration.

I'd be happy if I only had to use a browser for my job. But unfortunately, to be efficient at work, I need a better refresh rate, because I have to type, move the cursor, etc.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:32 AM   #14
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
A lot of us want an e-ink screen to rest our eyes from LCD monitors. You are not alone. Try to use programs that allow you to have a dark background.

Re: A2 refresh-mode, I use it on a Nook ST. It's monochrome and its fine for browsing and reading pdfs (basically text-based activities). Make sure you get a device that supports A2. For me, I think I need a screen about a 14".

Consider getting a Boyue or an Onyx to browse and read on. It will help you get away from the LCD screen. But you have to be willing to compromize with these devices. Edit: I see you have a Sony. You can root it and install A2. But the Nook ST is a better e-ink tablet. The Boyue looks nice and they recently released a new version. You can get it for not too much on bangood. There was a recent review on the-digital-reader.com

You could get one of the larger Onyx devices and maybe couple it up to your computer. That's too small for me though. Make sure it has a decent A2 mode. Personally, I want a Damsung.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:39 AM   #15
eturgeon
Enthusiast

Re: A2 refresh-mode, I just bought the Onyx m96 9.7 inch. The A2 mode is awful when I tried it in the browser. Text and images are very ugly on it. And the weird thing is, when I scroll a page, it's not even faster than the normal mode: I still get the very ugly ink-splashing effect that last for 1 second after I release the drag. I tend to avoid scrolling altogether. Maybe it's better on other Onyx devices, but on the m96 it's no good.

RE: Personally, I want a Dasung. You bet! I'm doing all I can to get one, even offering them (and proxies) hundreds of dollars if they can get me one. I'd be willing to pay 2000$, 3000$, maybe more to get one.