Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-26-2014, 11:49 AM   #1
uppon2
Connoisseur
uppon2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG & iRiver Story (Original)
Does Kobo offer a similar feature like Whispersync from Kindle?

uppon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 01:20 AM   #2
uppon2
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by uppon2 View Post
Awesome. Thanks for the help, everyone. LOL
Advert
Old 12-27-2014, 05:17 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I for one have NO idea what Whispersync is, so it's very VERY hard for me to answer your question.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:30 AM   #4
uppon2
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I for one have NO idea what Whispersync is, so it's very VERY hard for me to answer your question.
It's basically where you get the option to also purchase the audiobook for the same ebook you are buying. That way you can listen to some when you want, and also read some if you want. The best part about it is that it remembers where you are up to, no matter which way you are enjoying the book.

This is what Amazon list it as:

When you can't read, listen.
Now you can switch between reading and listening to your Kindle books in the Kindle App.

Just pop in your headphones, tap the button, and keep the story going...in the car, in the gym, in the kitchen, wherever your day takes you. Whenever your eyes are occupied but your mind is free, your story is ready for listening.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:30 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nope... Kobo do not have that feature. I don't believe they sell ANY audio books. Remember, Amazon purchased Audible and that is where the audio material originates.
Advert
Old 12-27-2014, 12:33 PM   #6
uppon2
Connoisseur

Thanks mate
Old 12-27-2014, 05:50 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
That is not what what Whispersync is. Whispersync is where you get to sync your reading location, bookmarks, and highlights across all your registered Kindle devices and apps.

What you are talking about is a different term.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 05:52 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Great so ignore my original answer.

Kobo DO sync reading location etc for books downloaded in Kobo ePub format from their servers.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:53 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Great so ignore my original answer.

Kobo DO sync reading location etc for books downloaded in Kobo ePub format from their servers.
The OP is using the wrong term for what he's describing. He's talking about syncing an Audible audiobook with a Kindle eBook. There is a term for it, but I'm not going to bother to look it up. Oh and it only works on a Kindle tablet as Kindles no longer have audio.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:55 PM   #10
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Does Kobo sell ereaders with Audio...speakers or head phone connections?
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:31 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Only the Android based Tablets, for which they have said there will be no new models.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:12 PM   #12
uppon2
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The OP is using the wrong term for what he's describing. He's talking about syncing an Audible audiobook with a Kindle eBook. There is a term for it, but I'm not going to bother to look it up. Oh and it only works on a Kindle tablet as Kindles no longer have audio.
Google definition "Whispersync is Amazon's technology that lets readers switch back and forth between a Kindle book and Audible professional narration - without ever losing your place. The way it works is that you first buy the Kindle book, and then for Whispersync enabled books you can add the Audibile audiobook to the purchase."

JSWolf: Are you telling me that you can't use this feature unless you have multiple devices? I'm referring to using audio enabled devices only

Unless you are not elaborating on all of Whispersync features, I think you are getting confused with what I'm asking. This is straight from amazon website

"Read. Listen. Repeat.Read With:Listen With:You can switch from reading to listening within the Kindle Fire Tablet or Kindle app. Or, you can switch between reading on one device and listening on another. For example, you can read on your tablet and then listen on your smartphone, and, thanks to Whispersync for Voice, you'll never lose your place"

Amazon make it look like "Read. Listen. Repeat.Read With:Listen With" feature is part of Whispersync, or at least exclusively related to it.

Last edited by uppon2; 12-27-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:57 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I just looked it up and what you are talking about is Whispersync for Audio. I gave the correct definition for Whispersync.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:04 PM   #14
uppon2
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just looked it up and what you are talking about is Whispersync for Audio. I gave the correct definition for Whispersync.
So Whispersync can do what I am talking about; it is just called Whispersync for Audio. I guess we had our wires crossed. I am glad we got there in the end.

It's a shame that Kobo does not offer something like this!
Old 12-27-2014, 10:08 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by uppon2 View Post
So Whispersync can do what I am talking about; it is just called Whispersync for Audio. I guess we had our wires crossed. I am glad we got there in the end.

It's a shame that Kobo does not offer something like this!
Amazon can do this because they own Audible. Thus they can have Audible audiobooks modified to support this. Kobo cannot.