Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 11-28-2014, 02:45 PM   #1
Paulie_D
Connoisseur
Paulie_D began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Tab 4
Regex Function - Split unknown word

I've been just getting to play with the Regex Functions and am loving it so far.

I am completely useless at this sort of thing but wondered whether a function could be written that could identify words not in the dictionary and check to see if they could be split into two known words.*

The hyphen function seems to do something similar so I thought I would consult the more 'function-minded' here for ideas.

* Yes I am aware of the possible pitfalls.
Paulie_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Paulie_D - the spell checker will usually offer a sensible correction to misspellings caused by two words joinedtogether.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	131707  
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2014, 03:35 PM   #3
Paulie_D
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Paulie_D - the spell checker will usually offer a sensible correction to misspellings caused by two words joinedtogether.
I see what you did there.

Yes I know but on some of the books I have I have literally hundreds of joined words and doing them one by one is extremely laborious.

I'm just hoping.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:09 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie_D View Post
I see what you did there.

Yes I know but on some of the books I have I have literally hundreds of joined words and doing them one by one is extremely laborious.

I'm just hoping.
I suspect your epub originated from a scanned document or PDF. A search of the Workshop forum might yield something.

I've had a few books originating from PDF scans that were infested with hundreds of joined up words. Usually they've involved a limited number of common words (often proper nouns) so LondonBridge, ofLondon, Londonstreets, leaveLondon etc. With a few simple Regexs I was able to deal with 80% quite quickly. And then I used the spell checker for the remaining 20% - which might have 3 or even 4 words joined together.

BR
Old 11-28-2014, 04:33 PM   #5
Paulie_D
Connoisseur

Quote:
Usually they've involved a limited number of common words (often proper nouns) so LondonBridge, ofLondon, Londonstreets, leaveLondon etc. With a few simple Regexs I was able to deal with 80% quite quickly. And then I used the spell checker for the remaining 20% - which might have 3 or even 4 words joined together.

BR
Yes...I can handle most simple regex search with a [A-Z] immediately after an [a-z].

Unfortunately, I have many that are just two proper lowercase words joined together, often starting with 'the' or 'some' or somesuch.

I could cycle through a dozen regex s&r (checking each 'find' and confirming them individually) but I was hoping there might be an easier way.
Advert
Old 11-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

If you have or have access to the original PDF (if that's what it was) then you could rescan using the Abbyy Fine Print software - most of the aficionados seem to think it's the best of breed.

Have you looked at this ==>> Function Mode for Search & Replace in the Editor. I suspect it could be used do what you want (maybe wrapped in an editor PI). But as it was only released last week I would guess there's not a very large body of expertise in its usage as yet.

BR
Old 11-28-2014, 05:56 PM   #7
Paulie_D
Connoisseur

Quote:
Have you looked at this ==>> Function Mode for Search & Replace in the Editor. I suspect it could be used do what you want (maybe wrapped in an editor PI). But as it was only released last week I would guess there's not a very large body of expertise in its usage as yet.

BR
Which is what I asked for in the first place....

Quote:
I .... wondered whether a function could be written that could identify words not in the dictionary and check to see if they could be split into two known words.*

The hyphen function seems to do something similar so I thought I would consult the more 'function-minded' here for ideas.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:57 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Which is what I asked for in the first place....
As I said the body of knowledge is sparse, it was only when I was thinking... but a regex engine can't access a dictionary... that I remembered seeing the reference to dictionaries in the Function Mode doco last week.

Good luck.

BR
Old 11-28-2014, 09:39 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Here you go, I haven't really tested it, so you might have to adjust it a little:

Code:
import regex
from calibre import replace_entities, prepare_string_for_xml

def replace(match, number, file_name, metadata, dictionaries, data, functions, *args, **kwargs):
    def fix_word(m):
        word = m.group()
        if dictionaries.recognized(word):
            return word
        for i in xrange(1, len(word) - 1):
            a, b = word[:i], word[i:]
            if dictionaries.recognized(a) and dictionaries.recognized(b):
                return a + ' ' + b
        return word
    text = replace_entities(match.group(1))
    text = regex.sub(r'\b\w+\b', fix_word, text, flags=regex.VERSION1)
    text = prepare_string_for_xml(text)
    return '>' + text + '<'

Use it with the find expression

>([^<]+)<
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 02:57 AM   #10
Paulie_D
Connoisseur

Wow!

I'll have a good play with this....thank you so very much Kovid.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:55 AM   #11
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Hi

This kind of thing (two known words stuck together) happens quite often, most probably like BetterRed said, as the result of a botched scan.

I tried to make work the above function - I use a French dictionary with the Calibre spellchecker - but I failed (it reported it found nothing when I had a glaring example under the nose).

I probably missed something obvious. I use Linux Mint 17 and I have some Python inside it...

Could a good soul provide a basic example of this function that we could replicate and maybe a screenshot?

Last edited by roger64; 11-29-2014 at 05:58 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:41 AM   #12
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra II
I just tried it and it worked fine... although (with an English book) it split the name "Tula" into "Tu" and "la", as if it was using a French dictionary!

Incidentally, when a function like this doesn't work, is there any way to debug it?
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:58 AM   #13
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phssthpok View Post
I just tried it and it worked fine.../...
I created a new function using the text above, and I tried with the 'find' expression
Quote:
>([^<]+)<
, and it found nothing.

Please, could you tell me exactly what you did you write in 'Find' field?
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/func...your-functions
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:19 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phssthpok View Post
I just tried it and it worked fine... although (with an English book) it split the name "Tula" into "Tu" and "la", as if it was using a French dictionary!
"Tu la" sounds more like Singaporean Latin to me

BR