Brand new paperback at $8.49 2 3.70%
Used paperback at $3.99 16 29.63%
I don't buy ebooks 3 5.56%
I don't read--why am I here? 1 1.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2015, 01:40 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Why is backlist so expensive?

I am running low on one of my favorite authors, so I went on Amazon to see what else was on her backlist. First I looked at Kindle books--7.99! Used paperback is $3.99. Since I am buying 10 books, that is real money to me. Guess I will have to dig out my book light.

Why do they do that? Neither the author nor the publisher is getting any money when I buy a used book. You would think they would incent me to buy the electronic version.

If ebooks are not doing well, why price them so high? And if they are doing well, why price them so high? A 15 year-old romance is not worth $7.99. Actually, it is not worth $3.99, but it sends me off to sleep with happy thoughts.

Last edited by Sydney's Mom; 03-20-2015 at 12:29 AM.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:53 PM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
If it was really my favorite author, I'd bite the bullet and buy the Kindle version for $7.99. I usually have most paperbacks of my favorite author though, which means I could scan it for myself, but the time involved to make a clean copy is worth the $8.

Of course I've bought quite a few older books like that thinking I'd save the time, and the quality is as if someone just scanned, ran a quick OCR, did no proofing and didn't bother with cleaning up any formatting, and considered that to be retail quality. So I still end up doing heavy editing, but at least it saved me the scanning time.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 03-18-2015 at 05:31 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2015, 01:53 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
The ebook shouldn't cost more than the paperback; it should be cheaper.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:09 PM   #4
AkiraReader
Connoisseur
AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox, Kindles
On half the Cussler novels, I can either:

- Get a brand new book, shipped cheaper than the Kindle version
- Get a used Audio CD, shipped cheaper than the Kindle version
AkiraReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:14 PM   #5
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I'd wait for a sale, or a large couponable event at Kobo if it applied. I will not pay higher prices for backlist, it feels like extortion.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2015, 02:18 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I simply don't care how the price of an ebook compares to the price of the same title in a format I don't want to buy. New or old; $7.99 is squarely in my comfort zone for an ebook purchase (especially one I'm almost guaranteed to enjoy -- being by a favorite author).

I can't order a $3.99 used paperback online and begin reading it 30 seconds later.The ability to be able to do just that is quite valuable to me. *shrug*

So I guess the answer to, "Why is backlist (ebook) so expensive?" is ... "me." And others like me.

Sorry.

OK, not really. But I promise I'm quite frugal wihen it comes to food and clothing.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-18-2015 at 02:24 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:43 PM   #7
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
What are you complaining about? Your own poll shows that the ebook is cheaper then a paperback. You can't compare it to used book prices. Else you might as well complain that paper books are too expensive since you can get pirated ebooks for free.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:12 PM   #8
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abtacha View Post
What are you complaining about? Your own poll shows that the ebook is cheaper then a paperback. You can't compare it to used book prices. Else you might as well complain that paper books are too expensive since you can get pirated ebooks for free.
True. This is an author I like, not one I love (bought Harper Lee's upcoming novel in Kindle and hardcover), and I consider her books like used books. I will read it once, and then delete it. A brand new book I would buy at $7.99 in a heartbeat. But something 15 years old? A lot of those aren't even available in new paperback.

Just seems too pricey for me. If I went to Books-A-Million, I could probably find it for a quarter, but it isn't worth it. Three of them will be here Friday, and one was only 10 cents cheaper than the kindle version, so I have one to read tonight.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:17 PM   #9
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
For me the satisfaction I once had of owning a large collection of books on paper did not carry over to e-books. There is less fun in collecting non-transferable, limited licenses to read instead of tangible objects. So I make use of libraries and lending services when possible and they tend to have a good selection of backlist titles with little or no wait.

Last edited by jhowell; 03-18-2015 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Typo
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:28 PM   #10
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Why do you say that neither author or publisher is making money on it? A publisher would not be publishing it if they were not making money on it. And the authot, or his/her estate will make money, too, normally, depending on their contract.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:33 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Why do you say that neither author or publisher is making money on it? A publisher would not be publishing it if they were not making money on it. And the authot, or his/her estate will make money, too, normally, depending on their contract.
Pretty sure they meant neither the author or publisher made any money off THEM. Because they, you know, opted to go the used pbook route instead?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:45 PM   #12
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I'd wait for it to go on sale, or get it from the library. If neither of those worked out...., I'd continue to wait for it to go on sale. Plenty more books to read in the meantime.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:52 PM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
You missed an option: Not buy it until it was on special offer. $3/£2 is about my limit for backlist titles.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:12 PM   #14
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
You missed an option: Not buy it until it was on special offer. $3/£2 is about my limit for backlist titles.
That would be my answer to but no such option. I can't read paperbacks anymore as the font is just to small and often with back list titles the books are older and used and yellowed. Just very hard for me to read now.
I am all ebooks now.

I too have a few favorite authors that have back lists out that are over my price limit for older titles. Mary Balogh is one of those. So as much as I love the author, the books aren't new so besides not wanting to pay new book prices, I already waited as it is so a little longer wait isn't going to kill me. I put them on the price watch list on ereaderiq and hopefully get an email with a price reduction at some point.
I do have a different upper limit for brand new releases and back list titles in my budget.

So I will not buy a used or newish paperback, I will wait until the kindle version is lowered in price. Then I buy it. It'll still be the same back list title a year from now.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:33 PM   #15
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
This is why I did not make a choice on the poll.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote