Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-12-2015, 11:03 AM   #1
rrrvxi
rrrvxi began at the beginning.

Device: KP2
How to jailbreak 5.6.1.0.2 (serial port) step by step

Hello everyone, I just decided to jailbreak my kindle paper white 2 (Japanese version 2013, 4gb; originally shipped with firmware 5.4.3.2 but amazon updated silently to 5.6.1.0.2), hopefully I'll get some advice from experts or any user that already did it. So far what I know is that I should follow the next steps:

1. Open the device (no problem here)

2. Identify the serial port (I believe there are 3 pins here. A. Ground, B. RX, C. TX (any pics of the PW2??? I saw this but apparently it's from PW1, they are both the same? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...8&d=1352503423

3. Do some soldering, no problem, but in this step I'm stuck. From the 3 pins mentioned, I have to solder to the pins of a serial port adapter right? which one should I use?

4. Connect the adapter to a computer running Linux, but then what? Which software should I use? what commands I have to put in? I read somewhere that there is a script or something like that, but do I run it and where?

I have an HD camera, time, and willing to do a guide to jailbreak kindles with the 5.6.1.0.2 firmware, all I need is a little help to get the right directions. I have experience in soldering and opening devices, so no problem there. The problem is that I'm lost in regard of what adapter should I buy and how to use Linux in order to jailbreak, which files and how to put them on the kindle, etc?

I hope someone there can help, and maybe this will be a future guide to do a step by step with pictures and videos to how to jailbreak you kindle with the 5.6.X.

rrrvxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:30 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Once you have a console shell over the serial interface, simply unpack the usual jailbreak the usual way. But instead of using Update Your Kindle, you are running the jb.sh from the serial shell.

This guy did it on the KT2: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247480

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-12-2015 at 11:35 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2015, 01:40 PM   #3
rrrvxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Once you have a console shell over the serial interface, simply unpack the usual jailbreak the usual way. But instead of using Update Your Kindle, you are running the jb.sh from the serial shell.

This guy did it on the KT2: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247480
Thanks for the fast reply. I believe I'm more on the noob side. Lets say that I successfully opened the device and solder the proper wires from KP2 MOBO to the serial port adapter, then I have my laptop running Linux with Ubuntu (will this work?), what should I do now? My intuition says something like this:

1. Connect the device to a USB port
2. Open a shell console???
3. Write some code, but I don't know what.

I've be happy to read and learn, but I cannot find some basic info about this, for example, how do I run the jb.sh from the serial shell???

I really don't have any idea how to go forward at the point where I connect the MOBO to USB.

Sorry because the probably obvious questions for experts that may think, but I'm new to this, specially on Linux.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:04 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrvxi View Post
Thanks for the fast reply. I believe I'm more on the noob side. Lets say that I successfully opened the device and solder the proper wires from KP2 MOBO to the serial port adapter, then I have my laptop running Linux with Ubuntu (will this work?), what should I do now? My intuition says something like this:

1. Connect the device to a USB port
2. Open a shell console???
3. Write some code, but I don't know what.

I've be happy to read and learn, but I cannot find some basic info about this, for example, how do I run the jb.sh from the serial shell???

I really don't have any idea how to go forward at the point where I connect the MOBO to USB.

Sorry because the probably obvious questions for experts that may think, but I'm new to this, specially on Linux.
Look at the KT2 Exposed thread, decent pictures, including the PW2.

I am pretty sure I put the connection diagram in it for the currently recommended adapter board.

When you plug into the Linux PC, it will id the new serial cable -
Configure minicom to use that device @ 115000, 8 bits, no flow control, no parity, 2 stop bits.

No code to write, just a few commands to enter.

Last edited by knc1; 01-12-2015 at 02:06 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:45 PM   #5
rrrvxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Look at the KT2 Exposed thread, decent pictures, including the PW2.

I am pretty sure I put the connection diagram in it for the currently recommended adapter board.

When you plug into the Linux PC, it will id the new serial cable -
Configure minicom to use that device @ 115000, 8 bits, no flow control, no parity, 2 stop bits.

No code to write, just a few commands to enter.

Hi, thanks for the reply, I just finished reading a lot of threads including the one you provide, I learned a lot, thanks!

However, there still some things I don't understand (sorry I'm just the "normal noob" user). So far what I conclude I should do is this:

1. Buy the USB adapter (it seems the model is MicroFTX, any alternative on eBay???)

2. Solder the following:

a. From kindle MOBO (Ground) to the Adapter (Ground)
b From kindle MOBO (RX) to the Adapter (TX)
c. From kindle MOBO (TX) to the Adapter (RX)

d. From kindle MOBO (???) to the Adapter (Voltage ???)

At this last point I'm stuck. I know that the voltage should be 1.8v right?, but cannot find where should I take it from the PW2 MOBO. Also, I noticed that if I buy that adapter I should ask to be configured to configuration # 3 (J1-closed; J2-Open; J3-closed; J4-Open), right?

Another doubt I have is what type of wire should I use for solder the MOBO point to the adapter.

Let's suppose that I already did the properly soldering. Then I should connect from the micro USB of the adapter to any USB port of my linux laptop right?

So what I understood and suppose from the last message, is that when I connect I will see some kind of window pop up that will ask for configuration, I suppose that at this point I'll have to make this configuration:

"When you plug into the Linux PC, it will id the new serial cable -
Configure minicom to use that device @ 115000, 8 bits, no flow control, no parity, 2 stop bits."

Ok, from here (if I get to this point) I don't know how to proceed, what commands I have to do? and more importantly, how can I jailbreak the device? I mean, how to upload the jailbreak files to the device? I've been told that:

"Once you have a console shell over the serial interface, simply unpack the usual jailbreak the usual way. But instead of using Update Your Kindle, you are running the jb.sh from the serial shell."

But I cannot figure it out how to do this. Do I have to transfer the files through USB to the kindle BEFORE doing any attempt to jailbreak? and what command I have to use to run the jb.sh from the serial shell ???

Thanks for replying. When I figure this out I'll be doing a step by step with video and pictures to anyone is like me today, giving the proper acknowledgments to anyone who helps. Thank you!
Advert
Old 01-13-2015, 08:06 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi, thanks for the reply, I just finished reading a lot of threads including the one you provide, I learned a lot, thanks!

However, there still some things I don't understand (sorry I'm just the "normal noob" user). So far what I conclude I should do is this:

1. Buy the USB adapter (it seems the model is MicroFTX, any alternative on eBay???)
You can buy that from their eBay (or eBay-like) site.
If your question really is: "Can I find cheapr?"
Then the answer is: "Maybe, but not well documented."
Quote:

2. Solder the following:

a. From kindle MOBO (Ground) to the Adapter (Ground)
b From kindle MOBO (RX) to the Adapter (TX)
c. From kindle MOBO (TX) to the Adapter (RX)

d. From kindle MOBO (???) to the Adapter (Voltage ???)

At this last point I'm stuck. I know that the voltage should be 1.8v right?, but cannot find where should I take it from the PW2 MOBO.
The (at least one of) point to pick up the 1v8 interface reference on a PW2 MOBO is shown in this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...25&postcount=3

Quote:
Also, I noticed that if I buy that adapter I should ask to be configured to configuration # 3 (J1-closed; J2-Open; J3-closed; J4-Open), right?

Another doubt I have is what type of wire should I use for solder the MOBO point to the adapter.
You had better look at those connection points - they are tiny!

30gauge with kepton insulation (sold as "wire-wrap" wire) is a good match.
Quote:
Let's suppose that I already did the properly soldering. Then I should connect from the micro USB of the adapter to any USB port of my linux laptop right?

So what I understood and suppose from the last message, is that when I connect I will see some kind of window pop up that will ask for configuration, I suppose that at this point I'll have to make this configuration:
No pop-up window.
In a terminal window, do:
Code:
dmesg
The discovery messages for the serial device will be among the very recent messages and will give what device the kernel assigned to the serial port.
Quote:

"When you plug into the Linux PC, it will id the new serial cable -
Configure minicom to use that device @ 115000, 8 bits, no flow control, no parity, 2 stop bits."

Ok, from here (if I get to this point) I don't know how to proceed, what commands I have to do? and more importantly, how can I jailbreak the device? I mean, how to upload the jailbreak files to the device? I've been told that:

"Once you have a console shell over the serial interface, simply unpack the usual jailbreak the usual way. But instead of using Update Your Kindle, you are running the jb.sh from the serial shell."

But I cannot figure it out how to do this. Do I have to transfer the files through USB to the kindle BEFORE doing any attempt to jailbreak? and what command I have to use to run the jb.sh from the serial shell ???
Get past the actual connection set-up so that you have communications over the serial port, and then we can continue with directions, depending on what messages you see.
Quote:
Thanks for replying. When I figure this out I'll be doing a step by step with video and pictures to anyone is like me today, giving the proper acknowledgments to anyone who helps. Thank you!

Last edited by knc1; 04-20-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:43 PM   #7
rrrvxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Get past the actual connection set-up so that you have communications over the serial port, and then we can continue with directions, depending on what messages you see.

Thank you so much! I'll be informing any progress to the forum. First I´ll be buying the adapter and waiting to arrive.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:57 AM   #8
semicomatose
semicomatose began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 2
Just replying to support this effort and to say that OP is a pretty cool guy.
semicomatose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:17 AM   #9
volkaoth
Enthusiast
volkaoth began at the beginning.

Device: KT2
Hello everyone!

Im also a noob to hacking such a stuff.
So Im hooking up in this thread.

I want to use a KT2 or Kindle 7. Generation with SerialNumber: 90C6...
The sad important fact it has FW 5.6.1.0.2
so I think this thread is what i need
and the difference to PW2 is only hardwarerelated.

I want to run kvncviewer on this device.
Is this possible?
By searching the forum i found no comment against it ....

so i need a little help, witch steps i have to do.
I think I have to do:
1.unmantle the device and solder a serial connection
2. getting root access like in this post rootaccess to Basic Kindle FW5.6.0
3. install the jailbreak-bin
4. install MRPI
5. install usbnetwork
6. install the kvncviewer (x11vnc_kindle)
7. acess the server over ssh and have fun with an external monitor

Or did I get something wrong, so far?

for Step 1:
I want to use a 'USB UART Adapter with CP2104' so i can use 1.8V logic level with an lab power adaptor and then I have to follow the "how-to-root-access"

------
but how to enter diag-mode, or is the KT2 automatical in diag mode if the bootsequence is interrupted?
and how to change in 'normal mode' after that, or is this done automatically by rebooting?

Last edited by volkaoth; 01-19-2015 at 09:49 AM. Reason: *using MRPI for installing new packages
volkaoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:37 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

If doing this on a KT2 - the 1.8 volt reference voltage is available from the mother board.
read the KT2 Exposed thread.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:41 AM   #11
volkaoth
Enthusiast

btw: Im plotting my progress step by step with all problems i triped on.
So this is a howto by a noob for all other noobs :-)

so, first step done:
serial connector solderd and working ... under windows ...

now I have to get the connection with linux and I have to use a kubuntu-USB-Stick, i hope it works im also a linux-noob

btw. this USB-UART-Bridge works fine

I use this USB-UART-bridge: in-circuit cp2104 uart bridge and its available on amazon, fairly ironic to buy it there
The drivers working well, so its a good match to ftdi i think.

I had to resolder the GND-wire, thats a typical problem with solderpoints on a big GND-Plate, but the EM-covers are also grounded, so its solderpoints are good alternatives.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	connect_serial.jpg
Views:	5753
Size:	427.5 KB
ID:	133987  

Last edited by volkaoth; 01-21-2015 at 02:24 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:33 AM   #12
volkaoth
Enthusiast

step 2: getting root-access on kindle : solved

I did like hondamarlboro told it in: How-to obtain root access of New Basic Kindle (2014) FW5.6.0.1

I am not allowed to change the computersystem (yes, its not my homepc), so I using a kubuntu USB-Stick version and it works quite well.
I had to install the cp210x drivers and minicom and then connect to my kindle like knc1 wrote bevor in this thread.

*first i thought minicom did not work, but the kindle was in sleepmode once running i got messages and i was able to type commands

next problem was the pyhton script.
It took a while to realise I simply had to execute it on my pc not try to get it running on the kindle
Thanks to Glorfindel@IRC - the intern irc-client is very nice forumfeature btw. -
I got the Root-PW-Generator-Page and got my root-pw with it.
The PW by the phytonscript mentioned in hondamarlboros 'HowTo-root-access' was not functional (ok, my rootpw 'mario' should be the first try for someone who is familiar with kindles ... )

Last edited by volkaoth; 01-21-2015 at 04:24 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:49 AM   #13
volkaoth
Enthusiast

its quite tricky to find an 'manual jb tutorial'
so I think manual jb means:
1. after getting root-access I have to switch in USB-download mode (doesn't matter which way)
2. copy the actual jealbreak datas on my kindle.
The actual jb should be "JailBreak v1.14.N" mentioned by NiLuJe.
3. entering my kindle in diagmode over serial and executing the JB.
4. then it should be jailbroken and i can install MRPI with this I can install USBNetwork and Kvncviewer

Am I right
or did I forget something?
Old 01-21-2015, 05:35 AM   #14
volkaoth
Enthusiast

or further explained:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
INSTALL:

Jailbreak:

Download the attached kindle-jailbreak-1.14.N.zip file, and unpack it. In here, you'll find a few files.
Unzip the contents of the kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip archive to the root directory of your Kindle.
[...]

root directory = /mnt/us
and then I have to reboot with root-access in diagmode an run the jb.sh,
then again reboot in normal mode and the Kindle should be jailbroken.

So if one of the experienced hackers around can just reply with 'Yes','No' or 'retard' I would be pleased
Old 01-21-2015, 06:25 AM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

That sounds right, did it work for you?

- - - -

One point about the terminology -
That is "USB Storage Mode" not "USB Downloader Mode".

I.E:
Export the Kindle's user storage area in the "mass storage mode" usually used to transfer books (and files) from the PC to the Kindle.

Transfer the **contents** of ... to the root (top most) directory of the user storage area as seen by the PC.

From the internal file system view given over the serial port, the top most directory is known as the path: /mnt/us/

In that directory (I.E: cd /mnt/us/ ), as the user named 'root' (which you should be over the serial port), with the Kindle running in the 'Main' mode (not in 'Diags' mode), execute the script named: jb.sh

The above (or something very similar) should do the trick.
I probably left out some re-boot and mode switching (the Kindles are dual-boot systems) in the above.
Just fill in the details I skipped over.

Last edited by knc1; 01-21-2015 at 06:28 AM.