Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-16-2015, 03:01 PM   #1
coolVariable
coolVariable began at the beginning.

Device: first @ $150!
Calibre Cover Image on Kindle

For some reason, I cannot get cover images to stick to ebooks for my Kindle.

1. Take the original file (e.g. text file, but could be anything)
2. Add a cover image
3. Convert the file to a Kindle format (I prefer .mobi but I also tried .azw3)
4. Access Calibre library from Kindle via built in calibre server
5. Download ebook (tried .mobi and .azw3)
6. No cover image on the home screen ...

WTF?

Last edited by coolVariable; 02-16-2015 at 03:07 PM.
coolVariable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:06 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Try loading from Calibre via USB instead.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2015, 02:02 AM   #3
coolVariable
coolVariable began at the beginning.

Device: first @ $150!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Try loading from Calibre via USB instead.
Will try, but why would that make a difference?
Isn't the cover image embedded in the mobi file?
coolVariable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:18 AM   #4
mattyb
mattyb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 2
I'd like to know why this is, too. I like being accessing my daily newspapers via wifi/calibre server on my Kindle Paperwhite, without having to plug it in via USB.

Anyone know if it's possible to get Kindle to display the covers properly when a MOBI file is downloaded from the server?

Thanks!
Matt
mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:37 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolVariable View Post
Will try, but why would that make a difference?
Isn't the cover image embedded in the mobi file?
It is, and that's the one that's displayed when you display the cover from within a book. The cover that's display on the home page, though, is stored in a separate cache, and will normally only be present when a book is downloaded from Amazon: sideloaded content gets a "generic" cover. When you load via USB, Calibre sends a separate cover image to the cover cache, hence it shows up.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2015, 10:03 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....droid-ipad-etc
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:12 PM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
No clue about this BUT Has anyone noticed you buy a book from Amazon by the time it Downloaded via Wifi or 3G the Covers Vanish! Annoying!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote