Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-12-2015, 06:48 PM   #1
esfandiyar2002
Enthusiast
esfandiyar2002 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max
Choosing large screen ereader

There are not much big brothers in ereaders..Say,just a few in 9 inch group(Aside from 13.3 inch of course!):

Icarus Excel

Onyx M96/M96C

Hanvon E930/920

Pocketbook 912

Kindle DX Graphite

HanLin eBook A9

Asus DR900

Pixelar MReader 9

Now,the big question: Which is the preferable in regards to(Solely):

-Supporting more popular ebook formats,
-Better reading quality experience for at least non stop several hours?
(Suppose college student with tons of ebooks and lots of time to full time study!)
-Better landscape reading quality(Rotation!)

Less important:

-Highlighting!
-front light!
-Writing!
-Cost
-Being able to buy in Canada!

Not important:

-Music listening!
-Web surfing!
-Shopping ebooks!

I know some may out of date..No idea on Irex at all.
13.3 is more preferable,but as for student budget,it's huge expensive!
Waiting to hear professional users' comments on them,thanks in advance.
esfandiyar2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:30 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by esfandiyar2002 View Post
Now,the big question: Which is the preferable in regards to(Solely):

-Supporting more popular ebook formats,
Can't help on comparing these devices, but you might want to specify what "popular ebook formats" you're interested in. Since you are a student you are maybe including PDF in this and most people here wouldn't consider it a popular ebook format so if you want that specify it separately.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2015, 04:01 PM   #3
esfandiyar2002
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Can't help on comparing these devices, but you might want to specify what "popular ebook formats" you're interested in.
I believe the most supported formats are covered with Onyxbooks and Pocketbooks..The more,the better..Some of my reference books are in CHM formats,while others are in DJVU.Some are in PDF formats.

I need something to have a better resolution with very good given reading quality for spending at least ten hours daily heavy reading task without blinking the eyes!Smaller sizes like Kobo,Amazon, and the like have not that far long term reading criteria..I have seen people mostly spend one hour for killing the time while they are in bus commuting! So even 5 inch may work well!

I have never seen in the reviews that people say:"Yes!this is the device that I can devote myself for professional reading!"
Old 02-13-2015, 07:58 PM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
I believe the most supported formats are covered with Onyxbooks and Pocketbooks..The more,the better..Some of my reference books are in CHM formats,while others are in DJVU.Some are in PDF formats.
This is why I asked the question. CHM and DJVU are not what would be called "popular" formats around here and finding a device that will read them natively puts you into a much smaller range of possible devices.

PDF's are a whole different thread full of arguments of suitability of any e-ink device for reading them , but critical to include as a desired format if you're asking about a device.

Last edited by robko; 02-13-2015 at 08:01 PM.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:20 PM   #5
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Get an open Android device. Then you lots of software choices to read all formats and do things like highlight etc too. The big Onyx looks like a good fit for you. I think they can be ordered direct from Chinese website to Canada.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2015, 09:56 AM   #6
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
I agree with Rizla: based on your requirements, the most versatile choice currently is the Onyx Boox M96 (if you need handwriting support) or M96C (if you don't need handwriting but need touch support).
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 03:07 PM   #7
esfandiyar2002
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
I agree with Rizla: based on your requirements, the most versatile choice currently is the Onyx Boox M96 (if you need handwriting support) or M96C (if you don't need handwriting but need touch support).
Oh,thanks.But what about your newly arrived Hanvon E930?
Doesn't it knock out Onyx Boox M96 in every aspect?
Old 02-16-2015, 02:39 AM   #8
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh,thanks.But what about your newly arrived Hanvon E930?
Doesn't it knock out Onyx Boox M96 in every aspect?
The E930 has a frontlight and sound recording. Also - based on user accounts - it may handle handwriting a bit better than the M96.
In all other aspects, the M96 seems to be more versatile as you can install a variety of third-party apps to do whatever you want to do.
It is also better supported in Europe - I have yet to hear anything back from Hanvon, despite several queries (re. my previous Hanvon device).

Last edited by Jmirko; 02-16-2015 at 02:41 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:51 AM   #9
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
This is why I asked the question. CHM and DJVU are not what would be called "popular" formats around here and finding a device that will read them natively puts you into a much smaller range of possible devices.

PDF's are a whole different thread full of arguments of suitability of any e-ink device for reading them , but critical to include as a desired format if you're asking about a device.
There is KOReader (KPV Kindlepdfviewer version for older readers) that can be quickly installed on Kindles and Kobos or 8" Pocketbook inkpad with frontlight.

It is very good reader for pdf, djvu, epub(non-drm), chm, cbz, html ...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209276

So, whoever can still lay his hands on a cheap Kindle DX, should take five minutes to install KPV thereon and enjoy reading A4 pdfs, djvus, epubs on 10" e-ink Kindle.

Last edited by markom; 02-16-2015 at 10:47 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:41 PM   #10
aswang
aswang doesn't litteraswang doesn't litteraswang doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox M96C
M96c

Just got my M96c. Its a very good all around reader for books, PDFs, mail, notes (evernote), rss (feedly, greader), documents(wps, google docs) and even maps (tried with locus using my phone as bluetooth gps). You can even attach bluetooth keyboard for faster text input. Install Calibre companion and youve got a powerful management system for your books. The touchscreen is not the most responsive and accurate making highlighting and annotating a chore. Capacitive stylii are a no go. Ive tried with lots of types including a jot mini and it barely recognizes their input. If this a priority I would suggest the stylus version.

Last edited by aswang; 02-17-2015 at 08:43 PM.
aswang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:12 AM   #11
Jmirko
Recovered collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswang View Post
Just got my M96c. Its a very good all around reader for books, PDFs, mail, notes (evernote), rss (feedly, greader), documents(wps, google docs) and even maps (tried with locus using my phone as bluetooth gps). You can even attach bluetooth keyboard for faster text input. Install Calibre companion and youve got a powerful management system for your books. The touchscreen is not the most responsive and accurate making highlighting and annotating a chore. Capacitive stylii are a no go. Ive tried with lots of types including a jot mini and it barely recognizes their input. If this a priority I would suggest the stylus version.
Thanks, aswang. Very useful info.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:32 AM   #12
esfandiyar2002
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswang View Post
Just got my M96c. .
Thanks for the fast impressive review.May I ask you where did you get that from?
Old 02-23-2015, 10:50 AM   #13
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Do the Onyx devices come with a monochrome no-refresh "A2" mode out of the box? If so, is it stable and easy to turn on and off?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:15 AM   #14
aswang
aswang doesn't litteraswang doesn't litteraswang doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox M96C
Got my m96c from booxtor via UPS since I needed a large screen pdf reader badly and booxtor seem to have better support. It does have A2 mode accessible via the notifications bar which is always visible on the top of the screen. Its easy enough to turn on and off. The A2 mode combined with the force refresh button is quite handy. It also has contrast adjustment to make text darker and a lot easier to read.

It's my favorite device at the moment. My favorite e reader by far. So far the only gripe I have with it is the battery life which only lasts me two or three days with the never shutdown setting sleep at 5 mins inactivity but I do use wifi a lot. Also, Cell standby eats between 40 to 60 percent according to battery stats even with airplane mode on. Today I just rooted the device to rename the phone.apk and TelephonyProvider.apk which seem to remove this from the battery stats but I'm not sure yet whether it improves the battery life.
aswang is offline   Reply With Quote