Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-11-2014, 05:59 PM   #1
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Apps to install on your T68.

Here's what I have used so far.

Reading apps

Any apps that can't turn off page animation look pretty bad to me. These include Kindle, Scribd, and Google Play books. Some don't mind the distortion you see while the page is turning, but it's too much for me. Other than that they seem to work.

Moon+ is my favorite on my Nexus 7, and it works quite well here too. Just make sure you use the outdoor theme to get a white background and black text. Some if the menus have the white on white problem, but I used my Nexus as a guide for what settings I wanted.

Moon+ uses Color Dict dictionary and that works well. You need to install your preferred dictionary data, the ones you need are on the app install page. There are English and other languages available.

The Overdrive app works well, I downloaded a library book and turned off page animation.

Mantano works ok, it seems to have a page animation if you tap on the left of the screen but looks way better than Kindle, Scribd or Google and it's only when you go to the previous page.

Calibre Companion works very well, I have 800+ books on my T68 now. If you use Calibre, Calibre Companion is a must have for organizing your books on your device. There are even changes coming that help for eink.

I also installed InoReader rss reader and it works very well. IIRC it's a pain to set up so I restored the version that's on my Nexus 7 using Titanium Backup. Yes, Titanium Backup works if you're rooted, but the text is not visible in a number of places.

Other apps

ADW launcher - tried this one, but it seems to have caused "Unfortunately search has stopped" errors to pop up. It also did not return you to where you were in an app if you went back to the home screen - it took you to the initial screen in the app.

Nova launcher is what I am using now. Works great and you don't need to be rooted to use it. Using a launcher gives you access to the standard Android settings menu if you don't have it.

Home Switcher for Froyo - very helpful if you want to use a launcher app. It will list all launchers you have installed including the Onyx launcher. You can't see where you need to tap when it brings up the list, but just tap on the end of the line of the launcher you want. This allows you to have an Android launcher be the default when you tap the home button and still access the Onyx launcher.

Tapatalk installs and works too using the light theme, but quoted text can be hard to see.

ES File Explorer and Root Explorer are good file managers.

Swapps is good since there isn't a recent apps button. You can set favorite apps and widgets, recent apps, and all apps to come up with a swipe from within any app. The reader apps can't be in full screen so you need to tap in the center first.

Wifi widget - I use https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...fitogglewidget . I have it in Swapps and the widget pops up in whatever app you are in and disappears when you tap another area of the screen.

I had trouble with Opera mini - I couldn't make the fonts big enough and it crashed too. You can't install Dolphin mini through the Play Store, but I installed it on my Nexus 7 and restored it using Titanium Backup to the T68 and it's working better than Opera Mini.

Amazon appstore, Dropbox, Gsam battery monitor, and Thumb Keyboard all work. I am running out of space to install more apps! I have moved everything that allows it to the sd card.

The one issue in multiple apps is a problem where text doesn't show up on some menus - a sort of white text on white background, but usually in areas you won't need often.

What apps are you using?
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:38 AM   #2
Domen Lo
Starving artist
Domen Lo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Domen Lo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Domen Lo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Domen Lo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Galaxy Note 10.1 2014
I found News+/Greader to work well, it connects to feedly, but actually takes the content offline, so you read articles on the tablet in their entirety.

Also pocket, but the logic on Kobo Aura HD is actually nicer (since its made for eink).

Have you found anything regarding button remapping? Having buttons be configurable would be nice, especially the home-that-is-not-a-home-button
Domen Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2014, 08:24 PM   #3
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domen Lo View Post
I found News+/Greader to work well, it connects to feedly, but actually takes the content offline, so you read articles on the tablet in their entirety.

Also pocket, but the logic on Kobo Aura HD is actually nicer (since its made for eink).

Have you found anything regarding button remapping? Having buttons be configurable would be nice, especially the home-that-is-not-a-home-button
What do you mean by " home-that-is-not-a-home-button"? When I tap the home icon in the upper left it takes me to my Nova launcher home screen. I use Home switcher for Froyo as noted in the first post to get to the Onyx home screen.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:23 AM   #4
Domen Lo
Starving artist
Domen Lo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Domen Lo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Domen Lo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Domen Lo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Galaxy Note 10.1 2014
I meant that wonderful little shiny circle that's in place in the middle of the device below the screen
Domen Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:36 AM   #5
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domen Lo View Post
I meant that wonderful little shiny circle that's in place in the middle of the device below the screen
Oh, that ugly button that I never use and would make the tablet smaller and lighter if it wasn't there? No, I haven't looked for a way to map it. Although it makes the case I use fit better. I've never liked cases that have straps, but all the unused space at the bottom makes it fit ok without covering any of the usable space.
Advert
Old 07-16-2014, 04:40 PM   #6
EricArcadia
Connoisseur
EricArcadia began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7 (2013), Nook Glowlight with Simple Touch
Is there a way to add a shortcut for OnyxLauncher while using Nova Launcher? Don't know where I can locate it to add, I thought I read you can do that though.
EricArcadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:46 PM   #7
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricArcadia View Post
Is there a way to add a shortcut for OnyxLauncher while using Nova Launcher? Don't know where I can locate it to add, I thought I read you can do that though.
Use the home switcher for froyo - see first post
Old 07-16-2014, 05:08 PM   #8
EricArcadia
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Use the home switcher for froyo - see first post
O okay, so I'm guessing I can use that as the means to go back forth between these launchers. I thought I might of been able to get a shortcut inside the Nova launcher, but I guess this will do then, thanks.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:44 PM   #9
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricArcadia View Post
O okay, so I'm guessing I can use that as the means to go back forth between these launchers. I thought I might of been able to get a shortcut inside the Nova launcher, but I guess this will do then, thanks.
I wasn't able to create a shortcut in Nova launcher the same way as I did using ADW launcher and ADW launchdr caused too many problems for me. Using home switcher is just one extra tap to get to the Onyx launcher.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:30 PM   #10
jkrzok
Connoisseur
jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD, Aura One, Voyage, Oasis 1 & 2, Many others getting dusty.
Has anyone found a brightness control that actually works with Nova? Nothing of the the five apps I tried at the play store did anything. It seems like "Import from another launcher" in Nova might move the brightness control to Nova but all I get is a dark screen when I click that import button. Sure, using Home Switcher will get me there, but not simply or elegantly.
jkrzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:38 AM   #11
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrzok View Post
Has anyone found a brightness control that actually works with Nova? Nothing of the the five apps I tried at the play store did anything. It seems like "Import from another launcher" in Nova might move the brightness control to Nova but all I get is a dark screen when I click that import button. Sure, using Home Switcher will get me there, but not simply or elegantly.
I have sent my T68 back (defective) and am awaiting a new one, so I haven't tried this on it yet, but I have had success with AnyCut on other rooted devices. You can use it to create various kinds of shortcuts. See if it helps:https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.anycut&hl=en
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:11 PM   #12
EricArcadia
Connoisseur

The AnyCut App is good for making a shortcut for the OnyxLauncher. Besides that the MortPlayer is good for AudioBooks, and Perfect Viewer is good for reading mangas that are in zip file format.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:18 PM   #13
anabolina
Groupie
anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current: tablet, kindle paperwhite, onyx boox t68. Past: Sony, nook
My favorite app for my lynx(other than moon + and calibre companion) is smart launcher 2. It's so simple, especially for an EReader where you have very few apps that need to be on the home page. It doesnt have a lot of animations and is quick and I haven't had any stability issues. It's a big improvement over the stock launcher for me since I use moon+ for everything and don't use any of the built in reading apps so the old home page was useless to me. Just double click the useless button in the middle to turn on the back-light when needed. I use a simple black theme and all the icons are white. It's great for an EReader.

Also a WiFi widget is invaluable as mentioned above. Seriously worth it since there appears to be no way to change how long the WiFi stays on.

I would post a pic if I remembered the pic guidelines, but I dont.

Last edited by anabolina; 07-21-2014 at 06:23 PM.
anabolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:15 AM   #14
hubertphava
Connoisseur
hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus, Onyx-Boox Poke5
Found and testing this:
"EBook reader & Free epub books"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.reader&hl=it

A very good epub reader app ( still don't know other formats but i read quite exclusively epub) forked from CR3.
It permits lots of customizations, works well in T68, should permit[1] interactions with several dictionaries eccecc.
Also fonts confi is fully supported.

Last but not least, t's a GNU-GPL'd app...

Some annoyings:

* the cover is not 100% screen displayed ( already emailed to the developer for this but i think it can be done by EBR's internal CSS - perhaps rooting needed but i've to investigate);

* in the first run, interface is in a woody flavour, not so good for eink devices ( oK, good for android tablets and phones ;-) but it's easy to change in a most white theme and is possible to use owner's tile, installing a jpg in /SDcard/.CR3 folder.

* strange behaviour of the right buttons: their funcions result inverted ( bottom go back and vice-versa) but i think it can be fixed
using menu configuration for "Volume buttons".

[1] Still not installed and tested any dicts but it's specified in the google-play page of the app.

...to be continued

HP
hubertphava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:56 PM   #15
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
I just wonder (I don't have T68) but on my androids I have installed Bluelight Filter from play store. Surely it wouldn't change color - but would it dim the (so I hear) too bright minimum light setting for night reading assuming it's compatible? Very curious.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote